3/30/2011 2:46pm - Uplink Activity Report - 33 changes

If its only airing an hour of HD a week then I think its ok if its only a tempoary HD channel instead of taking up space 24/7. :)
Scott,

I have the timer set up for Reelz to record the Kennedy's. Will the channel show SD and HD when programming begins?? Do we have to set a timer for the HD feed? Confused due to the limited HD feed of this channel. Will it be HD for a short period and then go back to SD? How was this done in the past.

Thanks for all you do.

Dish came to an agreement with Univision to carry those. All listed above are owned by Univision

Some are owned by Entravision (Denver, El Paso & Harlingen) - but these are markets with significant Hispanic audiences. Wonder how the other HD signals will be looking in these markets as they cram 6-8 HD channels on one transponder...

J

I hope they are not trying to sell Dish on this temp HD channel. I talked to many customers I installed when the Disney HD stuff was yanked when I was hooking it up and they looked at me like deer in headlights then started to complain but at this point it was all put in and they had signed contract and I was on my way.

Local Univision and Telefutura in HD coming to NYC metro area - channels 41 and 67.

But I guess this uplink will frustrate others that were expecting to see their RSNs full time 24x7.

No connectoin.

RSNs have to be on CONUS, not spot beams, because they are part of the out-of-market sports packages.

These local channels are all on spot beams.

“DISH Network has chosen to support an independent during a very important time in our network’s history,” said REELZCHANNEL CEO Stan E. Hubbard. “We expect a lot of new viewers for REELZCHANNEL who are eager to watch the highly-anticipated television movie event, ‘The Kennedys’ – and now that we’re in HD nationwide on DISH Network, we can show the movie event as the moviemakers intended.”

So, what does that lead up to ? I don't think that REELZ is trying to be the new HBO...

It seems like this mini-series could not be sold to a major network or a premium channel, not even Starz, or it would have ended up there, since this means that only 15 million subscribers will have access.

This does not make too much sense to me, from anyone's viewpoint.

I hope they are not trying to sell Dish on this temp HD channel. I talked to many customers I installed when the Disney HD stuff was yanked when I was hooking it up and they looked at me like deer in headlights then started to complain but at this point it was all put in and they had signed contract and I was on my way.
But at that time even DISH was surprised because they didn't expect Disney to shut off their signals while talks were going on. For awhile there they actually thought they had a technical glitch with the Disney HD receiveing equipment. It wasnt until later that they found out Disney shut them off.

But at that time even DISH was surprised because they didn't expect Disney to shut off their signals while talks were going on. For awhile there they actually thought they had a technical glitch with the Disney HD receiveing equipment. It wasnt until later that they found out Disney shut them off.

I honestly figured they would have settled on more discussions and popped the signals back up. Disney is losing so much advertising considering many companies produced certain commercials for HD and some others for SD. Many people like myself won't even let their kids watch SD as it's hard on their eyes so they lose out on the advertising for another reason. I know this is pretty much going with the Disney/Dish threads but ya gotta wonder Dish's motives with adding a temp HD channel and if they will advertise it to get sales.

I did not read the reelz-HD press release as a temporary channel, but as a free preview for Dish subs until May 4th. Then I could see it moving to platinum or other tier.

kstuart said:
So, what does that lead up to ? I don't think that REELZ is trying to be the new HBO...

It seems like this mini-series could not be sold to a major network or a premium channel, not even Starz, or it would have ended up there, since this means that only 15 million subscribers will have access.

This does not make too much sense to me, from anyone's viewpoint.

I thought the reason it is on reelz was because it was made for a&e or some other channel but it has some parts that don't hold true to history so they would not air it. If I am wrong please correct me but I think I heard that somewhere.

I thought the reason it is on reelz was because it was made for a&e or some other channel but it has some parts that don't hold true to history so they would not air it. If I am wrong please correct me but I think I heard that somewhere.
The Kennedy's don't like it

be happy you dont live in Minneapolis. Because Reelz is owned by the same people who own the ABC station here (Hubbard Broadcasting...owned USSB years ago) on the news and some other shows thats all they talk about. And there are commercials constantly about it

Reelz was movie related, now they show programs like Cheers. To their credit, they are airing Cheers in HD, (unlike Hallmark) much like HDNet is doing. Only problem for me, is the insane number of commercials. So, while I may (only may) watch The Kennedys, I have no patience for any channels that air commercials (except ESPN). I now stick to PBS, HBO/SHO/STARZ, some HDNET, and Netflix. I can't wait till commercially sponsored broadcasts die their deserved death. (oh, and I fracking can't stand pop-ups, announcements, and other garbage they overlay on the program (although I'm ok with a small dimmed station logo, but I'd prefer to not even have that).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)