3LNB Signal Strength

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sheridan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Okay guys, I just put up my Triple LNB dish. When aligning the dish on 101, Transponder 16, I got a signal strength of 93. However, I then went to peak 119, Transponer 22. It started at 43, I got it to 65. Looking back at 101, it came down to 68.

I know I want the numbers to be as high as possible and I was delighted to get 93 initially.

But is that typical to have to compromise on the numbers? What is your experience and recommendation?

BTW, I am in Houston.

Last edited:
No compromise. What receiver make & model? What is your zip code and the co-ordinates you are using.

AZ:

EL:

SK:

It's an older Sony B55. It does have the Triple LNB dish in the antenna menu.

I was upgrading my system in anticipation of D* shipping me a DVR.

AZ:204
EL:51
SK:66

Call Directv and get upgraded to the AT9 dish. You say you are waiting for a DVR I am guessing at a HR10-250 for HD seeing you are putting up a phase 3 which is no longer acceptable for directv HD installations.

I don't WANT an AT9, I don't NEED an AT9. That was NOT my question.

The ONLY thing an AT9 will do for me right now, is give me my HD Locals, which I can get OTA. I do not even have an HDTV right now, so it is pointless.

Not to mention the fact that going that route with the HD-DVR will cost me $500! An expense I can't justify right now.

boba was just trying to help you, no need for this kind of attitude. Your reception is very poor and you should get all the satellites above 80.

boba said:
Call Directv and get upgraded to the AT9 dish. You say you are waiting for a DVR I am guessing at a HR10-250 for HD seeing you are putting up a phase 3 which is no longer acceptable for directv HD installations.

Why is the phase 3 no longer acceptable? He said he had a old sony receiver and he was getting a DVR in which he will need a multiswitch. He more than likely got the dish cheap somewere and is using the built in switch.

Besides a H10-250 is not MPEG4 so he could use a phase 3 dish for HD.

slimoli said:
boba was just trying to help you, no need for this kind of attitude. Your reception is very poor and you should get all the satellites above 80.

All right, so I was a little harsh. Sorry. I asked a question and he didn't answer it.

Above 80. Is that any specific transponder, because it varies from one to another. On 101, most of the transponders are between 50 and 70, with #28 at 85. 119 and 101 are in the 60s.

Last edited:
On a related topic, what, if anything, do I do with channels 492, 493 and 494? All test channels.

Okay, apparently the fact that the banners are displayed is what is significant. And I have banners on 490 - 494.

Last edited:
Do you have the banners at the top or test messages at the bottom of the screen? The former is not good, the latter is good.

Newshawk said:
Do you have the banners at the top or test messages at the bottom of the screen? The former is not good, the latter is good.

All five display the message at the bottom. So I guess I'm okay except for the signal strength concern.

Thanks for the response.

slimoli said:

That was help?

If your coordinates are correct for your zipcode On 101 use transponders 1or2
on 119 use transponder 22 on 110 use transponder 8 or 12

sheikdog said:
If your coordinates are correct for your zipcode On 101 use transponders 1or2
on 119 use transponder 22 on 110 use transponder 8 or 12

They must be correct, or at least very close. We have no problem watching the channels. Everything is there as it was before the dish upgrade.

On all birds and transponders you mentioned, the numbers are in the 60s. I would like them to be higher, but as I said before, I had the 101 sat at 93 until I brought the 119 munbers up from the 40s.

Well, this is very interesting.

The menu on the receiver told me
AZ:204
EL:51
SK:66

However, I went to Sadoun's site and looked at the numbers. Of course, I had to choose which satellite, but they're all different. The highest SK is on 119 at 35!

SO, do I use these, which one? The numbers for 101, 119 or 110. If not, can anyone else pull my numbers for me? I am in Zip Code 77014.

What I am seeing indicates the SK is way off. But I don't want to mess with it again until I know for sure.

Thanks.

No one? All I need is for someone to verify the coordinates for a triple lnb dish in zip code 77014.

I have

EL: 51.7
AZ: 202.6
SK: 66.7

Mount/mast must be 110% plumb and level, no if ands or buts about it. If it isn't, the below is somewhat useless unless you have installed before. The below can sound funny in verbiage, because this has become such a hand to eye habit thing after I had done a few or more, so bare with me.

Set the skew and elevation and leave them alone.

Tune the receiver to the preview channel and then go to the signal strength menu. DO NOT futz with the transponder up/down or anything else. Just use the meter and what ever the defaulted transponder is.

The azimuth is the adjustable here. With a heading compass get a good eyeballed starting point just off to the right of that 202 heading and mark the mast & brace with a pencil so that they line up and you can return if needed to your original starting point.

If the signal is not strong 88 or more; continue.

Ease the dish ever so slightly in the left direction (like you were looking outward like the dish), and allow a few seconds for the signal to catch up. Repeat as needed. If you never peak over 90+ then go back the other way noting if/when you pass your original marked starting point. Should take about 10 - 15 minutes.

Once you are dialed in mark that also with a marker. Slowly & gently tighten it down and note any signal changes; DON"T YANK or OVER DO IT.

When its good walk away and come back to let us know how it went.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time, Charper. I will go back out tomorrow and try again.

I know I can get 101 numbers in the 90s but only if I don't go and peak 119 as per the instructions.

The way the dish is formulated (its curved surface area in relation to the LNB pack) if your mount is perfectly plumb & level and you have the correct coordinates, you really should be able to nail the aiming to 90 - 93 while the signal meter is reading SAT A or 101w and not for each satellite. If you move it for 119, you have moved it for 101 and 110 as well.

When you check the strength on 119 and 110 it may be somewhat lower as it not as strong to my recollection, but as long as it is 85 and up, you should be just right.

Are you saying your 101 is peaking at the 90's and you are really low, or zero on 119? What are your readings? You MIGHT actually have to bump the elevation just a touch if that is the case. Being in the Houston area I can't see this need however.

Last edited:
When I had 101 peaked in the 90s, 119 was in the 40s. When I peaked 119 (to the 60s), 101 dropped to the 60s. I wil be trying again today and let you know what happens.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.