24 series internal DECA with broadband connection question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kjlued

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
In your head
If you connect an ethernet cable to the HR24 it disables the internal deca.
This does not seem to be the case with the H24 as I have done this a couple times and it still had MRV. Will this be permanent or will it eventually stop working?

Also, I know that hooking the HR21,22,23 directly to the internet with MRV is not recommended as it turns the DVR in to the "central hub" and slows things down.
Will this have the same effect on a non-dvr unit?

Just curious because in some cases, the receiver is right where the internet is and if wiring it directly in certain receivers is just as good and won't effect the customers quality, it makes for a lot neater install then splitting it off and certainly saves an S-load of time. Also, I would think it is one less thing that could go wrong giving better reliability.

"Also, I know that hooking the HR21,22,23 directly to the internet with MRV is not recommended as it turns the DVR in to the "central hub" and slows things down. "

What do you mean exactly as I am connected directly to my own network and via the "unsupported method" but the DVR as all other pieces are connected through gigabit switches then cabled to a gigabit router (no additional DirecTV hardware) and I have no issues, throughput / speed or otherwise (including connectivity) anywhere on the network or any of the hardware.

I have set some up that way before, but was told here that it slows the system down.
Never stuck around long enough to see if it really does after the DVR fills up. lol

In an ethernet only MRV setup, using the second port on the DVR is not recommended as it requires CPU processing power to support it. This can mess up MRV operation. If you need another ethernet port at the receiver location, then buy an ethernet switch.

"Also, I know that hooking the HR21,22,23 directly to the internet with MRV is not recommended as it turns the DVR in to the "central hub" and slows things down. "

What do you mean exactly as I am connected directly to my own network and via the "unsupported method" but the DVR as all other pieces are connected through gigabit switches then cabled to a gigabit router (no additional DirecTV hardware) and I have no issues, throughput / speed or otherwise (including connectivity) anywhere on the network or any of the hardware.
New Customers who are getting MRV, are Recommeded the be installed with a HR24, instead of using say the old HR's.

MRV won't stop working just because you plug an ethernet cable into the receiver. The MRV data just travels through the ethernet cable instead of the coax.

New Customers who are getting MRV, are Recommeded the be installed with a HR24, instead of using say the old HR's.

I see and hear that, but there sure aren't all the "gremlins" everyone talks about and the unsupported method works with near perfection. It sure seems more simple for the average user to diagnose and troubleshoot compared to the coax method and DirecTV CSR and techs; at least that's the way it reads in all these MRV Help Me posts.

I install these daily and have yet to see a recommendation for any model # with or without MRV.
We get what they give us and that is what the customer gets.

MRV won't stop working just because you plug an ethernet cable into the receiver. The MRV data just travels through the ethernet cable instead of the coax.

Wrong, if you plug an ethernet cable in an HR24, it disables the internal DECA disabling that receiver from MRV.

In an ethernet only MRV setup, using the second port on the DVR is not recommended as it requires CPU processing power to support it. This can mess up MRV operation. If you need another ethernet port at the receiver location, then buy an ethernet switch.

Ok, that being said, on a system with an HR24 and an H24, is it ok to plug it in to the H24 as it does not use the processing power that a DVR would use?

That is what I am trying to find out.

Wrong, if you plug an ethernet cable in an HR24, it disables the internal DECA disabling that receiver from MRV.

My receiver must be defective. I am currently running one of my 2 HR24s on a purely ethernet connection, the other using its regular DECA and MRV works just fine. What is supposed to change?

Dunno, I have seen first hand though 2 different HR24's removed from MRV because it was plugged directly in to the internet disabling the internal DECA.

One house had just 2 HD/DVR (HR24 and HR23)
Other had 6 and the only one not on MRV was the 24 that was hooked in to the router.

I assume from the above, that a D tv system doesn't need access to an internet connection for any type of downloads form D tv?

My receiver must be defective. I am currently running one of my 2 HR24s on a purely ethernet connection, the other using its regular DECA and MRV works just fine. What is supposed to change?

I can see how it will work, as long as your DECA setup is connected to the same network. Unless you are really talented with networking and know how to prioritize packet traffic, you are slowing down MRV. By using Ethernet instead of DECA your sharing bandwidth with your other network traffic. I'm not sure why you would do it this way, your defeating the purpose of DECA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts