35mph winds knocks satellite out of line

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chefwan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
South Carolina
can you believe it. i thought it was in the ground good. the hole pole its bolted to is loose now. 35 mph winds to the west caused it to knock out of line i cant get any channel now. 12ft catches alot of wind. you can see it swaying bad ahhh it makes me mad

Wow. I can't believe a 35mph wind managed to knock a satellite 20,000+ miles in space out of line. ;) I wonder if they have wind in space.

Wow. I can't believe a 35mph wind managed to knock a satellite 20,000+ miles in space out of line. ;) I wonder if they have wind in space.

There is solar wind, I know solar flares have caused satellite problems in the past, around the mid nineties it knocked one of the anik birds around, the programming had to be moved to another bird.
To the thread starter, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the pole moving, that is a bummer for sure. I imagine that 12 footer does catch a lot of wind. Can you stand it back plumb and re-inforce it somehow or did the pole just rotate in the concrete?

can you believe it. i thought it was in the ground good. the hole pole its bolted to is loose now. 35 mph winds to the west caused it to knock out of line i cant get any channel now. 12ft catches alot of wind. you can see it swaying bad ahhh it makes me mad

Sorry to hear about the wind troubles. How much concrete did you use? How deep was your hole? My 12 footer's pole is in the ground 6 feet and has a concrete pad 18"L x 18W" & 10" high above the ground. The pole is also filled with concrete. My 12 footer has delt with 90 mph winds with no problems.

You should be able to dig around your concrete base and add more concrete. You may want to add a square pad at ground level also.

Hey chefwan.

That is indeed bad news!! Sorry to hear it after all that work.

As has been said above, try and build a tripod rigging to hold it in place and plumb and dig around your existing concrete. You may have to go deeper than you first planned, and be sure to have a hole drilled through the pipe with a rebar or long bolt sticking out perpendicular to the sides of the pipe at least 6 to 8 inches. A nice 18x18 pad 6 inches deep at ground level would be better too.

Hope the dish isn't damaged. If the dish isn't damaged, it is just a setback. You'll have it up and running again in a week.

Fred

Chefwan, sorry to hear bout that. To see just how much wind load can be generated by a large dish, take a look at this link:
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/grndpole.html#anchor27689

I have my pole set up on a pole mount that is made of two 55 gallon drums welded together, buried in the ground and filled with 17 bags of crete. That mount isnt going anywheres :D

Chefwan, sorry to hear bout that. To see just how much wind load can be generated by a large dish, take a look at this link:
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/grndpole.html#anchor27689

I have my pole set up on a pole mount that is made of two 55 gallon drums welded together, buried in the ground and filled with 17 bags of crete. That mount isnt going anywheres :D

Just a friendly note to people who intend to use barrels, don't do it if you live in frost country. The frost will grab the barrel rings and move it, no matter how much weight you have in it, frost will move anything if it can get a grip on it. Use a smooth sided barrel (no rings) if you want to go that route.

thanks guys. yeah i should have welded a rebar on but i didnt think we'd have winds like this . now im down for a few days. hopefully ill be back up wenesday or earlier but we'll see the pole just turned in the concrete...Caddux you know what i meant ha...inless your crazy in the head lol

chefwan:

Sorry to hear of your problem.

This helps illustrate what a load our dishes are under, even in moderate winds. For the future, here's no need to weld anything to the pole just drill two 1/2" dia. holes in line, thru both walls of the pipe, no less than about 3" from the end, but by preference in the center of about a 3 foot deep footing. Poke a 1/2" bolt thru the holes, put a nut on it, and pour your concrete around it.

Being involved in Structural design, my move to Florida really upped my knowledge base in wind loading. It's possible for a large house to have over 1,000,000 lbs of uplift applied to the roof, which becomes an airfoil (airplane wing) as wind flows over it.

Harold

chefwan:

Sorry to hear of your problem.

This helps illustrate what a load our dishes are under, even in moderate winds. For the future, here's no need to weld anything to the pole just drill two 1/2" dia. holes in line, thru both walls of the pipe, no less than about 3" from the end, but by preference in the center of about a 3 foot deep footing. Poke a 1/2" bolt thru the holes, put a nut on it, and pour your concrete around it.

Being involved in Structural design, my move to Florida really upped my knowledge base in wind loading. It's possible for a large house to have over 1,000,000 lbs of uplift applied to the roof, which becomes an airfoil (airplane wing) as wind flows over it.

Harold

Thanks man

Just a friendly note to people who intend to use barrels, don't do it if you live in frost country. The frost will grab the barrel rings and move it, no matter how much weight you have in it, frost will move anything if it can get a grip on it. Use a smooth sided barrel (no rings) if you want to go that route.

I used smooth sided barrels for exactly that reason, thanks for pointing that out!

Hmmm, I was watching TV the other night with 75 MPH gusts and no problems but by morning my counts for the motor was off my about 15, looks like the motor slid a bit, not the worst thing but atleast my dish is still plumb and operational. It pays to use 5000 lb mix, 2 yards of concrete and 5000 lb rated J-bolts.

yeah. i redone mine welded some bars on the pole and poured new concrete. its not going anywhere this time if it does it needs to just take off like a plane :) but im back up im glad to be watching tv again :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)