.264 Converter

There is a freeware I've played around with a bit. It's called "Video to Video Converter." www.videotovideo.org

It lists an option for MP4AVC/264 on video profile menu, and also H264/AVC HD in various resolutions in an HD menu.

From. Trying to convert some videos from my security cam dvr. I used Handbreak to do this before, but I can't get that or anything to work now. Not sure what's going on.
Security DVRs often use proprietary containers so that messing with time stamp and/or editing aren't possible. GE DVRs are particularly fussy this way.

Was there a firmware update on the DVR or a CODEC update on the computer? There's not much particularly special about Handbrake but you must have the appropriate CODEC or it won't work. The same goes for most other transcoding applications.

You may have to resort to something that scrapes playing videos off the screen. What application do you normally use to view videos from the DVR on the computer?

Issues like this are often much more quickly solved if given as much as possible of the key details up front. Picking up somewhere in the middle of a failed process is unnecessary roughness as we have to exchange a number of messages to figure out what all is in play.

No update on the on the DVR.

Have not seen a CODEC update on my MAC.

I thank you for your info/help. I would be willing to send you the file if you would like to try and convert it.

Have not seen a CODEC update on my MAC.
Quicktime has a few CODECs associated with it. Apple says that they have removed the ability of Quicktime to handle some older formats directly so maybe they pulled the container that you need for the security "footage".

I'm not sure what is required to lodge additional CODECs on a Mac (or if it is even possible). Apple is exceedingly evasive about what to do. They suggest searching the Mac App store for file extensions (presumably to find VLC).

If you're not running Mavericks, there used to be a CODEC package called Perien but apparently Apple figured out how to bork it and it stopped working with the advent of Mavericks.

I would imagine that any modern Windows machine with the K-Lite CODEC pack or similar would have no trouble using Handbrake for Windows or similar.

Compiling ffmpeg on the Mac may be an alternative (although doubtless an excruciatingly painful one).

Quicktime has a few CODECs associated with it. Apple says that they have removed the ability of Quicktime to handle some older formats directly so maybe they pulled the container that you need for the security "footage".

I'm not sure what is required to lodge additional CODECs on a Mac (or if it is even possible). Apple is exceedingly evasive about what to do. They suggest searching the Mac App store for file extensions (presumably to find VLC).

If you're not running Mavericks, there used to be a CODEC package called Perien but apparently Apple figured out how to bork it and it stopped working with the advent of Mavericks.

I would imagine that any modern Windows machine with the K-Lite CODEC pack or similar would have no trouble using Handbrake for Windows or similar.

Compiling ffmpeg on the Mac may be an alternative (although doubtless an excruciatingly painful one).

Well that makes sense as to why it worked before and not now. Again I really appreciate the help and education. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)