2nd IRD at house relocated to new apt

MikeCTM2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
02 530i sport
2nd IRD at house can I re-locate to new apt?

right now i'm living with a family member. one of the things i did while here was pay to have a 2nd receiver installed in the room i stay in. now i'm considering getting a near-by apt. if i set-up my own 18" dish at the apt, could i re-locate this 2nd receiver to my new apt without any problems? i'm not thinking of any reason why it wouldn't work.

I'd have to get a Dish Pro LNB (Ebay) and find my old satellite finder, or get a new one.

Last edited:
i really only want to get the couple international channels that we get here now. i was thinking i could just point a single 18" dish with a single DP LNB to the 121 satellite. or do i have to put-up a SuperDish 121? i might have to wait for the satellite experts to come accross this thread.

If you are saying that you had a receiver added to an existing account of the family member, you will violate terms of service by moving your receiver to another location without setting up a new account.

Best thing to do is to contact DISH (or better yet, a LOCAL RETAILER) and have a new account set up in your name with hardware configuration you need for international. You can just mount an antenna at your new location and connect your receiver to it, but with the DISH audits going on, that arrangement probably won't last long.

Alan

And to answer the question, either way you go, you will need the Super Dish, a normal dish wont cut it !

i was about to ask that again. all that a SuperDish121 is, is a dish that pics up the 110, 119 and 121 with its 3 lnb, eliptical dish. what if i connected a single lnb dish, pointed to the 121, up to this receiver ? would i at least receive my international programming?

The 'special' thing about the superdish is it's designed to pickup the FSS satellite at 121. A DBS dish will not be able to pickup 121.

Depending on where you live and what internationals you want, you may want to point to 61.5 or 148, in which case SuperDish won't be necessary. Especially in light of the rumors that internationals are moving off 121.

when my international channels get moved over to the 61.5 then i'll be able to get them with a regular 18" dish. so a standard 18" single LNB dish can get the 61.5, 101 (Directv), 110 and 119 (even 148?) but just not the 121? the 121 is just different. is it too far in outer space or what? all the digital satellite tv satellites up there can be picked up individually with a regular 18" dish if a person chooses, except for the 121?

There are others here that can answer this much better than I can but, I believe you can pick up any one of those with a single dish or 110/119 with a 500 (20") or 110/119/129 with a 1000.

You still need to specify where you live so that you can get more precise answers.

Last edited:
The 121 & 105 satellites are FSS not DBS. They are both closer together (alot) and lower power. The larger dish is needed to both pickup more signal and 'not pickup' the nearby satellites. Yes, you are correct an 18" dish can pickup any DBS satellite.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply he can pick up 121/105, I was just referring to the the last set of sats he mentioned. The 121 question was already answered by you, Kevin.

Epsilon,
I was answering Mike's question as to why a 18" dish wouldn't work. (you just replied while I was typing mine.)

the 121 is FSS not DBS. got it, thanks. so even if i want to order strictly just international programming and that's it(to be redundant), I still need a SuperDish121. thought it didn't have to be like that, shoot.

What about after i get my expensive SuperDish121 and Dishnetwork moves my int' programming to a different satellite? Is my tv just not gonna work one day? Are they gonna notify me by mail? Are they gonna 'update' my dish since they decided to make this change? They have to take care of their customers for changes that they make. What about the lil' ol' lady who gets a few int'ls. Is someone gonna come out and fix her Dish (specifically install a 18" dish pointed to the 61.5) or, are they gonna tell her that she needs to purchase a new dish and pay for a installation appt if she wants to continue to receive the programming she is subscribed to?

i just got off the phone with Dishnetwork and I put forth this question. He said that there is no information about the German Channels being moved off of the 121. I said 'what are you going to do for me when you move my int' channels to the 61.5 satellite off of the 121. Is someone going to come out and install the correct dish? It's not my probem that you've made a corporate decision to move the channels I receive from one satellite to another.' It's certainly not right for me to incur an expense over your shuffling around of channels on satellites. I liked my int's on the 121 just fine.

he had no answer. I said 'well what did you do for the customers who were getting their arabic channels off the 121 when you moved their programming to the 61.5? He didn't seem to understand that question. seems simple enough to me.

Alan you say contact Dish or better yet a local retailer. Well i just called Dish and got a list of the top five local retailers in my area. when they heard that all i want is the German Package, they hung up. one guy was nice enough to explain to me that if they're not selling a US programming package then it's not worth it for them. Not one single 'local retailer' would even entertain the idea of me (new customer, never had Dish before) getting the equipment and professional installation through them if i was just ordering the German Language Package.

The one that explained this to me told me to jump on the offer i got from 800.333.DISH. That offer was $149 for all necessary equipment and installation, and allowing me to subscribe to only the German Language Package.

fyi, i'm not moving to a new apt for the near future. someone put a deposit on the one i wanted. maybe it's all for the best for now. And in the meantime maybe these int'ls will be moved off of the 121 so that i won't need a SuperDish121 but instead just a regular 18" Dish! in my dreams! for now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)