3ft WNC metal vs 4ft ChannelMaster plastic

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trinidex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
Is it possible that a new 3ft metal offset can perform better (on Ku) than an old (5 years) 4ft plastic offset?

The reason I ask... I'm locking a weak sat (for me) with the 3ft, but it is marginal - 25% Q (DVB).

I have a 4ft plastic dish that I *could* use, but it's currently plumbed in and in the wrong location, meaning I'd have to relocate it - not a huge bind, but it would help if I knew it would be worth it.

I guess what I'm really asking is, has anyone experienced a 3ft offset perform better than a 4ft - same sat, LNBf and rcvr.

TIA

In theory, the 4 foot will out perform a 3 foot. The Channel Master is certainly much older than 5 years as they have been out of the dish business for 8(?) years, but the composite dish typically has a longer life expectancy for surface accuracy over a metal stamped reflector.

If you are looking for performance gains, consider using the feed horn with a correct and optimized scaler for either dish. A generic, off the shelf LNBF will not have the performance of the stock feedhorn/scaler when coupled to a decent LNB.

In theory, the 4 foot will out perform a 3 foot. The Channel Master is certainly much older than 5 years as they have been out of the dish business for 8(?) years, but the composite dish typically has a longer life expectancy for surface accuracy over a metal stamped reflector.
Thanks for this. I'm sure you're right about the age, I've had it for 5 years, but it wasn't new when I got it - apparently, it couldn't have been!

I'll give it a shot.

Cheers!

I hooked up the 4th CM and got better results.

On the PQ scale I gained more than 10% which makes the sat more stable.

Time to find a pole!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts