279 Discovery Health

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lacubs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Erie, Pa
anyone why this channel going away for the Oprah network? do you think Discovery Health will ever come back? i just ask i guess Discovery Health is rebranding itself as OWN

Last edited:
Doubtful since it never made money for Discovery, which is why they are discontinuing it and replacing it with OWN.

I think that it was to a lack of viewers. I liked Mystery Diagnosis on the channel. It does seem that the Discovery suite of channels have undergone some change over the years.

Mystery Diagnosis will be aired on the new OWN network. In fact there are to be new episodes starting in January. This was displayed on the bottom of the screen during a recent Mystery Diagnosis Episode.

John

Mystery Diagnosis will be aired on the new OWN network. In fact there are to be new episodes starting in January. This was displayed on the bottom of the screen during a recent Mystery Diagnosis Episode.

John

Mystery Diagnosis was the program i was worried about

Well you ARE aware that Discovery also owns FitTV, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of those shows popped up on it... ;)
Bottom line - there was no need for (basically) 2 health channels, so that's why Discovery Health changed to OWN, since it also happened to have the largest # of subs.
FitTV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When we had cable, FitTV was America's Health Network before. I have to admit that it is somewhat funny.

Well I go you one better - when D* first started up in '96, AHN was one of the VERY first channels they carried. I believe they have carried it continuously in all it's "reincarnations" since then.

A search for Dr. G will land you on Fittv..looks like other shows have also migrated over starting tomorrow

A search for Dr. G will land you on Fittv..looks like other shows have also migrated over starting tomorrow

Fit TV is not on Dish. I wonder if these programs will help in getting it added to Dish? This could get interesting. I am not sure why they do not carry it.

heh heh if you have a favorite list you have to add it back in as with the name change it dropped off of favorites :)

Found this at the other site in regards to the OWN channel.

On page 21 of the latest bloomberg businessweek magazine, it appears that Directtv is refusing to pay for the latest fee increase for the oprah winfrey network that is launching on january 1st, replacing discovery health.

directtv is currently paying 7 cents per subscriber, discovery wants 21 cents per subscriber for the channel, which directtv is refusing to pay and will let its current contract with discovery run out (has two years left) and go from there.

Discovery is predicting that the channel will cost a lot more in two years once it is succesful

So not only is getting this channel in HD doubtful, it could go away from D* in a couple of years.

I hope that would mean just losing OWN and not the complete Discovery package. All this contract bickering makes the AppleTV I got for Christmas look more valuable every day!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts