3D in 2012 -- May send me to DirecTv

To be honest,I have DTV & I bought a 3D VIP Theater adapter to watch 3D on my non-3D TV. My experience so far with DIRECTV 3D is that there is a lot of artifact that I so far can't seem to get rid of. In fact,only watching 3D movies on Blu-ray that are letterboxed seems to work for my setup. Fullscreen 3D is a mess for me. Before you "jump" to DTV for 3D,find out if it will work on your TV. The D* site recommends Panasonic 3D plasma TV. Of all the reasons to jump to D*,watching 3D if you don't have the compatible equipment isn't one of them.

Even if all the negatives about 3D are true, what would it hurt for Dish to offer a 3D package for a couple of bucks? With a premium charge there would be dollars to use to get 1 or 2 or 3 more channels than Cable or Direct and have bragging rights.

If/when it dies, pull the plug. No one is asking Dish to build a new down link facility or launch new satellites.

And... If you all are saying Dish doesn't have the transponder room then you are admitting they are falling behind Direct and Cable. Are they?

I don't plan on buying a 3D TV but if the next one comes with that capability I'd have to consider which provider lets me use this new gimmick.

Be a leader, not a laggard.

Perception is reality, as they say.

Part time HD RSNs. Why? No transponder room. Yes, they are falling behind Direct and Cable. But they have more national non-sport networks in HD. So, it's a priority thing. But the part about not having enough transponder room is true.

Diversity, that's why those of us that can do, and why I am am a dual sub to Directv and Dish... they both p*** me off at times, but both make me proud at times... I like 3D, hate Directv's EHDD archive system, love Directv's MRV & would love Dishes MRV except for the no ViP integration with the Hopper/Joey system. It's all TV, get what ya like. :)

Part time HD RSNs. Why? No transponder room. Yes, they are falling behind Direct and Cable. But they have more national non-sport networks in HD. So, it's a priority thing. But the part about not having enough transponder room is true.
Well, that has to get laid solely at the feet of the CEO, the chairman and the board of directors for not having an aggressive long range plan to have adequate transponder space ready when it's needed.

Anyway it sounds like there isn't a magic wand that can solve these issues.

I'll be around for quite a while. Maybe it will improve in time.:)

Spy Kids 3-D, the first of the big family 3-D movies, was released nearly a DECADE ago. EVERY top-end television sold today is 3-D capable. Nearly every theater has a 3-D setup. Not to mention 3-D gaming and glasses-free technology.

Lambada was a fad. I think content providers and producers who ignore 3-D are taking a much larger risk than those plowing forward with it.

chrisn said:
Spy Kids 3-D, the first of the big family 3-D movies, was released nearly a DECADE ago. EVERY top-end television sold today is 3-D capable. Nearly every theater has a 3-D setup. Not to mention 3-D gaming and glasses-free technology.

Lambada was a fad. I think content providers and producers who ignore 3-D are taking a much larger risk than those plowing forward with it.

I honestly don't see how "eye glasses 3d" will ever be main stream. But I've been wrong before, not often but every now and then.

None the less, Dish has got follow the industry and the industry is going 3d.

Jeez, I don't think it involves much if any capital investment, just an allocation of resources... for as long as needed. If 3d fades out the resources get allocated for other needs.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

Jchalk59- so let me get this straight, you like dish and are excited about hopper but are angry dish lacks 3d? Like others have said 3d is in a faze and will go away at some point. Second, 3d is only good for movies.. Who cares about a basketball coming at you. Trust me I had directv and they just changed their prgramming package and they took away a few channels and put them on the highest package. They lie about everything, raise rates every year and then they blame it on the channel providers. If you knew dish didn't have the 3d channels then you should have bought a non 3d tv. You can't be angry at dish because you bought a 3d tv knowing dish's lacked them .

I don't think you understand Dishfan82. I signed up with Dish 5 years ago -- before 3D. I also like 3D and waited for a year until Dish had 3D content in order for me to buy a 3D TV--that was also larger and fit the room that I wanted to place it in. I got tired of waiting and decided to upgrade this TV--my primary TV a couple of months ago and was hoping for Dish to add 3D capabilities as a part of their new Hopper/Joey rollout.

So, my history with Dish predates my current affinity towards 3D. I'd like to get the most out of the home theater I've purchased, and that means 3D content. If Dish doesn't have it, then why stick with them? It's because I like them. Heck, I'm not even getting any discounts on the service and I still use them. My assumption was that I must not be the only one upset with this... but perhaps I am. Perhaps everyone like me has already moved onto DirecTV...

What I plan to do is switch to DirecTV and save money by being a new customer. Enjoy 3D content and see what it's like to go to the "dark side" of DirecTV and then re-evaluate Dish vs. DirecTV after my 2 year commitment is up to see if I would like to go back to Dish. DirecTV gets a shot at me as a customer, and if I'm unhappy in 2 years Dish may have another shot at me.

Agree completely Steve. I'd be willing to pay a couple bucks extra. I pay extra for the Big Ten Network, for instance, and have no problem doing so since I know it's a niche market.

My hope was that with the Hopper coming out, they could even deliver 3D content over their internet VOD, so it would even be OK if it wasn't taking satellite space...

They have 3D VOD content available now on the 722k and 922.

Of course the Hopper will fully support 3D as well. :)

Scott -- perhaps I'm not seeing it... is there more than their one or 2 premium VOD movies? I'd be much more interested in a slight level of variety, and not pay-per-view.

No so far just VOD.

DISH would like to keep a larger selection of 3D VOD up but its the studios giving them the amount of time they can keep a movie up and available.

Doubtful it would be OTA, probably be a special feed available to Satellite/Cable companys.
Why do you doubt OTA 3D? Isn't it a compatible signal that co-exists in the transmission stream with the 2D signal? Or did I miss the point yet again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)