Voom install on the way, adios dish

Jerico1

Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Inola,Oklahoma
We've been with Dish for many years, never asked for or received any upgrades from our(ancient) Dish 500 service until just recently when we bought a HDTV & wanted to receive Dish programming in 3 rooms instead of just 1 room, also wanted to record some programming. Tried in vain to get a receiver upgrade to a 522 receiver after receiving all the adds in the mail about the upgrades. I was told i was not elgible for the upgrade, something to do with boundaries, per a csr,???? To make a long story short , i tried several ways to get this upgrade as many of the new subs were getting the 522 as well as the 510 receivers just for signing on to Dish.No luck, unless i wanted to pay like $549 for the receiver from Radio Shack or some other place. Had to ask myself, why doesn't Dish have the most concern for a tried & true customer, instead of for a new sub.This did a slow burn on me & after much deliberation & searching i decided to sign on with Voom. I know i'm taking a chance on Mr. Dolan really pulling something off to keep the Voom service in operation. But for $1.00 for 3 rooms of HDTV, what have i got to lose. When everyone goes to MPEG4, all the receivers will have to be changed anyway, & in 6 months i can do or go wherever i want to. Good luck to you Mr. Dolan. I am on several forums & some with as many as 50,000+ members. I believe i can help spread the word on Voom. Regards, Jerico1

Hi Jerico,

I was an early E* customer myself and I just shut it off.....today when my Voom got installed. I've had a couple of issues with DISH that didn't sit right with me either. It felt like the day I took my cablebox back in and said "Here. Take it" DISH got so big...so fast. I'm enjoying Voom the way I did in the early days of DISH. I don't mind that it's still buggy and new. That is half the fun of discovery. There is life after DISH.

My situation with Dish was similar. As an existing long-time customer that paid a fortune for my initial install, I could not get the HD package they were offering new customers with a second HD receiver rented at $5/month. They insisted that I had to pay $500 to buy it.

Well, they lost my business, most likely for good (I still won't do business with MCI after they slammed me 17 years ago even though the initial alternatives cost me more) plus all the bad-mouthing I give to friends, co-workers, and relatives (there's also a nightmare dishmover story to go with this).

You're right, good deal for $1 and not much to lose with a 6 month commitment. Competition is good for everyone. I think you'll enjoy Voom, especially if they do continue to add new channels and grow!