3D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

msrebel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Just got a 3d tv and was needing to know if my hr20 receiver will work with 3d?

Sorry, the HR20 will not work, they should upgrade you to a 3D capable box (should be a code when you try to access the 3D channels in the guide).

Confirming this as a tech. You need hr21 or higher. Should be a free replacement just call and say you got an 3d tv and need a new box.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Confirming this as a tech. You need hr21 or higher. Should be a free replacement just call and say you got an 3d tv and need a new box.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I suppose this puts him into a New 2 yr commitment ?

Just because he gets a new TV doesn't mean he should get stuck with a new commitment.

Just because he gets a new TV doesn't mean he should get stuck with a new commitment.

Back when I had the HR-20, and got a new 3D tv, I called and explained. They simply did a swap with no new commitment.

They swapped out all my dvr's when I got a 3D TV

Yeap, just call and they will send you a new receiver that is 3D capable, I don't recall having to go into a new commitment.

No it shouldn't as the current box is not compatible with the existing programming anylonger (3d) Just be aware that the newer dvrs do not have OTA tuners. Not sure if you are utilizing this or not, but you would need an am21 to continue if you are.

I have moved if you know what I mean, would they want to come out and install it or would they send it to me and let me install it?

they should be ok with mailing it, however they will mail it to where you "moved" to, so make sure your "home". Enough said.

If all else fails, call in and say its defective, and you want a replacement shipped to you, if you dont have the protection plan there is a 19.99+tax shipping and handling charge, but you can argue that away. Also this will not extend your contract but make sure the csr notes the account with whats going on. "the box doesnt power on" is usually a good line to get a new one. If you have swm you can blow it up (not literally) by hooking the power inserter up backwards and sending voltage into the box, but Id just claim it doesnt work and have them send you a replacement. The chances of you getting a hr20 again are slim and none. The box hasnt been made in years and is not currently being installed.

Another option, but costly to you, is a customer owned box off ebay. Doing so you can replace your existing box yourself, and own the new one. This way if you ever deactivate you can reactivate without returning your equipment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Directv-HR2...US_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item1e7ac03c2a
250usd buy it now, rid number is listed call directv to verify

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Directv-OWN...US_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item3cd1a21ac1
150usd bid (as of current) pm seller to check rid.

Last edited:
Since you have "moved ", just make sure you have the unit shipped to your billing address instead (which I assume is your correct address).

I did this several times in the past with no issues. You just have to be VERY clear on where you want it shipped.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I had to have a card replaced in one of my receivers a couple of months ago and tried to get them to ship it to my work address and they said they could not do that said they had to ship to the service address now. I tried to talk them into it but they would not do it.

Since you have "moved ", just make sure you have the unit shipped to your billing address instead (which I assume is your correct address).

I did this several times in the past with no issues. You just have to be VERY clear on where you want it shipped.

I have had and have seen terrible experiences with having this done. I legitly "moved" one time. to a main street where i didnt want a fedex or ups box sitting on my front porch when no one was home, and had my billing sent to my mothers house which is like 5min away. Where do the boxes get shipped for a defective replacement.... my actual house (service address) did they get stolen? yup.... I called in said i never received anything, they said it was delivered, and i said well if it was id be asking you to activate it not bitching that i dont have a box.... had another one shipped to my "billing" address. I drive by my house on my lunch break... theres the box sitting on the porch like 3days later. I highly doubt directv will ship anything to any address other than your service address. And I had an actual reason and proved the case. (Even found my missing box a a yard sale two blocks down the road a month later)

If your worried you can't be "home" I would recommend getting an owned box of ebay, or ordering a leased one from a retailer. However this will cost you money, depending on where you "live" thats free.

I'm sure with as many customers as they have that different experiences will abound, all I can give are my own.

I had three boxes swapped out at three separate times.

Each time I took special care to make sure that they understood to ship it to my billing address, instead of my service/moved address. I never failed to get a box. Or the return box to send something back in.

Of course as another poster mentioned, those policies may have changed.

If course one can always "move" home one day, and make the call the next. No issue then.

I'm sure with as many customers as they have that different experiences will abound, all I can give are my own.

I had three boxes swapped out at three separate times.

Each time I took special care to make sure that they understood to ship it to my billing address, instead of my service/moved address. I never failed to get a box. Or the return box to send something back in.

Of course as another poster mentioned, those policies may have changed.

It's pretty much a hit and miss when sending the return boxes out ...
I've had times where they said they sent them to my correct address, but never showed up here, then I've had them sent to my Service address, even though I told them the Billing addresas,and other times where they sent them to the correct location right away.

I've had boxes that were never sent out 3-4 weeks later I call and inquired.

It just depends, then theres always the computer involved as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.