35-21.young appearing on closed captioning

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
I talked to a DirecTV subscriber today. Part of her closed captioning is being blocked by text showing "35-21.young". This happens on two local channels. I've confirmed one local channel does not have the same issue on OTA or through a DirecTV receiver. Pressing the 'CC' button on the TV does nothing. Has anyone run into something like this?

She's going to call DirecTV next, but I'm guessing they're not going to see an issue.

I talked to a DirecTV subscriber today. Part of her closed captioning is being blocked by text showing "35-21.young". This happens on two local channels. I've confirmed one local channel does not have the same issue on OTA or through a DirecTV receiver. Pressing the 'CC' button on the TV does nothing. Has anyone run into something like this?

She's going to call DirecTV next, but I'm guessing they're not going to see an issue.

My guess is that she's got the wrong closed captioning mode selected......what DirecTV receiver does she have?

Unfortunately, I neglected to ask her that. She said to turn on CC, she presses "Info", then goes to the right to select CC. It's the same on the HD receiver I tried. I didn't see anywhere to set the CC channel (like I have on OTA). I was wondering if her TV ALSO had CC turned on which is why I tried to have her press the CC button on the TV remote.

Unfortunately, I neglected to ask her that. She said to turn on CC, she presses "Info", then goes to the right to select CC. It's the same on the HD receiver I tried. I didn't see anywhere to set the CC channel (like I have on OTA). I was wondering if her TV ALSO had CC turned on which is why I tried to have her press the CC button on the TV remote.
menu>settings>display>captioning. Make sure service 1 is selected.

Also what market and channels is this happening on? Also, if you could possibly get a screen cap of what is going on that would be great. I will take a look into this further to see if any technical glitches might be going on, on our end (unofficially) :D :) Thanks.

Yes its always best to use the captioning out of the Directv Receiver, not out of the TV. Make sure CC is off on the TV and on ON the Directv Box.
there really isn't any choice. if it's SD, you use the TV. If it's HD, you use the DirecTV box, because there are no analog CC for the Tv to process. The captions are just text added to the picture going from the box to the TV.

there really isn't any choice. if it's SD, you use the TV. If it's HD, you use the DirecTV box, because there are no analog CC for the Tv to process. The captions are just text added to the picture going from the box to the TV.

I believe if its SD the directv box processes the captions the same way, while technically the captions are on line 21 in an analog picture, the captions are processed the same way HD ones are as the originating source is the same, IE ATSC or ASI. What market is this in?

I believe if its SD the directv box processes the captions the same way, while technically the captions are on line 21 in an analog picture, the captions are processed the same way HD ones are as the originating source is the same, IE ATSC or ASI. What market is this in?

I actually just confirmed this on my own setup, HR44 w/ AM21 (Both Geni and Clients). Turn off closed captions on the TV and let the Directv receiver process the captions. It will decode the captions for you on all signals, including SD signals and SD OTA signals. The only time line 21 is transmitted anymore usually is on OTA analogue, (What little there is of that). Everything else is using 708 & 608 as its all digital.

Best advice is let the DirecTV box do the decoding of captions and if you can get me the market info, I can take a look into what's going on behind the curtain to make sure it isn't a bigger issue.

The market is Lexington, KY. The two stations it was reported on were WLEX and WKYT. I do not see any issues with WLEX either via OTA or our DirecTV receiver.

I was thinking the same as K9SAT regarding CC turned on on the TV (basically two "layers" of CC). But, that wouldn't necessarily explain why they only see the issues on two channels. I'll see if I can get a screen capture. You'll have to give me a little bit though.

Thanks guys.

What I was trying to say is that if the DirecTv box is connected to the TV via a digital signal such as HDMI, the TV CC is inactive because there is no line 21 analog signal to process. CC is created by the DirecTV box as part of the digital picture, and the TV does nothing.
For receivers like the R15 outputting analog video, the receiver just adds the line 21 CC, the actual decoding is done in the TV. I assume an analog output from an HD box is the same, i.e. the CC is line 21 based and is decoded by the TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)