30w

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
Has anyone tried to get 30w with a superdish with a superdish lnb and or using a slimline dish using a superdish lnb. Don't know if anyone had tried it before or with a smaller dish? Also if cubavision is in english then why is it listed for spanish I know its in cuba spainsh population.

Dan Rose

Cubavision is in Spanish...

A Superdish should be fine. The Cubavison transponder is very strong

Ok thank you Ice but I thought you guys mentioned it had english programming?

Dan Rose

Cubavision shows movies in English with Spanish subtitles...but otherwise its all in Spanish

Fashion TV is in English as is PressTV
A few other English channels are just repeats of what is on 97W

Had to get a second opinion eh? :)

No Ke4est I had a message from Fat Air about the same topic he told me to post it.

Dan Rose

Well, I finally put a 30 inch up and aimed it at 30W to compare to the 1.2 meter. (Both ChannelMaster)
I also inverted it to get it down to 6° elevation. (same problem with not being able to go that low in standard installation configuration)
tp, Q-1.2m,Q-30
11883,74,60 solid
12.091,71,37-44 pixelated
12171,77,60 solid
12050,74,35-40 hard pixelation
Think part of the problem is I was hot and sweaty and kind of in a hurry to get out of the sun. Should maybe have tweaked some more. Also think I have a bit of the 30 shaded by the sideways mounted 1.2 that's also aimed at 30W. Also confirmed that 30W here is just above, by only a couple of feet, the neighbors pine tree. Yeah, another 'temp' base - exhaust pipe, conduit, and some recycled decking. SS hose clamp and some deck screws. Oh well, other plans for it eventually. Maybe a universal LNBF and see if I can get some other international birds.

Attachments

• base_temp.jpg
    base_temp.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 144
  • aim_inverted.jpg
    aim_inverted.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 147
  • aim_shaded.jpg
    aim_shaded.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 135
  • AnInvertedDish.jpg
    AnInvertedDish.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 137
Also think I have a bit of the 30 shaded by the sideways mounted 1.2 that's also aimed at 30W. Also confirmed that 30W here is just above, by only a couple of feet, the neighbors pine tree.

How much of an issue can this cause? I'm still piecing together everything I need, but according to the DishPointer app 30w (for me) is just above the treeline. Could one branch in the way really degrade the signal, or would it just be a minor inconvenience? My neighbor in another building has a DirecTV dish on his first-floor patio looking straight through some trees, but would an FTA signal be affected much more?

Last edited:
Well the shaded portion of the dish is more than what first appears in the photo. You can see the tree in the distance, below the dish, I'm 'shooting' over so if adjusted to place that point in the center of the 30, think here that almost half of the 30 is shaded, meaning I may try with a 'pizza' dish. It's a stout signal even at only 6° elevation.
Your dish face may be aimed right at the trees, but is actually looking up offset degrees, 22 to 27 degrees. My 1.2 on 30W is mounted sideways so it appears to be aimed at the trees.

Attachments

• LNB.jpg
    LNB.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 126
  • aim.jpg
    aim.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 110
How much of an issue can this cause? I'm still piecing together everything I need, but according to the DishPointer app 30w (for me) is just above the treeline. Could one branch in the way really degrade the signal, or would it just be a minor inconvenience? My neighbor in another building has a DirecTV dish on his first-floor patio looking straight through some trees, but would an FTA signal be affected much more?

It depends on the strength of the signal quality to start with. For instance, I'm in a 3/4 acre "hole" in the woods (3 acre lot, 330+ acre woods) surrounded by trees that are about 85-90 feet tall. I have ONE "spot" in the north-east furthest 'corner' of the "hole" that's about 30 feet around for my dish farm, and is capable of getting sats from about 61W to 123W. I had some trees removed to even get this. Anyway, some of the remaining trees are just now grown in the bottom window of the arc of satellite signal reception for some sats. If you look at the transponder quality level as the tree branches wave in the wind, the quality level goes up and down + or - 5~ points nearly constantly. If the transponder level for a particular sat channel is low to start with, it can cause pixilation and picture loss sometimes. It all depends on what level of error correction they are using.

So it may be usable depending on the persons level of exasperation while watching tv, or it may not. I think having it working 96% of the time, is better than not having it at all... ;)

I finally got around to setting up a dedicated dish for Hispasat 1C & 1D. I spent a couple of hours on Sunday putting the J-mount on the house, inverting and aligning the dish, then running the coax cable from the dish to the Digiwave 8x1 switch on the south side of my house. Things are coming in great!

IMG_7248.JPG IMG_7250.JPG IMG_7252.JPG IMG_7254.JPG

Now, I need to update my signature to include this dish...

Would have to put satellite dish up high to get that satellite looking for help on this one tried. I tried at 3' above the ground would I need this higher up?

Dan Rose

I did a site survey last Fall when the sun was tracking the Clarke Belt satellites. I have a neighbor that has tall pine trees just to my East, but I found a sunny spot on my house that had line-of-sight at the correct time. For me, Hispasat is at 10° above the horizon. For you, it should be a little higher as you are further toward the East coast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)