33” FTA Dish for Orby?

5Rounds

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 27, 2019
TN
I recently found out about Orby, and have been thinking about getting it. I then found a 33”x30” Winegard dish with LNB lying next to a dumpster! I would just need a pole, coax and the receiver, right? I’ve already set the azimuth, elevation, and skew. I found a gap in the trees that should work.

I recently found out about Orby, and have been thinking about getting it. I then found a 33”x30” Winegard dish with LNB lying next to a dumpster! I would just need a pole, coax and the receiver, right? I’ve already set the azimuth, elevation, and skew. I found a gap in the trees that should work.

Can you attach a picture of the dish?

Reactions: FTA4PA
Thanks. I was here years ago, when I had D*, but can’t find my account. It’s the same dish as thid photo, but with an LNB that says “dual polarity 11.7-12.2Ghz”. I assume it means linear/circular; it has skew markings.

Attachments

• F15A80E7-CB8D-4778-899D-FEBB7D148CDD.jpeg
    F15A80E7-CB8D-4778-899D-FEBB7D148CDD.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 254
If you found it next to a dumpster, then my guess would be it was used as part of a hotel or bar setup for Dish Network. They sometimes use those 76cm Winegard dishes for corporate installs.

BTW- they are very high quality dishes. I have two of them.

1EAD4362-9C99-4F1F-A147-ECE3E1A217F7.jpeg

It’s an area with a lot of Middle Eastern immigrants. I think it was used for Arab channels. I see them in a lot of yards. DirecTV International is being discontinued, maybe that’s why they dumped it.

Dual polarity typically means horizontal and vertical rather than linear and circular. Assuming that nothing is abnormally bent or burnt, add an appropriate diameter J-pole and you should be good to go.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Thanks. There’s no damage at all, just fading from the sun. It even has the J-pole. I think I’ll mount it in the ground, though. My best spot is in the grass just behind my deck.

Reactions: Titanium
I already have an OTA antenna set up. I can just get diplexers and use the same cable for both, correct?

I’ll definitely have the dish aligned and working before I use the diplexer. When I had D*, I had two diplexers. It’s nice to only use one. I have the dish mounted. I’m going to Target to get the DVR.

I can’t get a signal no matter what I do. The pole is level and the skew, azimuth and elevation are correct. I guess the LNB is bad. I’ll have to order another one.

Here’s a photo. I guess the LNB is bad, because everything is lined up. I tried going up and down, left and right, and turning the LNB. No signal. I’ll have a new one in a couple of days.

Attachments

• CDC42194-3B64-49BF-BCD6-854B890B2674.jpeg
    CDC42194-3B64-49BF-BCD6-854B890B2674.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 309
Here’s a photo. I guess the LNB is bad, because everything is lined up. I tried going up and down, left and right, and turning the LNB. No signal. I’ll have a new one in a couple of days.

That's definitely a Winegard DS-2076. I have two of them. It looks like the feed arm could be bent. That might be your problem.

That's definitely a Winegard DS-2076. I have two of them. It looks like the feed arm could be bent. That might be your problem.

I agree, I think it's bent. MANY people remove them from the foot, and throw them off the roof...

It's not easy to fix a bent arm on an offset dish, UNLESS you have a duplicate dish and can match everything up to it. It's far better to get another dish, if you can find one.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I agree, I think it's bent. MANY people remove them from the foot, and throw them off the roof...

It's not easy to fix a bent arm on an offset dish, UNLESS you have a duplicate dish and can match everything up to it. It's far better to get another dish, if you can find one.

Luckily, that one is cheap and plentiful from Solid Signal via the link I posted before :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts