$25 internet install fee? Is this needed with WHDVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dem372

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
I am a little confused about the optional $25 install of internet service to the receivers when you order service. Is this required for the Whole Home DVR setup? I assumed that when they set up the WHDVR, it would have to include networking. Is this internet option something different? Or would i just be wasting my time ordering that particular option?

Also, on my current Uverse install, I have network jacks on the back of the receivers that allow me to plug in a computer, or Xbox, etc.. and receive an internet connection. Do the Directv receivers have anything like this once they are "internet enabled"?

Thanks!

I believe the installation of internet server to the receivers is for video on demand.

There is a network connection on the back of the receiver. You just have to plug in the network cable and if you router is configured to run dhcp already your receiver should be on the Internet.

When I was putting together my order online, a little "ad" for it came up on the side.

I believe the service fee is to either to connect a receiver(s) to the internet, or when it comes to a MRV install (DECA using the MoCA standard), it's hooking the DECA network to your router.

I put it on there so there was no doubt. Yes, I could have done that install, but just the DECA adapter and power supply together sell for $60 at Solid Signal. I figured by adding it to my order, it assured the internet connection would be alive and working when the installer left, including all the necessary hardware. Plus, since I paid for the install, it for sure would be supported should I have problems and need support.

Also, the CSR I talked to on the phone before ordering online said ordering MRV + the TV Internet Connection Service was the best way to assure HR24/H24s. I don't know that I believed him, but I figured it couldn't hurt either.

GOOD LUCK!

CRendall posted while I was typing. Yes, the internet connection would be for that plus for DirecTV2PC but like I said, via the DECA cloud, not direct to your receiver if your using MRV.

Last edited:
I believe the installation of internet server to the receivers is for video on demand.

There is a network connection on the back of the receiver. You just have to plug in the network cable and if you router is configured to run dhcp already your receiver should be on the Internet.

Thats a big fat negative. Plugging in this cable, will disable the DECA..aka no more MRV. The internet kit is to provide VOD access to your recievers.

The verbage from DirecTV...

For a one-time setup fee, the DIRECTV installer will connect your DIRECTV® System to your home Internet network so yo can enjoy:

•Full access to the entire library of over 6000 DIRECTV on DEMAND
titles, streamed instantly to your TV
•FREE interactive applications like Facebook, Flickr,
ScoreGuide and more, right on your TV
•Photos and music stored on your PC
•DVR recordings on your PC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts