30 Years Ago Today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Carroll A

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Hard to believe it has been 30 years since HBO fully scrambled. That was a day that changed the TVRO industry forever. In May of 86 Showtime would fully scramble and in the fall SelecTV would fully scramble. Due to HBO scrambling Captain Midnight would jam HBO's showing of The Falcon and The Snowman. Man I feel old now.

This is a legit satellite forum . We do not condone illegal . Talk about power vu , or any hack talk. Thank you..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Carroll A is not talking about hacking. HBO scrambling was a major turning point in early days of the DTH satellite industry. The story about Captain America is a fascinating read if you aren't familiar with the reactions to encryption. Folks had paid thousands of dollars to watch channels that were being taken away one by one.... Slowly the industry came together and lobbied for DTH access legislation...

Yep, I'm feeling old also!

I remember the old Zenith Cable boxes, If you Pressed the channel up button, and Put a penny wedged in it to hold it down you could also watch HBO.
It was an Interesting trick.
Or you could just send it out to the Guy in the back of the Magazines, and bam, totally unscrambled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is a legit satellite forum . We do not condone illegal . Talk about power vu , or any hack talk. Thank you..

Really?
Like anything that was done in the 80s could pose a threat in 2016.

Reactions: Babadem
Really?

It was kind of amusing on that January 15th, watching people with private SMATV systems "lose" their HBO and Cinemax service, quickly switch to Showtime and The Movie Channel, and have to come up with a new solution four months later. These people were the reason that premium channels were scrambled in the first place. No other way to police small mom and pop motels from getting cable channels without paying.
Lawyers always were available, but it was a scourge that had to be stopped with a technical solution.

Really?

Yes really . Its the 2000'$ any one setting up a cband nowadays is no hobbyist. They want one thing... power vu.....

Hard to believe it has been 30 years since HBO fully scrambled. That was a day that changed the TVRO industry forever. In May of 86 Showtime would fully scramble and in the fall SelecTV would fully scramble. Due to HBO scrambling Captain Midnight would jam HBO's showing of The Falcon and The Snowman. Man I feel old now.
yep remember it well.

Wow did not know I would cause a storm by bringing up history of C Band. For those who were around back then it was a fun time. I remember both Keith LA Monica and chuck Dawson both in their respective ways fighting for C Band rights.

Wow did not know I would cause a storm by bringing up history of C Band. For those who were around back then it was a fun time. I remember both Keith LA Monica and chuck Dawson both in their respective ways fighting for C Band rights.
Just ignore the troll, it was a good post to bring back memories.
I was eleven, and I remember it, and my family getting upset. Same month that the challenger exploded if memory serves me correct.
I remember sitting in front of the TV in the floor when it happened.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I wasn't in the hobby until a few years ago but I do remember seeing the story about Captain Midnight interfering with HBO on the news. From the things I've read on this forum about the 'good old days' it looks as though I missed out on a lot! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Mr Tony

PowerVu was about 12 years into the future when this happened.

I wasn't in the hobby until a few years ago but I do remember seeing the story about Captain Midnight interfering with HBO on the news. From the things I've read on this forum about the 'good old days' it looks as though I missed out on a lot! :rolleyes:
I missed alot after it got scrambled. We had a C-Band dish when we lived in the country. Then the dish got damaged and didn't see C-Band again until 1998 or so when we bought a place "up north" and it had a "G5" system and receiver there

Reactions: FTA4PA
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts