3D in 2012 -- May send me to DirecTv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
They have 3D VOD content available now on the 722k and 922.

Of course the Hopper will fully support 3D as well. :)
OK, so what am I missing? I keep seeing posts that say the 722k does 3D. Well I have one together with my 3D TV and I cannot find any 3D VODs. Are they so infrequent that I just keep missing them? Another post mentioned that DISH generally runs two different 3D movies on VOD all the time. I sure can't find them. Is there some setting I need to enable on the 722k. Please help!

I should say that I would probably never pay for one of these movies. Like so many others, I'd be more in favor of linear 3D channels, even if they cost a few bucks a month. I just don't know why I can't even see the 3D VODs that are supposedly available on the 722k.

Thanks

Scott, have you heard from anybody at Dish as to why they are not offering 3D programing. We all seem to have out reasons for liking or not liking 3D and we read where My Eagan was going to re-visit 3D in 2011. Did he? What did he say? There's a whole lot more 3D TV's out there now than in 2010 when he used that as a reason. Just wondering if an insider may have heard anything.

OK, so what am I missing? I keep seeing posts that say the 722k does 3D. Well I have one together with my 3D TV and I cannot find any 3D VODs. Are they so infrequent that I just keep missing them? Another post mentioned that DISH generally runs two different 3D movies on VOD all the time. I sure can't find them. Is there some setting I need to enable on the 722k. Please help!

I should say that I would probably never pay for one of these movies. Like so many others, I'd be more in favor of linear 3D channels, even if they cost a few bucks a month. I just don't know why I can't even see the 3D VODs that are supposedly available on the 722k.

Thanks

I am seeing 2 3D VODs,Puss in Boots 3D and Adventures of TinTin 3D,on my 922. If you have a Favorites List try selecting My Channels or All Channels when your in your guide.

It might seem if no one selects these VOD offerings then DISH may think that there is no need for them to offer anything in 3D.

Always remember 3D HDTVs are more expensive,so are 3D Bluray players and 3D Bluray DVDs and 3D programming.;)

steve4810 said:
Jchalk59 Has a point. 3D is the latest thing. Come on Dish. Bite the bullet and call it the price of being a technology leader. It's not about numbers all the time.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

Not the latest just a waste of time and money 3d is.

Saw a 3d movie yesterday. Severe headache resulted. I like 3d but on some scenes I just cannot focus and it leads to severe eye strain. I would not invest in 3d as it stands right now.

I have a 622 and 722 which are suppose to have 3d. Neither TINTIN nor Puss'N'Boots are available. Anyone seeing them on Hopper???

Lots of TV's being sold, but not to many 3D glasses. :)

I do think we will see 3D on DISH this Summer, and if the feedback is good we might see more.

No doubt that many new 3D TV owners are waiting for some content from the studios. Relegating 3D to watching blu-rays is not going to get the job done. Perhaps the Olympics will provide the tipping point. But it better look fantastic.

Saw a 3d movie yesterday. Severe headache resulted. I like 3d but on some scenes I just cannot focus and it leads to severe eye strain. I would not invest in 3d as it stands right now.
A friend of mine showed me his 3D and that was my exact feeling. He has the active glasses type. 5 or so minutes made me almost want to puke.

Why not? The best HD picture now is from a Bluray DVD,1080p/24.

I agree that the best 3D picture is from blu-ray.. But if that's the only way you're going to watch 3D you are forced to spend more money on a 3D blu-ray player and the cost of a 3D blu-ray movie is pretty expensive. For 3D to be successful the consumer needs a seamless transition with no fuss or muss. That will require top quality 3D broadcasting from the major studios like NBC,CBS,ABC,FOX, SCIFI,TNT, USA,ESPN,FSN's. The majority of prime time shows must be available in Avatar quality 3D. It also needs to reach the position that HD is now. Free HD for life equals free 3D for life.

I agree that the best 3D picture is from blu-ray.. But if that's the only way you're going to watch 3D you are forced to spend more money on a 3D blu-ray player and the cost of a 3D blu-ray movie is pretty expensive. For 3D to be successful the consumer needs a seamless transition with no fuss or muss. That will require top quality 3D broadcasting from the major studios like NBC,CBS,ABC,FOX, SCIFI,TNT, USA,ESPN,FSN's. The majority of prime time shows must be available in Avatar quality 3D. It also needs to reach the position that HD is now. Free HD for life equals free 3D for life.
When are ever going to get a clue about how much money it would cost SOMEONE ELSE to give you what you want for free???

Last edited:
It will be free but dont expect it to be mainstream soon. If the cost to produce 3d were the same as to produce HD then I could see an argument for it being free.

Honestly, if I didnt get headaches from watching 3d I would be all over it.

When are ever going to get a clue about how much money it would cost SOMEONE ELSE to give you what you want for free???

It's called advertising. See, if someone wants you to buy their product they pay a TV network to advertise their said product in the hope that we will buy it. It's worked just fine for a long time. I just watched Harry's Law for free over my antenna, then I'll watch House and NCIS, all for free. Free enterprise.

It's called advertising. See, if someone wants you to buy their product they pay a TV network to advertise their said product in the hope that we will buy it. It's worked just fine for a long time. I just watched Harry's Law for free over my antenna, then I'll watch House and NCIS, all for free. Free enterprise.
You totally missed my point.

It also needs to reach the position that HD is now. Free HD for life equals free 3D for life.

You hit upon something but maybe not how you thought. I'll use Dish as the example. Very unlikely Dish is actually paying more for HD and not passing at least some of that cost on. They moved the cost probably among other charges. Package costs, fees maybe even part of the whole house fee, etc... Since they don't have an SD equivalent of the regular packages, those that don't have HD are helping to pay for HD. 3D costs more to produce and will cost providers more to carry, so you know we will indeed pay for 3D. I'm not aware of any of the four big networks planning on regular 3D broadcasting of even one program at this time. Their viewership has been slipping to other cable channels so I have to think if they thought the cost of presenting 3D was worth it they would do it. What better way to have people tune it? All those people I keep hearing that now have 3D sets aren't demanding their programs to be in 3D? Nope. As has been talked about in many articles, a good portion of the 3D sets sold are 3D not because people want 3D, it's more that it comes with the better/best TVs now. Even HD is not as wide spread as some think, while certainly a success there is still a decent percentage of households that don't have HD. As of June last year 10 months ago 33% of homes had no HD. You can increase that percentage if you include those with an HD TV but with no HD programming, or only OTA HD both because neither costs more.
Nielsen: Two Thirds of All TV Homes Now Have an HD Set [Text View] - AVS Forum

I think it's wise for Dish to wait before doing anything that would cost much money to implement when it comes to 3D. When or if 3D does become mainstream certainly I will want some programming in 3D if I find it adds to the enjoyment. HD did just that for almost every TV program. 3D just doesn't seem at this time to have that kind of impact to where I just have to have it. Dish should keep improving equipment, add more HD channels, maybe improve RSN coverage, etc.. etc... first. Oh, and perhaps not raise prices to cover 3D costs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)