3D in 2012 -- May send me to DirecTv

Whoa guys! Let's keep the pron talk outta here;)

OK, so what am I missing? I keep seeing posts that say the 722k does 3D. Well I have one together with my 3D TV and I cannot find any 3D VODs. Are they so infrequent that I just keep missing them? Another post mentioned that DISH generally runs two different 3D movies on VOD all the time. I sure can't find them. Is there some setting I need to enable on the 722k. Please help!

I should say that I would probably never pay for one of these movies. Like so many others, I'd be more in favor of linear 3D channels, even if they cost a few bucks a month. I just don't know why I can't even see the 3D VODs that are supposedly available on the 722k.

Thanks

I am seeing 2 3D VODs,Puss in Boots 3D and Adventures of TinTin 3D,on my 922. If you have a Favorites List try selecting My Channels or All Channels when your in your guide.

It might seem if no one selects these VOD offerings then DISH may think that there is no need for them to offer anything in 3D.

Always remember 3D HDTVs are more expensive,so are 3D Bluray players and 3D Bluray DVDs and 3D programming.

I have seen plenty of posts where people (like you) have seen 3D offerings on their 922s. My question is has anyone with a 722/722k seen any 3D - ever? I still have not. Dish's web site says the 722/722k supports 3D. Does it?

Gradually going away looks like.

DIRECTV is pulling the plug on 3D. Or so it seems. Reports say the satcaster has downgraded, so to speak, its in-house channel n3D from a 24-hour 3D outlet to just part-time. The company will still air NBCU's 3D coverage of the Olympics this summer, but what happens after that remains to be seen.

DIRECTV is pulling the plug on 3D. Or so it seems. Reports say the satcaster has downgraded, so to speak, its in-house channel n3D from a 24-hour 3D outlet to just part-time. The company will still air NBCU's 3D coverage of the Olympics this summer, but what happens after that remains to be seen.

Who saw this coming?

3D channels may be back on it's way to novelty status or possibly niche status for sporting events despite the number of sets being sold with 3D capability.

That's old news from 3 weeks ago or so.
They still have the FULL-TIME 3Net, the part-time ESPN3D, and a 3D-only PPV channel. Even with such drastic plug-pulling, they still have a shipload more 3D than Dish.

Who saw this coming?

3D channels may be back on it's way to novelty status or possibly niche status for sporting events despite the number of sets being sold with 3D capability.
Of course 3D is a novelty. Only the most extreme 3D fanboy would ever consider donning those glasses full-time, and watching only 3D programming.

For the rest of us folks that simply enjoy it for what it is, we are pretty happy with a few channels of it. Or, we would be happy if Dish actually had a few channels, or even just more 3D than just 2 high-priced VOD's per month.

That's old news from 3 weeks ago or so.
They still have the FULL-TIME 3Net, the part-time ESPN3D, and a 3D-only PPV channel. Even with such drastic plug-pulling, they still have a shipload more 3D than Dish.

Maybe so but it just came to me in the Bridge morning news letter. Also if it's 3 weeks old how come we didn't find out about it here on the Dish side in this thread. I did notice that the D* side reported it but didn't look at the date.

Who saw this coming?

I've said all along that 3-d is nothing more than a novelty or niche service. It showed up in the 50s and returned in the 80s and now in the teens it has resurfaced and now is moving back out. Each time it is supposed to be revolutionary , and each time it craps out , and come back every 30 years. Now if you bring out full hologram tv, I might be interested.

I read this morning that Disney was disappointed with "Brave"s 3D opening weekend box office...34%, fueling industry concerns about "families" not willing to spend the extra bucks.

They have 3D VOD content available now on the 722k and 922.

Of course the Hopper will fully support 3D as well. :)
I have a 722k and cannot find a single On Demand/PPV/Dish Cinema movie in 3D even though their website advertises a current lineup of four 3D movies available to rent and to look for the "3D icon". I have no idea where to look for this icon because I've never seen it.

I read this morning that Disney was disappointed with "Brave"s 3D opening weekend box office...34%, fueling industry concerns about "families" not willing to spend the extra bucks.
The concern needs to be that families cannot afford the price of the movies. I see where some are paying upwards of $18 a seat to watch a movie.

Even worse are the Disney traveling shows that want over $150 per child for a seat.

Of course Disney isn't giving any thought to the idea that maybe Brave isn't all that. I'm guessing they've forgotten about John Carter by decree.

Pixar's first film with a female lead No. 1 at the box office ($66.3 million for its opening weekend)

Merida's hair in 'Brave' is an animation sensation

Not too shabby imho...

I would concede the poor economy is hurting 3D to an extent. But I can't get past that 3D is great for some special effects,and short material, but adds little, nothing, or worse hinders the enjoyment of TV/Movies. The best 3D picture is not as good as the best 2D picture if you are at all picky. Passive glasses are fine, shutter are not for long viewing. HD added by leaps and bounds to the overall quality of watching TV/Movies at home. 3D just does not.
There are a handful of movies that do make excellent use of 3D, Avatar of course is one and animation lends itself to it I would say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts