3D in 2012 -- May send me to DirecTv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am happy to supply fodder for you and supply balance for you always knowing everything in your posts. Also, for your information I did read the article.
But not the entire thread. Based on statements made in this thread, even before the article was available, that article does not put anything to bed.

I'm not seeing a future of success for 3D based on things already covered, but I just don't think we are anywhere near it's full demise however. The article has elements of it, but it's one article. I can find more optimistic articles also.

I have no interest in 3D TV. I hate the 3D glasses and 3D effects. I am more than happy with just having standard HD. I hope 3D doesn't take off like HD did.

I'm not seeing a future of success for 3D based on things already covered, but I just don't think we are anywhere near it's full demise however. The article has elements of it, but it's one article. I can find more optimistic articles also.
Stop making sense. We will have no rational discourse in these forums!!!

I have no interest in 3D TV. I hate the 3D glasses and 3D effects. I am more than happy with just having standard HD. I hope 3D doesn't take off like HD did.
Well thanks for that. I hope that whatever I don't like but you do, is a miserable flop. So there.

GaryPen said:
It's incredible how you can be wrong in every single post you make. I've never seen that before. Not every single post.

I think the problem may be how you start with actual facts, but then go on to misunderstand, exaggerate, or perhaps even deliberately twist their meaning. It may not be your fault, though, as society itself has gotten to the point where everybody seems to take an extreme stance on every issue, and twisting facts to support their opinion. I miss the days when people would base their opinion on the facts, instead of manipulating facts to support their opnions. (But, luckily, there are a few us who still do that.)

In any case, that article puts nothing to bed, as has been discussed here in this very thread. You would know that if you actually read it. (THat goes for both the thread and the article.)

3D channels are still a niche market. However, Blu-ray 3D and 3D at the cinema are both expanding in my opinion. I bet we will see 3D take off when the companies who manufacture the TVs make it possible without the glasses. I still hate it because of the people with vision problems not getting access to it, due to those crappy glasses. And the current still lack of HD programming on some providers.

Last edited:
It was time for a new TV, and like many ended up with a 3D model, not really for the 3D but it had the settings and advanced features I wanted that were not available in the 2D model. It's passive 3D and without a doubt, after watching with electronic glassed 3D at my friends house passive is hands down the way to go. The newer passive technology is better than even last year.
That said just as this whole thread there are some real things holding it back, but, a couple of bright lights. There is just not a great amount of 3D even on Blu ray, especially if you are not into science fiction movies or animated movies. Those categories make up the bulk of 3D available. If I'm not looking in the right places I am certainly open to where to look. I'm not a Vampire fan, but I do like movies like ICE AGE, so there is something there. I streamed a 3D movie, INTO the WILD (not animated). I'm not sure how much 3D added to the overall enjoyment, but using the passive glasses does make it much more enjoyable than the electronic. I still see a depth issue that I saw the very first time I saw 3D shown in the store. When a person or people are in the foreground of a very large object or a mountain, or even a very large building they seem like they were added to the scene, dropped into place. The ratio of size just seems off. In addition the picture just isn't as good as 2D. If 3D is important to a movie, that may not matter as much.

Now as a plus, a pretty big one, the TV can take a 2D picture,any 2D, and make it "3D" but you will want it to be an HD picture. It may not be what a true 3D picture would be but it does make it 3D. That opens up of course most any program or movie to be in 3D if you wish. There are some programs that seem to become 3D very well, others that don't for some reason. "Pickers" for example actually looks quite good in 2D to 3D, while NCIS does not. I thought watching baseball in 2D to 3D was enjoyable, but even with passive glasses, my eyes do get fatigued after something like an hour or hour and a half or so. I find as the novelty wears off, I am not using 2D to 3D all that often, but admit it does add to some programming.
I have one 3D blu-ray given as part of the deal for the TV, in Imax, BORN TO BE WILD. Some scenes especially POV scenes are enhanced with 3D no doubt, other scenes not as much. I am looking forward to watching AVATAR at some point in 3D as I did like it in 2D and seems to be one of the best movies yet to translate to 3D.

The TV has some apps for 3D shorts. There you can find some examples of the object coming out of the screen at you like at the 3D movies at Disney World for example. Pretty impressive.

Still not convinced 3D is anywhere near a must have as HD is, but there are some signs of life. My feeling that Dish does not need to do much with it at this time would still hold true. But an exception would be the Olympics, though so few by percentage subscribers have a 3D capable receiver.

Last edited:
Tampa8 said:
It was time for a new TV, and like many ended up with a 3D model, not really for the 3D but it had the settings and advanced features I wanted that were not available in the 2D model. It's passive 3D and without a doubt, after watching with electronic glassed 3D at my friends house passive is hands down the way to go. The newer passive technology is better than even last year.

What tv did you get?

QUOTE There is just not a great amount of 3D even on Blu ray, especially if you are not into science fiction movies or animated movies..QUOTE

Here are some 3D BluRays you might like; IMAX: Under the Sea 3D , The Universe: 7 Wonders of the Solar System , IMAX: The Ultimate Wave - Tahiti , Titanic, IMAX: Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk , Cave of Forgotten Dreams , IMAX: Deep Sea , Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides , WWII in 3D, Dinosaurs Alive, 3D Safari Africa , IMAX: Legends of Flight , IMAX: Space Station , Alice In Wonderland , Piranha, IMAX: Ocean Wonderland , Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man , Kenny Chesney: Summer in 3D , Drive Angry , Imax: Hubble 3D , Priest, The Three Musketeers , Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs , Earth 3D , My Bloody Valentine 3D , Dolphin Tale , Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2011: The 3D Experience , A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas , IMAX: Arabia , Safari 3D - REGION FREE - UK Import , IMAX: Wild Ocean , Glee: 3d Concert Movie , Fright Night , Jackass 3, Dolphins and Whales , IMAX: Ultimate G's - Zac's Flying Dream , Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia (IMAX) , A Haunting in Salem, Titanic 3-D (History Channel), The Scorpions: Get Your Sting & Blackout Live in 3D, IMAX: Sharks , IMAX: Sea Rex , and Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London 3D . I have left out more than 50 animated or SciFi movies. Many of the above are free on Directv. They have never been offered on Dish's PPV.

What tv did you get?

Lg 55LM7600 after over an hour going between the only two in the price range I was willing to pay that I was interested in, Samsung similar model being the other. I asked/made the salesman bring them side by side in the darkened media room and then adjusted as reasonably best I could each one..... I had to buy one after all that though I scared him and said I wasn't interested in buying today.... :)

QUOTE There is just not a great amount of 3D even on Blu ray, especially if you are not into science fiction movies or animated movies..QUOTE

Here are some 3D BluRays you might like; IMAX: Under the Sea 3D , The Universe: 7 Wonders of the Solar System , IMAX: The Ultimate Wave - Tahiti , Titanic, IMAX: Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk , Cave of Forgotten Dreams , IMAX: Deep Sea , Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides , WWII in 3D, Dinosaurs Alive, 3D Safari Africa , IMAX: Legends of Flight , IMAX: Space Station , Alice In Wonderland , Piranha, IMAX: Ocean Wonderland , Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man , Kenny Chesney: Summer in 3D , Drive Angry , Imax: Hubble 3D , Priest, The Three Musketeers , Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs , Earth 3D , My Bloody Valentine 3D , Dolphin Tale , Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2011: The 3D Experience , A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas , IMAX: Arabia , Safari 3D - REGION FREE - UK Import , IMAX: Wild Ocean , Glee: 3d Concert Movie , Fright Night , Jackass 3, Dolphins and Whales , IMAX: Ultimate G's - Zac's Flying Dream , Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia (IMAX) , A Haunting in Salem, Titanic 3-D (History Channel), The Scorpions: Get Your Sting & Blackout Live in 3D, IMAX: Sharks , IMAX: Sea Rex , and Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London 3D . I have left out more than 50 animated or SciFi movies. Many of the above are free on Directv. They have never been offered on Dish's PPV.

Appreciate the list! Some I have seen listed, but you did have some I have not.

Tampa8 said:
Lg 55LM7600 after over an hour going between the only two in the price range I was willing to pay that I was interested in, Samsung similar model being the other. I asked/made the salesman bring them side by side in the darkened media room and then adjusted as reasonably best I could each one..... I had to buy one after all that though I scared him and said I wasn't interested in buying today.... :)

Exactly the one I got. Love the 2d to 3d mode. Have not tried out the gaming split screen mode yet. Love the 3d sound.

Yes, the 3D "Zooming' sound works quite well. I really think the 2D to 3D is an aspect that alot of people don't know about, yet may be one of the biggest things to spur 3D if it can be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)