36-volt VBOX for a 12-volt rated actuator motor?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skipticum

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
ottawa
I need your help for two things. First, I will be buying a V-Box for my old (refurbished) 12 volt actuator. From the specs of the V-box, it outputs 36 volts, can my 12 volt rated actuator motor handle that?

Second, I'm having trouble getting my sonicview 800hd to accept manually entering the VPID and APID for CW channels on 91W sat. This subject was discussed somewhere here, but the recommendations provided seem not to work for me. Anybody experienced this problem, and how was resolved? Thanks.

I know there were 24 volt motors, 'cause that's what the 4Dtv receivers put out.
Apparently, you can run them on 36 volts just fine.
After all, the duty cycle is quite low.

Never heard of a 12 volt jack for a BUD.
Can you confirm?
If so, I'd find a way to drop the voltage so I didn't send more than about 18v to a 12 motor. :)

I cannot confirm the 12 volt rating, 'cause can no longer read the label on the side of the motor. Nevertheless, I'm running the actuator (moving the 8' dish) with a 12-volt battery charger easily and fast enough. Also, the actuator motor size is quite small compared to the 24 volt von weise actuator. Therefore, I concluded that the motor is 12-volt rated (or may be 18 volt!)

Size of the motor means nothing!! The SuperJack I have on my SAMI dish has a motor that is about an inch smaller in diameter than the VonWeise that is on my Windgard dish. Both are 36V motors. I'm with the others here, ie, if it came on a satellite dish to begin with, then my money would be on it being at least 24V and probably 36V. FYI, running at LOW voltage is probably just as bad as running it with too much as it will cause the windings to over heat. The 24/36 range doesn't seem to matter on any that I've seen as far as longevity goes.

Last edited:
It could be 12 volt if its original purpose was a trailer jack. But if it was made for a satellite dish, I will venture to say it's 24 to 36 volts. And yes, the physical size of the motor means nothing.
FYI: BITD some electricians got wind of all these people DIYing their satellite dish wiring. He also noticed that the motor wires carried 36 volts to the motor. Well, 36 volt wiring requires an inspection as it does not conform to "Class C" wiring. To save this added expense for the homeowner, all the manufacturers of satellite equipment lowered the motor voltage to 24 volts, conforming to "Class C" wiring which does not require said inspection.

Thank you guys for your feedback. I'm going ahead with the purchase of the VBOX-x. I was quoted US $73.00 including delivery and taxes, does this sound reasonable?

Just remembered something. If possible, put a ammeter in the motor line and measure the current when you use 12 volts to move the dish for one side to center. Then do the same, but with 24 to 36 volts. If it's actually rated for 24 to 36 volts, I think you'll find it draws a more current with 12 volts, than 24 to 36 volts. (yes, your cars heater and AC fans draw more current at low and medium speed than they do on high.(if they use an inline resistor to drop the voltage and speed. PWM supplied fan motors don't apply.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts