Need Skew Control Option for Football Season

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
With so many cool football feeds coming down in S-2 and with those fractional settings sometimes so exacting to grab, I am considering like a Corotor 2. I figure I will need a fine skew control to get them. But the problem is, I don't see any new skew control unit out there. There seems only old, sometimes very old analog receiver units being used..

Is there anything new out there with maybe a user friendly interface? If not, what used units should I be looking for? I smell football in the air. Last year was a bust for me for this exact reason

PM Linuxman.
He has a small commercial unit that might work.
I don't know the details.
edit: oh, and ask him about his patent-infringing co-rotors, too! best bang for the buck!

Otherwise, there was a development thread on the subject a few years back.
Member used a one-chip micro-controller, as I remember.

You could use an NE-555 timer chip, for a rough 'n dirty one-time use toy.

Pansat 3500 and 2700 (?) but not 2800 (I don't remember) FTA receivers had servo control.
They've fallen out of favor, being just SD FTA , so you might snag one cheaply.

Last and hopefully least, you can probably get an old Analog receiver... for free... from anyone who has several!

Last edited:
With so many cool football feeds coming down in S-2 and with those fractional settings sometimes so exacting to grab, I am considering like a Corotor 2. I figure I will need a fine skew control to get them. But the problem is, I don't see any new skew control unit out there. There seems only old, sometimes very old analog receiver units being used..

Is there anything new out there with maybe a user friendly interface? If not, what used units should I be looking for? I smell football in the air. Last year was a bust for me for this exact reason

I have some things that might interest you.

First, I have some polarotor/co-rotor stand-alone control boxes that will control the polarity and skew from inside the house. It uses the same wires as the old analog receivers uses minus the receiver. :)

older-style-chaparall-polarity-controller.jpg new-polarity-controller.jpg chaparall-polarity-controller.jpg

Secondly, if you just want that last fraction of a signal, I have 4 or 5 of the old "patent infringing" Co-Rotors still. These have the ADL probe on the end, and work significantly better than the Co-Rotor II feed-horns.

original-corotors-probe.jpg original-corotors.jpg

This is the Co-Rotor II probe.

co-rotorii.jpg

I've got so much satellite equipment, that sometimes I can't find it when I want it. :)

I have some things that might interest you.

First, I have some polarotor/co-rotor stand-alone control boxes that will control the polarity and skew from inside the house. It uses the same wires as the old analog receivers uses minus the receiver. :)

View attachment 66125 View attachment 66126 View attachment 66127

Secondly, if you just want that last fraction of a signal, I have 4 or 5 of the old "patent infringing" Co-Rotors still. These have the ADL probe on the end, and work significantly better than the Co-Rotor II feed-horns.

View attachment 66128 View attachment 66130

This is the Co-Rotor II probe.

View attachment 66129

I've got so much satellite equipment, that sometimes I can't find it when I want it. :)

Although I do understand when life demands that new chapters be started, your retirement from the hobby is a loss to people like me.

I don't know the story of the patent infringement, so I don't know its significance. Sure, I'm interested in these things, but haven't a clue how to work them. I figure I'd have to wire it up and then experiment.

When I think about the ideal skew control interface, it's operated by remote and the position of the rotor appears on a circle on the screen. Then you ought to be able to set it at that value for that satellite. I am guessing of course. With absolutely nothing new out there to do the job......

Anyway, thanks but it's hard to buy stuff when I don't know how to work it and there isn't a manual.

How much are the items you picture? PM me and we will see.

Again, sorry you are leaving and good luck in your new challenges.

Although I do understand when life demands that new chapters be started, your retirement from the hobby is a loss to people like me.

Thanks! Even though I am "downsizing", and moving, I doubt very seriously that I'll be leaving the hobby altogether. :) I'm sure there will be lots of stories coming from me about fights with HOA's and municipalities, and yes perhaps even some landlords. :eek:

I don't know the story of the patent infringement, so I don't know its significance.

Here is a thread that explains all about the differences between the original Co-Rotor, and the newer Co-Rotor IIs. It took me a while to find it, but it is worth reading.

Sure, I'm interested in these things, but haven't a clue how to work them. I figure I'd have to wire it up and then experiment.

They work exactly as the skew on an analog, or 4DTV receiver except you don't even have numbers on the screen to look at, so yes, it would require some experimentation, but you would no longer need to have a receiver in the line to use them. The polarity change is a simple throw switch, while the skew is a dial, so you simply throw the switch back and forth, and dial in for best signal.

When I think about the ideal skew control interface, it's operated by remote and the position of the rotor appears on a circle on the screen. Then you ought to be able to set it at that value for that satellite. I am guessing of course. With absolutely nothing new out there to do the job......

There will not be anything new on the market for this mode of signal reception simply because the technology is dying, so to put it succinctly, there is old school technology for servo driven feed-horns, voltage controlled LNBFs, or orthomode feeds.

Anyway, thanks but it's hard to buy stuff when I don't know how to work it and there isn't a manual.

How much are the items you picture? PM me and we will see.

Your best bet to get something newer to control polarity and skew with this kind of technology is to buy a Pansat 2500, 2700, or 3500. They all have servo controllers built in to them, but then again, you have the signal loss of another receiver in the line which could detract from the signal gained.

PM me with what you might be willing to pay for the controllers, and/or the patent infringing co-rotors, and we'll talk. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)