24 inch dish install

DIGITAL~DAN

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 9, 2004
WILMINGTON,N.C
Hello to all I just received word from install inc. that they are going to install a 24 inch dish or a 30 inch at my house to see if it will cut down on some of the rain fade problems that occur from time to time.I know some of you out there have had this done in the past.I would like everyone who has had this done to post their results so I can let WILT and the engineering staff at voom no if this is a possible solution to the DREADED RAIN-FADE ISSUE.The reason I am asking this is because their may be a good chance that voom will make the 24 inch or the 30 inch as their primary dish in the near future.THANKS in advance to every ones help and support on this issue......................DIGITAL~DAN-----------MODERATOR

I just got a reply back that I too am getting a larger dish. I would also like to know if it helps w/ the rainfade and does it increase signal strength?

DIGITAL~DAN said:
Hello to all I just received word from install inc. that they are going to install a 24 inch dish or a 30 inch at my house to see if it will cut down on some of the rain fade problems that occur from time to time.I know some of you out there have had this done in the past.I would like everyone who has had this done to post their results so I can let WILT and the engineering staff at voom no if this is a possible solution to the DREADED RAIN-FADE ISSUE.The reason I am asking this is because their may be a good chance that voom will make the 24 inch or the 30 inch as their primary dish in the near future.THANKS in advance to every ones help and support on this issue......................DIGITAL~DAN-----------MODERATOR

I installed my own 30" dish before voom started upgrading people. Before the software update my signal used to be high 40's. With new dish it went to high 70's. Had a heavy rain here last week and picture didn't flicker. With Voom installed dish I lost signal in light rain. It solved my problem. It was easy to align dish, although people say it is harder to aim, I had no problem.

Well, with the 18" dish, I lost my signal (dropped 40 points)with a light drizzle but kept signal with heavier rain (dropped 3-4 points only). Others have reported similar occurance in that a light drizzle seems to affect the reception more than a heavy down pour.

Now that I have a 24" dish, we have had nothing but sunshine and 70-80 degree tenperature. I'm afraid that our weather conditions will remain like this until October/November so I will not know if the 24" dish helps with my rain fade problem.

Shelly

DIGITAL~DAN said:

They know a larger dish will reduce rain fade, you don't need to convince them. At least I would hope that someone in the sat business would know that. The only real question is how big of a dish is required. A 24" dish will reduce the effects of rain fade, but not eliminate it. A 30" dish may come close to eliminating it, but a torrential downpour could still cause rain fade. So - they are trying to decide whether a 24" will do the trick. If they switch to 24", I suspect they could do that fairly cheaply and it would give them an advantage over the competition. Then if they have complaints they upgrade those people to 30". I bet that the cost of the switch to 24" would be more than recouped by the customers they will retain in doing so - how many have they lost due to signal issues?

isnt D*'s dish only 18x20? I have one and I didnt have many problems with that. Therefore 24" should be the ticket.

I'm using my own 24" dish and in the Northwest, I still lose the signal when it rains, so I'm thinking of going with a 30".

In the northwest with the satellite lower on the horizon, wouldn't you be trying to shoot through more rain? Sounds stupid doesn't it. ;)

24 incher

I'm in Northeast. With 18"er quality dropped into the 60's routinely when raining, now with 24"er (my own purchase unfortunately) I haven't seen it go below 85 yet. On a clear day the quality has been 96-97 since the upgrade. Althouth the past few days it seems to be a touch lower, around 94. Not sure if it needs to be re-pointed or if it's because the leaves are coming out. It does not appear that the trees are in the LOS to the satellite from what I can see. Anyway, thus far the 24" seems to be ok here. Left coasters may need more muscle.

I'm in Detroit and experience big time rain fade issues. I had the installers come out and re-peak the dish but that didn't work. I've just requested a 30" dish.

rollerfink said:
I'm in Detroit and experience big time rain fade issues. I had the installers come out and re-peak the dish but that didn't work. I've just requested a 30" dish.

I'm in the central US, and though I asked for an upgrade to 30" they said they would try 24" first. I would be surprised if they agreed to a 30" without trying a 24", particularly for folks in the eastern 2/3 of the US. I can see them jumping up to 30" for folks in the NW (Oregon, Washington) area. By now they probably have developed an idea where 30" will be required but will try 24" everywhere else.

bbtkd said:
I'm in the central US, and though I asked for an upgrade to 30" they said they would try 24" first. I would be surprised if they agreed to a 30" without trying a 24", particularly for folks in the eastern 2/3 of the US. I can see them jumping up to 30" for folks in the NW (Oregon, Washington) area. By now they probably have developed an idea where 30" will be required but will try 24" everywhere else.

That's what happened to me as well. I asked for a 30" and they authorized just the 24". The 24" is installed and just waiting for rain now.

Shelly

I just finished tweaking my dish and my signal jumped about 10 points and the color bar went from Yellow to Green. I'm now sitting around 94 on a clearing day after a horrendous rainstorm that brought my Voom to it's knees with an absolute ZERO reading. That was one of the hardest rains I've seen in a long time, yet my Dish was still operating. It would be nice if Voom could mirror their service on a West coast satellite.

i had a 30" installed this week .signal ouality went from 78 to 97 and sinal power went from 60 to 75 .have not seen any rain yet.we will see

I asked for a bigger dish here in Hampton Roads, Va and the installer said that Voom hasn't shipped them any bigger dishes. So I guess I will have to wait for a bigger dish.

jimmykce1 said:
I asked for a bigger dish here in Hampton Roads, Va and the installer said that Voom hasn't shipped them any bigger dishes. So I guess I will have to wait for a bigger dish.

You should try e-mailing Joe Harkins at intallers inc. -- jharkins@installs.com

He e-mailed me back today and said he has requested a service call to install a bigger dish (didn't say if it was 24" or 30").

30" dish

I ordered a 30" dish from a dealer to replace the 18" dish that they
installed here in Oregon. My signal level went from a 40 to 97. I still
get rain fade but not as bad. My dish is almost pointing towards the
ground in order to receive the low angle signal from Voom. I can not
believe that Voom only installs 18" dishes in this area and did not know
that they would replace it until I found this site. I love the programming
on Voom but am very unhappy about the OTH mapping. Been fighting
for over two months to get it correct for this area and again, did not
know about this site. They keep telling me that the new soft ware
will be out shortly and that should solve most of the problems for all.
Sure hope they add USA Network soon as I really miss that lineup.
This is a GREAT site so please keep up the good work. Lots of info.
Terry

Will any 24"

dish will do the trick or i need some specific 24" dish to go with VOOM.

Also, signal strength of 50 or 95--> Does the picture quality change with signal strength ?

No, the pq will not change with ss, your picture will start breaking up at around 71 and at 70 will be gone.

I don't know

which ss you are talking about 'coz my samsung voom box show's a signal strength of 55 only and i don't see a problem with pq.

Is there any other ss that i should know off.

Installer had these papers from voom which tells that ss should be in 30-60 range as voom have different calculation logic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)