3D in 2012 -- May send me to DirecTv

LER said:
3d is a waste for ME as I am Monocular. (Lazy eye). Sooo, more HD and settle with Disney would be my priority.

I'm a broken record, but my friend is like you. Doesn't give a damn because he can't see it, lazy eye too. I personally am tired of the moaning about 3D, perfect HD. Quite frankly I enjoy 3D in the real world. I just want to see a nice picture.

CNET voted 3D as once of the worst flops of last yer. Other than movies in 3D and ESPN3D, what is available in 3D? What does Direct have that Dish doesn't?
I don't have a 3D TV and have no plans of getting one. My wife is virtually blind in 1 eye so 3D would be wasted on her.

No so far just VOD.
Given the dearth of new 3D programming that shows up each month, VOD makes sense for 3D. I believe it takes more than a few hours of new and unique content a month to support a full-time channel of any kind. See more at Voom, Shorts HD and Smithsonian.

Sports may be the best candidate for 3D but it is also the worst in that you lose interest after seeing most sporting events once (or possibly before watching it if you know the outcome).

3D is a nichee market, its not for everyone... But for those that love their 3D... they love their 3D and they want more content... I can understand that.

For some people who don't like 3D they could care less and don't want to see bandwidth used for 3D, which is understandable...

The key is putting up 3D that people will watch. If people want it and want to pay for it then that should eventually tip the scales.

CNET voted 3D as once of the worst flops of last yer. Other than movies in 3D and ESPN3D, what is available in 3D? What does Direct have that Dish doesn't?
I don't have a 3D TV and have no plans of getting one. My wife is virtually blind in 1 eye so 3D would be wasted on her.
Look at the caps I posted a page or 2 back... here are the 2 networks Directv has n3d ... DirecTV n3D TV Schedule | LocateTV

3net ... 3net: Schedule

Given the dearth of new 3D programming that shows up each month, VOD makes sense for 3D. I believe it takes more than a few hours of new and unique content a month to support a full-time channel of any kind. See more at Voom, Shorts HD and Smithsonian.

Sports may be the best candidate for 3D but it is also the worst in that you lose interest after seeing most sporting events once (or possibly before watching it if you know the outcome).
People thought this 10 years ago with HD only VOD wasn't available... HD was "stealing bandwidth"from SD ;)

Other than movies in 3D and ESPN3D, what is available in 3D?
Panasonic offers an always on 3D channel, n3D, as well as 3net, a collaboration between Discovery, Sony and IMAX. Both are offered by DIRECTV.

Fresh programming appears to total in the handful of hours per month.

3D is a nichee market, its not for everyone... But for those that love their 3D... they love their 3D and they want more content... I can understand that.
I think that many would agree.

Is having one or more linear 3D channels is really getting you much in the way of "more" content or is it simply the same content re-run ad-infinitum?

Is having one or more linear 3D channels is really getting you much in the way of "more" content or is it simply the same content re-run ad-infinitum?
Reminds me of VOOM, the content was so great the the issue was the same thing being shown over and over and over again. N3D and 3NET have some great shows but it has the same problem VOOM had.

Reminds me of VOOM, the content was so great the the issue was the same thing being shown over and over and over again. N3D and 3NET have some great shows but it has the same problem VOOM had.

I think the last paragraph of jchalk59's post #33 sums up why some here don't understand Dish's reluctance to offer 3D. The vast majority of 50"+ displays sold during the second half of 2012 and beyond will be 3D capable. Why would Dish want to present the opportunity for those buyers the choice that jchalk59 is making. It obviously makes sense to many here but I just don't see it. Even if you don't like 3D, many of the 3D sets offer better PQ than the same manufactures 2D sets, and the prices are not that much higher.

It's available if you want to watch it and it is not eating up HDD space.

The problem is that from what I can tell, Dish has 2 movies at a time in 3D. If you don't like those movies then you are out of luck. Another poster on here had 8 screenshots full of 3D content I'd love to watch from DirecTV. Hubble 3D was one that was listed--it's sold for $35 on Blu-Ray 3D. Do I want to pay $35 to buy the disc? No. I probably only want to see if once or twice, actually... but it is content that Dish does not have. If you have a couple of linear channels, you are at least committing to putting something on those channels. Dish currently offers me "Kung Fu Panda 2" and "Harold and Kumar's 3D Christmas". Seriously?

A linear channel and dedicated attention on the website also shows me that DirecTV is committed to bringing more 3D content onto their service. It's like HDNet was a few years ago... not a lot of content, but at least there is something to watch until the content comes available. As prices come down and studios can buy a 3D camera for the same price as a 2D camera, more and more stuff will come out on 3D as default with the option to "downgrade" (or to some posters on here "upgrade" to 2D.

I'm of the mind that 3D is here to stay. For a company to not invest in it tells me that this company is not serious about high technology items. I'm an admittedly high-tech guy, so I think my mind is made up.

The only thing holding me back is a fear of losing out on my 30 second skip button on the Dish remote. For a while I knew that Dish was the only company that offered it. Does DirecTV have the 30 second skip forward and 10 second skip back? If so, then I'm moving on.

The only thing holding me back is a fear of losing out on my 30 second skip button on the Dish remote. For a while I knew that Dish was the only company that offered it. Does DirecTV have the 30 second skip forward and 10 second skip back? If so, then I'm moving on.
Directv comes set up to do a 30 second "slip", but it can also do a 30 second "skip" by changing a setting with a keyword search.
Like dferg, I am not sure what the time frame is on the skip/slip in reverse.

