3D in 2012 -- May send me to DirecTv

jchalk59

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I've been very happy as a Dish Customer for the past 5 years and am excited about the upcoming Hopper/Joey DVR...

However I've recently purchased a new 3D television and am really excited to start seeing some content on it. I'm not a big fan of purchasing DVDs... I like Dish's Blockbuster service for movies and can never see me really investing in owning physical media again. It just takes up to much space.

What I really want is more 3D content... and it seems like Dish is completely out of the game here. DirecTv has several channels including ESPN3D. Why can't Dish put a few more out there? Is there any plan to do so?

The final straw was when I was watching my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes play Michigan last week. Not only did we lose, but the loss would have been easier to take if I was at least enjoying the ESPN3D that the announcers were raving about...

I called and complained to Dish late last year and they tried to tell me that they had 3D on my 722... if I wanted to watch Kung Fu Panda (or some such movie) and pay $5 to see it. Seriously? I want some linear channels--much like how HDNet was at the beginning of the decade.

If I have to call our a satellite person to come out and swap at satellite boxes for the Hopper/Joey, I'm actually leaning more towards going to DirecTV... with them I'm getting the 3D content in addition to new customer pricing. Perhaps I'll give DirecTv a chance for 2 years and then come back to Dish.

Does anyone have any inside info on 3D on Dish? If someone knows something is happening in the next 6 months I'll wait. If not, I'm switching.

I don't want dish to add any 3D beyond the once in awhile VOD, if it means further delays in the RSN's being in HD more, and even more regular channels are in HD. There is comparatively very little 3D programming, at this time. No question if 3D is big for you over anything else, get Direct TV.

I hope Dish doesn't add any 3D channels. I would much prefer they focus on something more important, like working out at deal with Disney. I still think 3D is a fad and it will go away eventually. I know there are die hard fans of 3D but I can't stand watching anything in 3D.

jchalk - If 3d is important for you then I would suggest moving to Direct if they have what you want. I seriously doubt Dish will be adding much soon.

Last edited:
Jchalk59 Has a point. 3D is the latest thing. Come on Dish. Bite the bullet and call it the price of being a technology leader. It's not about numbers all the time.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

I have been told that Dish's position on 3D is much like what has been said in the last couple of above responses. Until they are convinced beyond any doubt that a profit is to be made they will not join the 3D world. Could be a leader but chooses to be a follower.

The only thing I believe you will see in 3D this year besides PPV / VOD is the 3D NBC Olympics coverage. There are no other linear 3D channels planned.

Anything besides that and you will want DIRECTV.

I have been told that Dish's position on 3D is much like what has been said in the last couple of above responses. Until they are convinced beyond any doubt that a profit is to be made they will not join the 3D world. Could be a leader but chooses to be a follower.
I'm with Dish on this one....3D will be here & gone in a couple years....again. :rolleyes:

Even without you saying that, I have thought it for awhile.........

I can say a number of providers that were carrying (including UVERSE) dropped it reportedly due to the cost and the low number of subscribers that the channel had.

I believe DIRECTV is the only one carrying it now.

OP, here is some of the 3D available from Directv, some I have archived... (I have whole home so both dvr's contents are listed) and a couple of guide examples... I love Bullproof, In the Qube and some of the other series...

Attachments

• D3D 1.JPG
    D3D 1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 267
  • D3D 2.JPG
    D3D 2.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 227
  • D3D 5.JPG
    D3D 5.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 208
  • D 3D.JPG
    D 3D.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 206
  • D 3D 3.JPG
    D 3D 3.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 198
  • D 3D 6.JPG
    D 3D 6.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 3D.jpg
    3D.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 3D2.jpg
    3D2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 191
The only thing I believe you will see in 3D this year besides PPV / VOD is the 3D NBC Olympics coverage. There are no other linear 3D channels planned.

Anything besides that and you will want DIRECTV.[/QUOTE

Scott-Do you mean NBC has plans to broadcast the Olympics in 3D?:confused: Please enlighten us.

Thanks!
Ed

Jchalk59- so let me get this straight, you like dish and are excited about hopper but are angry dish lacks 3d? Like others have said 3d is in a faze and will go away at some point. Second, 3d is only good for movies.. Who cares about a basketball coming at you. Trust me I had directv and they just changed their prgramming package and they took away a few channels and put them on the highest package. They lie about everything, raise rates every year and then they blame it on the channel providers. If you knew dish didn't have the 3d channels then you should have bought a non 3d tv. You can't be angry at dish because you bought a 3d tv knowing dish's lacked them .

If you want a TV with the latest non-3D features, you really can't find one that isn't 3D. So don't blame him for buying a 3D tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts