3D in 2012 -- May send me to DirecTv

I think it's wise for Dish to wait before doing anything that would cost much money to implement when it comes to 3D. When or if 3D does become mainstream certainly I will want some programming in 3D if I find it adds to the enjoyment. HD did just that for almost every TV program. 3D just doesn't seem at this time to have that kind of impact to where I just have to have it. Dish should keep improving equipment, add more HD channels, maybe improve RSN coverage, etc.. etc... first. Oh, and perhaps not raise prices to cover 3D costs.
Excellent post. To add to that, when and if Dish implements more 3D distribution, they should remain as PPV or VOD or a separate 3D package that those who really want it will pay for it, instead of distributing the added cost of 3D delivery to everyone. At the point that 3D becomes part of the mainstream, if it ever does, then the costs and accessibility can then be absorbed and rolled out to the majority, just as HD is now.

Excellent post. To add to that, when and if Dish implements more 3D distribution, they should remain as PPV or VOD or a separate 3D package that those who really want it will pay for it, instead of distributing the added cost of 3D delivery to everyone. At the point that 3D becomes part of the mainstream, if it ever does, then the costs and accessibility can then be absorbed and rolled out to the majority, just as HD is now.

I can't argue or disagree with any of your points. They are certainly quite valid. I do think though that when we look at who is behind the 3D technology push we will find a tremendous amount of money invested by every major player in the entertainment field. Not just TV manufactures but broadcasting companies like ABC/ESPN/Disney. There is such a cross over between some of these fields (SONY) that if they decide that 3D will fly, it will fly. Of course they may just decide to cut their losses in a few years but they've already invested a bunch of $$$ in 3D, and these folks are stubborn and do not like to admit failure. Sometimes they outsmart themselves.

I agree that the best 3D picture is from blu-ray.. But if that's the only way you're going to watch 3D you are forced to spend more money on a 3D blu-ray player and the cost of a 3D blu-ray movie is pretty expensive. For 3D to be successful the consumer needs a seamless transition with no fuss or muss. That will require top quality 3D broadcasting from the major studios like NBC,CBS,ABC,FOX, SCIFI,TNT, USA,ESPN,FSN's. The majority of prime time shows must be available in Avatar quality 3D. It also needs to reach the position that HD is now. Free HD for life equals free 3D for life.

I must respectfully disagree, if I bought a 3D HDTV I would gradually get everything I would need for 3D viewing.Look how long HD has been out before Free HD for Life was added.You can hope it happens but I have this strange feeling what you wish for is a long way off.But don't give up it never hurts to dream heck where would we be now without our dreamers.:)

Has anybody seen a 3D movie listed on a 722? I have yet to see one. People have mentioned seeing them on a 922. Dish says it should appear on Channel 1 or 501. So what's up with that?

I have seen only ONE 3-D movie on my 722k in the last 6 months and it was Capt.America. I bought it and watched it and it was great.

Lots of TV's being sold, but not to many 3D glasses. :)

I do think we will see 3D on DISH this Summer, and if the feedback is good we might see more.

Scott you were at CES 2012 if I remember correctly. How much hype over 3D was present this year? After listening/watching Revision3 and TWiT I had the impression there was less interest this year than at CES 2011.

Scott you were at CES 2012 if I remember correctly. How much hype over 3D was present this year? After listening/watching Revision3 and TWiT I had the impression there was less interest this year than at CES 2011.
I was there also, there were more displays this year & more players than last year and the Panasonic presentation was in 3D with clips promoting the Olympics and upcoming 3D like more from the ISS & Space Shuttle...

My apologies if this has already been said but what 3D is even out there beyond movies? Last I heard, the only provider to keep ESPN 3D was Direct. Outside of that, what do other providers offer? 3D isn't just in its infancy, its still in the womb as far as programming goes. Its only offered in the top tier and what exactly is out there worth watching. I know the electronics manufacturers and retailers would have you believe its the next great thing but its not. Even the movie studios aren't behind it when it comes to releasing 3D content on blu-ray. If your only gripe is a lack of 3D with Dish, then your just looking for a reason to switch.

For 3D to succeed it must be a collaboration between the providers and the equipment manufacturers. The TV manufacturers have done their part; now it's time for the providers to do theirs. In the 1960s, if the networks and the stations had dragged their feet on adopting color we would still be watching B&W. I agree with a previous poster that a good start would be offering 3D on a special programming tier and on PPV.

Baltzer

Last I heard, the only provider to keep ESPN 3D was Direct. Outside of that, what do other providers offer? .

I went to ESPN 3D and tried some zip codes from my Christmas list and it says it has the following carriers ( Directv , ATT Uverse, Verizon FIOS, Comcast(NE,FL) and Time Warner (TX). You can check your own neighborhood there. It seems the big carriers have it. It also seems the small guys don't. I guess Dish has put itself with the small guys.

Haven't seen anything posted, but my neighbor says Direct TV no longer has a 24HR 3D channel. I think he said channel 103? It's there with no programming.
He is another one who only bought a 3D because it was the best of the model line, if he wanted those features he pretty much had to get the 3D. He does like watching and playing with the 3D at times, but said he could never watch for more than a couple of hours or so.

This is just a wild guess on my part but the influx of OLED displays may be the breakout technology that 3D can hang its hat on. OLED is so new at the moment almost nobody has seen it. The overwhelming conclusion by the so called experts is that OLED will be the mainstay technology by 2017.

For 3D to succeed it must be a collaboration between the providers and the equipment manufacturers. The TV manufacturers have done their part; now it's time for the providers to do theirs. In the 1960s, if the networks and the stations had dragged their feet on adopting color we would still be watching B&W. I agree with a previous poster that a good start would be offering 3D on a special programming tier and on PPV.

Baltzer
The content providers are doing their part. In fact, I'd say they are doing it better than the HW providers. The studios have been cranking out a respectable number of titles in 3D. And, sports providers have been doing their part - ESPN and NBC Universal. It's the HW providers with their proprietary and incompatible active 3D technologies requiring expensive and incompatible glasses vs a passive standard that would mean inexpensive glasses that could be used with any display.

And, speaking of glasses, even if they all adopted a passive standard across brands, just the very fact of requiring glasses will keep many people away. The key to mass adoption will be "glassless" 3D. But, until then, they should have worked out an industry standard. For such smart people, they are f-ing idiots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)