I too recently purchased a 3D TV and have been amazed with it. I keep hearing how the TV manufacturers have been disappointed with 3D TV adoption rates, but I think that they partially have themselves to blame. Most 3D TV use active 3D glasses and do not come with any glasses. After purchasing a expensive TV, the last thing a consumer wants is to shell out another $200 to $400 on special glasses (that only work with that brand) for the family. Personally I purchased a LG passive 3D TV and have been very happy with it. I even went to the opening day of the 3D version of Star Wars so I could get the special Darth Maul glasses that work great with my TV. I now have 10 pairs of 3D glasses. The other huge issue is the lack of content. Dish has hardly any, I don't think other providers have much, and there are not a lot of 3D movies out on BluRay. Even some movies (Avatar, Monsters vs Aliens, Shrek Forever After) that are out are TV manufacture exclusives with no time frame on when they will be in general release. I have purchased 4 3D movies so far, but I cannot really fine much more I want at this point. Same goes with games, there are just not a lot of 3D games available, and most do not even publicize the fact they are 3D very well. Went in to a couple game stores the other day and asked what games do 3D and they had no idea.
Until glasses are included with every 3D TV and there is more content, 3D will be regulated to a Fad. I hope not though.

I too recently purchased a 3D TV and have been amazed with it. I keep hearing how the TV manufacturers have been disappointed with 3D TV adoption rates, but I think that they partially have themselves to blame. Most 3D TV use active 3D glasses and do not come with any glasses. After purchasing a expensive TV, the last thing a consumer wants is to shell out another $200 to $400 on special glasses (that only work with that brand) for the family. Personally I purchased a LG passive 3D TV and have been very happy with it. I even went to the opening day of the 3D version of Star Wars so I could get the special Darth Maul glasses that work great with my TV. I now have 10 pairs of 3D glasses. The other huge issue is the lack of content. Dish has hardly any, I don't think other providers have much, and there are not a lot of 3D movies out on BluRay. Even some movies (Avatar, Monsters vs Aliens, Shrek Forever After) that are out are TV manufacture exclusives with no time frame on when they will be in general release. I have purchased 4 3D movies so far, but I cannot really fine much more I want at this point. Same goes with games, there are just not a lot of 3D games available, and most do not even publicize the fact they are 3D very well. Went in to a couple game stores the other day and asked what games do 3D and they had no idea.
Until glasses are included with every 3D TV and there is more content, 3D will be regulated to a Fad. I hope not though.

I remember going to disneyland and seeing "Honey, i shrunk the kids" It was awesome! My kids who were very young at the time were on the edge of their seats and terrified at the sight of the lion in the film. I think there was a snake too. With that said, Can any consumer 3D viewed at home compare to what Disney offers at their theme parks?

Knowing what I know... It would not surprise me to see ESPN 3D not around too much longer. :( (I can't say more then that)

When you started spreading those comments at CES I contacted the executive producer and PR officer at ESPN and was told they would like to know who is saying that. I didn't mention it was you but did say that it is someone who is a known author in the satellite industry. I was assured that ESPN has no intention of shutting down and in fact their next 2 years has an agenda of expansion and continued investment in more 3D equipment. Did you know that their entire booth at CES was demonstrating ESPN 3D. They recently added mega bucks in field production equipment and are in process of expanding their coverage. They are also aware of the bad mouthing that Dish representatives are saying about 3D at CES but they are continuing to have talks with Dish about carrying ESPN 3D.

When I spoke to one of the few reps at the Dish Booth, he assured me that Dish will never have 3D channels like DirecTV because 3D has already died in the industry. He then tried to tell me that Dish never demonstrated 3D last year at CES. With the huge crowds at the LG booth next door and hardly more that 20 people at the Dish Booth, I decided it was no use even talking to this dimwit who was more interested in being in denial than having a sensible conversation.

Will Dish have 3D channels some day? Maybe if Charlie wakes up and fires the current fools running the show in his absence. The company has lost it's MOJO since Charlie left the helm.

For those interested in DirecTV 3D channels, I recently explored the bare minimum of a DVR and service to get those channels. due to the "advanced" nature of 3D DTV charges additional fees per month. Bottom line is it would cost an average per month of $65 over two years to get those channels. This may go up as what I was using for the basis of service was a special discount ending Feb 29th. Considering the content is limited and that personally, I'm not inclined to watch all the ESPN 3D sports, what's left is pretty thin. In fact I found I could get all the content I wanted through a la carte "own" the download for about 20% of the DTV monthly charge using my PS3 and Playstation store. They keep expanding the 3D offerings. The disadvantage is my way is a search and download while DTV has the advantage of convenience and DVR save. ( I assume that is possible )

The only reason I stay with Dish currently is I like the 722k series DVR's with sling and Ext HD. If not for that, I would switch and then the DTV service would be about the same as what I pay at Dish.

Now for my comments about those of you 3D haters- You know who you are. You posted you hope Dish never does 3D channels so those of us won't have the opportunity to see what we enjoy on Dish. How mean and selfish you are! Why are you so afraid of 3D? If you want to play that game, I hope your dish gets struck by lightning. :D