22k switch compatibility with Nexus card?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hkeiner

Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
I am a newbie but it is my nature to want to know what the heck I am doing in regards to my planned DVB-S setup.... Specifically, I want to be sure the Nexus card and 22K switch I have will work together OK before I set up my two dishes on my very high roof and do the inevitable installation troubleshooting of software settings, dish pointing, etc.
I have read several posts that seem to indicate that a 22k switch works OK with a Nexus card. However, the Hauppauge web site clearly states that any switch box used must be a diseqc switch (see quote below). This appears contradictory...
Does anyone have any enlightenment for me as to whether a 22K switch is really compatible with a Nexus card, and if so, why it is compatible when the Hauppauge website says that it is not? Is is because third party software (MyTheatre or ProgDVB, for example) overcomes the Nexus card's limitation by sending a 22k signal/tone (through the Nexus card) to the 22k switch while the Nexus card and Hauppauge provided software doesn't generate/send a 22k signal/tone?
The relevant text from the Hauppauge website is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition, you need a connection to a digital ('combo' or 'high-band') satellite system. If this system incorporates a switch-box, this switch box needs to be DiSEqC (Digital Satellite Equipment Control) compatible. The physical connection on the WinTV-DVB-s card is a single F-Connector.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 274
Last edited by a moderator:
WELCOME to the FTA forum Hkeiner!

I changed your picture to a thumbnail, loads faster for our members still on dial up, then they can choose to open the picture or not.

Nice to have you here!

TO KORSJS: Thanks for moving my post to the appropriate forum. I didn't see the forum specific to DVB-S cards earlier when I first browsed this site.

In response to your question, I don't know yet to which FTA satellites I will first try to connect. At this point, I have two DTV single LNB dishes and a 22K switch in the garage and a Nexus card still in its box from the retailer. After I confirm that my hardware will work OK, I plan to install the dishes, switch, and Nexus card and then try and find two FTA satelittes with channels worthwhile to watch. If I later determine that I want to easily connect to more than two satellites, I'll probably have to upgrade to a motor to switch satellites more easily.

Being a newbie, I am not sure that this plan makes sense but I am trying to go slow and avoid buying a lot of stuff until I know I like this whole FTA thing. The reason I bought a more expensive Nexus card is that I already have a Hauppauge PVR-250 card (with onboard hardware encoder) that I use for my cable and I am convinced beyond a doubt that on-board encoding (vs. software encoding) is the best way to go.

I live in northern California.

Pete,

Do you have an answer to my posted questions about a 22k switch working with a Nexus card?

Thanks

Sorry no, I do not use that card or ANY 22KHz switch. I would stick with the manufacturers advice, but thats me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts