24" Dish elevation setting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vacosta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
KCMO
I have a Voom 24" dish that I'm trying to set up for FTA. I know it can be done, albeit with difficulty, because there are a few posts of other members picking up a signal.

What I need to know, since my positioning has to be right on, is if I can use my angle meter to set the elevation and where to place it. The lnb arm on this dish does not angle to the true elevation angle as a larger Winegard dish would and I don't trust the side markings very much. Does anybody know if there is an offset +/- for the lnb arm and what that might be? THX!

the offset is 22 degrees

the 24" will work for the stronger transponders but a cloud cover and you'll lose the signal

Assuming the lnb arm came with the dish and was made for it, why would it not be correct for that dish? You only need to point the dish at the satellite you're trying to get. What sat are you trying for? It's a small dish for FTA reception. It will probably only be good for some ITC channels on a DBS bird, not to many of those, wouldn't be worth it for me.

Al

I appreciate the offset number Berg. Will give it a try since I have the dish anyways and will use it only for one sat, not sure which yet but I guess it will be for the one with the strongest tp.

Thanks for the input Al. I just hate to throw out the dish if it can be useful for even one sat. That's good enough for me

my experience w. small dish

Vacosta said:
I have a Voom 24" dish that I'm trying to set up for FTA. I know it can be done, albeit with difficulty, because there are a few posts of other members picking up a signal.

What I need to know, since my positioning has to be right on, is if I can use my angle meter to set the elevation and where to place it. The lnb arm on this dish does not angle to the true elevation angle as a larger Winegard dish would and I don't trust the side markings very much. Does anybody know if there is an offset +/- for the lnb arm and what that might be? THX!

When I tried a 21" or so dish with ku lnb, the only transponders I got were the 3 strongest for my area on 121 degrees; I could not pick up 123 degree transponders at all. (I also did not look for 97 degrees as 123 degrees west should have been just as good.)
I know my skew wasn't the best but it was quite difficult with anything less
than a thirty inch dish antenna , IMHO.:cool:

With a 24" I was able to get the chinese channels on G3, Doc Scott and a couple other strong transponders on IA6...I lucked out as my TS is IA6. I think I did get a couple of the strong transponders on IA5.

Iceberg said:
you will need a different LNB for FTA

Voom used circular polarity...FTA is linear :)

I actually bought an LNB adapter from Sadoun just for this occasion so no problem using my linear LNB's.

I would like to get IA6. If you can get it in MN maybe there's a chance I can get it in MO. Just want Azteca which is pretty stong signal.

oh yeah...no issues with Azteca. One of the strongest transponders out there on IA6 (next to crazy Doc Scott)

Your numbers for IA6 (I used KC as the city)
44.7 elevation
174 elevation
skew is -1.1 which if you cant skew the LNB thats fine. -1.1 really wont make much difference from 0

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)