3D in 2012 -- May send me to DirecTv

The content providers are doing their part. In fact, I'd say they are doing it better than the HW providers. The studios have been cranking out a respectable number of titles in 3D. And, sports providers have been doing their part - ESPN and NBC Universal. It's the HW providers with their proprietary and incompatible active 3D technologies requiring expensive and incompatible glasses vs a passive standard that would mean inexpensive glasses that could be used with any display.

And, speaking of glasses, even if they all adopted a passive standard across brands, just the very fact of requiring glasses will keep many people away. The key to mass adoption will be "glassless" 3D. But, until then, they should have worked out an industry standard. For such smart people, they are f-ing idiots.
It is precisely because of the lack of standards and constant shift in technologies that I have refrained from making huge HD/3D TV purchases over the years, aside from the basic HD TVs I purchased back in 2007. When this entire fiasco settles down to a more standard offering and delivery system, then I'll make more of a commitment. It's along the same lines of waiting for the HD-DVD/Bluray situation to play itself out, which I'm glad I did.

For the most part if you want a new TV and want above average PQ you're going to end up with a 3D TV. For example, Panasonic makes 4 separate lines UT/ST/GT/VT in the 50" to 65" range. They are all 3D models. Same thing with Sony, LG,Sharp, and Samsung. LG uses Passive technology and the others all use Active technology. Professional reviewers prefer Active technology but they are not so hot on Panasonis 3D (cross talk). Who knows where 3D will end up but that's pretty much where it's at today.

There is no "lack of standards" where it counts. Any 3D Blu-Ray disc will play on any 3D Blu-Ray player connected to any manufacturer's proprietary display technology. Glasses and TV from the same company is not that big a deal.

There is no "lack of standards" where it counts. Any 3D Blu-Ray disc will play on any 3D Blu-Ray player connected to any manufacturer's proprietary display technology. Glasses and TV from the same company is not that big a deal.
For many consumers, it appears that "where it counts" are the glasses and TV.

i don't blame the studios or the hw companies. I blame the content carriers like cable and Satellite companies and the Netflix and Blockbusters who have way too limited3D offerings. If 3D was easily availabe in all our homes, It would have a much better chance of catching on. I bought a 42" Vizeo passive 3D smart tv for less money than most non 3D tvs.It uses the same 3D glasses as movie theaters. I have purchased a 3D Blu-Ray player and have purchased some 3D discs. I also joined a neighborhood 3D exchange group. Most of my other neighbors say they would watch 3D if their tv provider had 3D stations.

Last edited:
I blame the content providers like cable and Satellite companies and the Netflix and Blockbusters who have way too limited3D offerings.
Cable, Satellite, IPTV, etc are not the content providers. They are carriers, just like Verizon and T-Mobile are carriers. The studios and TV networks are the content providers.

I finally watched my first 3D movie on my TV. While the movie wasn’t so good (The Immortals) the 3D effects were pretty good. Since I’m now set up to view 3D I’d like it if Dish were to add a 3D channel like Direct has.

I have the “everything” package so I would expect any 3D channel(s) to be included in the price but would consider paying a bit more if it was required because I know the “everything” package isn’t.

It seems according to a lot of posts, Dish isn’t inclined to add a 3D channel anytime soon.

The never-ending battle for more content in a format that has of yet failed to prove its worth is amusing. Kind of like the person who just bought an 8-track player on clearance just as the manufactures rollout cassette tape.

If you read the trades, you see that a number of studios, directors and producers are still on the fence about 3D. Some have announced that new projects are not going to be shot in 3D, but may be converted digitally later on. A system we all know is reported as being lackluster at best.

The simple fact there is very small demand for 3D content. My local movie theater closed down the 3D version of “The Avengers” after a couple of weeks, however, the 2D version is still running strongly with 4 showings per weekday and 5 on Friday and Saturdays.

I think for the most viewers it feels like a gimmick to extort more money from out pockets. Couple that with the higher price, the 60-year-old technology of glasses and that 3D really does not add anything to a well written story, 70%+ of the consumers really do not see the need.

Of course, those who are infected with the “I need to have the latest and greatest technology” bug are going to feel differently and would like to see the format expand and prosper. I personally gave up on 3D in the early 70’s when I tossed a pair of 3D glasses out of a car window and left the drive in theater where they were showing a 10 plus year old horror movie and I have not looked back!

Until, there is a Star Trek like hologram where a fine looking replicate of Heather Graham is sitting on my lap, feeding me grapes, I am OUT!

Has anyone watched sports in 3d?? I hear it's amazing to watch it in 3d. I've got an LCD tv that I may sell someday to get a led HDTV but what is better about buying a 3d tv vs a non 3d??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts