3D Glasses - are any not so dark?

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
I got a new Mitsi 73" 3D DLP set and am very pleased with its performance, but when watching 3D, I have to really darken the room much more than I care for to be able to enjoy 3D stuff.

I'm using the Sony PS3 IR glasses with my set and they work good except for the darkening. Are there some other types/brands that don't darken so much?

I can use IR or DLP glasses with this set without an external emitter, but I'm not adverse to switching to something else if it will help.

Shutter glasses have the side effect of causing a darker image. Only way around it is to get a set that uses passive glasses like they use in 3D theaters.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll just get used to it, and you know they say you can get used to hanging if you just hang long enough! :)

I've done some research on my own and came to the same conclusions. There are some that are not quite as dark as the PS3 3D ones, but from what I read it is just slightly less. In the meantime, I fiddled with some settings on the DLP and got something that is good enough for most light situations with the exception of bright sun. I can live with that.

No, it doesn't do it automatically, or at least if it does, it is so slight that I can't notice it.

It has 5 presets for video settings, 2 of which are very complete and the other 3 are just the usual brightness, contrast and so forth. Right now I set the video to 'ADV1' which is the brighter of the 2 advanced video settings when I watch 3D and 2D to 3D conversion.

I keep thinking that if I were to set Temp to 'Cool' for 3D that with the tint and darkness, it would be just right. But you can't set that in 3D mode, and in advanced mode they don't show color temp as a setting at all.

I wonder why DLPs didn't do passive 3D since DLP is essentially what many theaters are using or at least that's the claim from Mitsi.

I've been playing around quite a bit with the settings on the TV and found that when I go to 3D or 2D to 3D conversion, that if I set Video to Bright with the Color Temp high, I get a brighter picture and the color temp change is somewhat offset by the tint in the Sony glasses. Very much good enough for most viewing light situations in my home.

One thing I started using a bit more than I ever thought I would is 2D to 3D conversion. While it certainly isn't anywhere as good as a good 3D movie, on some movies and shows it is very, very good! I watched AVP (Aliens vs Predator 2D) last night, and the effect using the conversion was amazing. Better even than Green Lantern 3D by far. I set the depth to -2 and have watched a few more shows/movies with the conversion on and it is simply amazing to me how well the TV does all on its own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts