36" dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Part of the problem as I see it is that elevation means different things to different people. On the website I just gave you elevation means (90 degrees minus latitude) minus declination. Other people say elevation is just 90 degrees minus latitude. There is no way possible to communicate if the communicators can't agree on the meanings of the words being used!

look @ these pics.

Attachments

• hh90.jpg
    hh90.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 105
  • hh901.jpg
    hh901.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 112
HH90​
Distance: 37692km
Motor Latitude: 42.3°
Declination Angle: 6.5°
Dish Elevation: 38°
Azimuth (true): 180.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 187.4°"
This c/p is from dish pointer site.

My above comment pertains to your true south satellite. (Motorized systems are trickier)
This is c/p from dish pointer"
"
Name: True South / True North​
Distance: 37692km
Declination Angle: 6.5°
Dish Elevation: --°
Elevation: 41.2°
Azimuth (true): 180.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 187.4°"

The scale in the pictures is set up so you set it to your latitude. Notice that if you were at zero latitude (at the equator) the motor would be at a very high angle and that if you were at the north pole the motor would be at level to the ground, a low angle. This makes sense.

Once you get the motor angle right you then adjust the dish angle (declination) to that it aims at the satellite which is about five earth radii away and above the equator. If the distance to the satellite was infinite the declination would be zero but because the distance is about five earth radii there must be a 6.5 degree declination angle.

Maybe this pic shows my motor seting

Attachments

• hh905.jpg
    hh905.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 114
Your picture looks like you have it (the Latitude) set to about 43.
One other thing to check is that the top of the metal bracket is level and is not being pulled down due to the weight of the motor and dish.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 166
It is set to 42.3 as per dishpointer.
I have to wait for spring for more investigations.

Once you get the motor angle right you then adjust the dish angle (declination) to that it aims at the satellite which is about five earth radii away and above the equator. If the distance to the satellite was infinite the declination would be zero but because the distance is about five earth radii there must be a 6.5 degree declination angle.
So, where should I count the 6.5° declination: to the dish or the motor ?
(To the motor latitude scale makes sense for me in oder to bring its axis parallel to the earth!)

That is accounted in the Dish Elevation, so just set the Dish to the recommended Elevation for you location and motor.

Azimuth (magn.): 187.5° (compass)

Last edited:
That is accounted in the Dish Elevation, so just set the Dish to the recommended Elevation for you location and motor.

Elevation: 41.2°
Azimuth (magn.): 187.5° (compass)
What is "Elevation:41.2°" for, if the dish elevation is already set @ 38°?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts