2nd hopper instead of 2 joeys

tings00

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
utah
right now I have 1 hopper and 2 joeys. I keep reading about the best setup being 2 hoppers. Can someone explain to me the advantages. I assume i would still need to have1 joey for my 3 tv's. Would the monthly programming/dvr fees be the same?
I think i am not understanding the setup and I figured you would be running to 2 hoppers as 2 separate system so 2 full monthly programming fees. Someone straighten me out.

There is no additonal cost between a Hopper and Joey. Each room beyond the 1st is $7 a month regardless. The nice thing about 2 Hoppers is more tuners, additional DVR space, and redundancy if one unit fails.

It depends mostly number of TVs and people watching them. We have three TVs (one Hopper, two Joeys), with no more than two ever being watched at the same time...and that's rare. Just two of us. With PTAT, I've rarely run into recording conflicts, and those are easily remedied with repeat showing of most cable programs.

There is no additonal cost between a Hopper and Joey. Each room beyond the 1st is $7 a month regardless. The nice thing about 2 Hoppers is more tuners, additional DVR space, and redundancy if one unit fails.

Other than of course the initial upfront cost of the Hopper being $100 for Hopper with Sling and $50 for the Hopper.

You will also need RG6 to both Hopper locations.

right now I have 1 hopper and 2 joeys. I keep reading about the best setup being 2 hoppers. Can someone explain to me the advantages.
The best setup is the one that's right for your household. 1, 2, or even 3 hoppers just depends on how many tuners you need. If you only need three tuners for your household, then 1 hopper is just fine. If you need more tuners than that, then get a second or even third hopper.

Interesting comment, I am looking at upgrading from my 5 year old 722. If I understand correctly I can upgrade to a hopper w/sling and two joeys for $100 (with monthly fees of $10 for hopper and $14 for the two joeys) OR upgrade to Hopper w/sling, Hopper w/out sling and one joey for $150 upfront and monthly fees of $10 each for the hoppers and $7 for the joey? Sounds like I would be getting a lot more for my money by upgrading to the two hoppers as the monthly would be $24 or $27 for the two hopper setup. Am I correct?

Can each Hopper "see" the other? I would be great if I could see the recorded content from either hopper on all my TV's.

Interesting comment, I am looking at upgrading from my 5 year old 722. If I understand correctly I can upgrade to a hopper w/sling and two joeys for $100 (with monthly fees of $10 for hopper and $14 for the two joeys) OR upgrade to Hopper w/sling, Hopper w/out sling and one joey for $150 upfront and monthly fees of $10 each for the hoppers and $7 for the joey? Sounds like I would be getting a lot more for my money by upgrading to the two hoppers as the monthly would be $24 or $27 for the two hopper setup. Am I correct?

Can each Hopper "see" the other? I would be great if I could see the recorded content from either hopper on all my TV's.

Your monthly prices are wrong. There is no difference in the monthly fees for the Hopper or Joey. The $10 fee is not for Hoppers it is the DVR fee. Each extra box, whether it be a Hopper or Joey, is $7/mo. So, there lies the advantage of having two Hoppers, no extra cost per month but double the tuners for recording. No brainer in my mind.

Yes, you can view your recorded content on any TV. You will have to go into the DVR menu and switch to the other Hopper if you want to view it's recordings but it's a simple task.

WOW, absolutely a no brainer. For an extra $50 one time I can go from 3 to 6 tuners and have a backup DVR should one unit fail. I can't believe DISH hasn't decided to get more $$$ for this setup. Think I will order quickly before they change their mind. By the way, other than the obvious are there any other differences in the Hopper w/sling and the original Hopper?

By the way, other than the obvious are there any other differences in the Hopper w/sling and the original Hopper?
built in wifi in the HWS. Some have claimed that the HWS is a bit faster while others said they didn't notice a difference between the two. Other than that, not much functional difference besides the obvious Ipad transfers type stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)