36V Actuator and V-Box on the 120cm is working.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cascade

Goose.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 1, 2004
37.134004N 76.561779W
To save myself chewing up another motor I put a standard 18" actuator along with the DMSI V-Box on the polar mount.
I have no need for the Diseqc actuator now as the Vbox stores and controls the 18"BUD actuator perfectly and pulls the 120cm dish up from both far ends of the arc perfectly, the actuator and the V-Box have more than enough power.

I still need to slow the actuator down a little, I think either a 25Watt resistor or a longer pivot arm will do the trick, I thought a 200ft run of actuator wiring would help slow it down but it didn't.

It's gonna be a long weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_9186.jpg
    IMG_9186.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 284
Awesome Cascade. My actuator and V Box should be here Saturday and I will be able to get my 1.2 up and working. Keep me informed on slowing down the actuator because we have the same hardware setup. :D

I think I'll take the 6" axis arm and replace it with a 9", the 18" actuator should be long enough for the job, it arrived in a coffin - a lot bigger than I anticipated.

Cascade said:
I think I'll take the 6" axis arm and replace it with a 9", the 18" actuator should be long enough for the job, it arrived in a coffin - a lot bigger than I anticipated.

How many days did it take to get it? I orderded my stuff last night and I received an email today that it has shipped. Is the actuator worth the $19 we paid?

I ordered Monday, received it yesterday.
The motor casing on mine was a little bent and there's a crack on the plastic guarding the end of the motor but for $19 you can't complain.

Hmm. Interesting.
The only reason for using a 120 CM dish is because that is the biggest dish that you can put on a Horizon-to-Horizon STAB Motor. So how much better do you think reception would be if you upgrade to a 150cm dish and use the setup described above? It's just a thought. I'm not sure what the price increase would be, but if we are talking less than $100 total in return for improved reception and possibly more channels, it might be worth the investment. Bascially you're adding 12 inches to the size of the dish from 3' 10" to 4' 10". Fortec still classifies this 150cm dish as a KU band dish. The C-band dish starts at 180cm. The 150cm dish may still be small enough to "hide" in the back yard and get the wife seal of approval.

Did I hear right? You only paid $19 for the actuator for the 120 CM dish? Let me know the details, I havn't been keeping up with the forum latley but would like the details and am sorry if you have already posted them.

rjc3895 said:
Hmm. Interesting.
The only reason for using a 120 CM dish is because that is the biggest dish that you can put on a Horizon-to-Horizon STAB Motor.

I don't use the STAB motor, I've never even seen one in use although I'd love to try out the HH120.
I have a pair of SG2100s which I used up until I got the polar mount along with a diseqc actuator.
The coax run was too long to power the actuator so I went to a 36V system along with this 18" jack - I figure if a BUD mover wouldn't work, nothing will.

I bought the actuator from Ivystoneplace:
http://www.ivystoneplace.com
Only 2 left in stock, grab them while you can :)

I bought the V-Box from PSB and it was worth every penny.

A prime focus 180cm is the absolute max I can go to considering the space I have to work with, the wife factor isn't a problem.

I just received my actuator and it looks brand new. No dents or bent parts. Two day shipping, wow. I should have my polar mount sometime next week and I will be in business. I hope to start testing C-band tomorrow but will have to wait to motorize it.

Cascade said:
I don't use the STAB motor, I've never even seen one in use although I'd love to try out the HH120.

I just ordered one of the remaining 18" actuators because I am going to adapt the CM polar mount to my Patriot 1.2 meter dish. So I just happen to have a practically new HH120 that I would love to sell you once I get the dish on the polar mount.

Dishpointer said:
Awesome Jim. Do you already have the polar mount or are you going to order it?

I ordered it this afternoon. I should have it late next week so says the Dow salesman I spoke to. He said I was the second one he sold one to today. Did someone else here buy one? I ordered the DP 710 V Box from Pete last night, so by the end of next weekend I should have it working. Can't wait because the HH120 just isn't doing the job and the Jaeger 1224, although very nice to just to spendy for my blood. By the way, the 9 digit CM part number for the 1.2 polar mount is 611603302.

rayydio said:
I ordered it this afternoon. I should have it late next week so says the Dow salesman I spoke to. He said I was the second one he sold one to today. Did someone else here buy one?

Yep, that was me. They didn't know the part number last Friday so I had to get it from CM/Andrew. I told the guy at Dow that he might be getting a few more orders of these this week. He laughed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)