3rd Voom issue: I think my STB is possessed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Ok, I recently upgraded to Va-Va-Voom to check it out, I must say that I love it. However when the service activated I had that stupid channel mapping error come back, at first I thought I was going to beat myself over the head with their dish, but the upstairs STB works perfectly.

At the moment I can't see StarzHD/StarzHDW StarzHD is Bravo, I've lost ESPN HD (NO!!!!) it's TMC (non HD). Everything else is fine.

Also Saturday a Voom tech came out and moved my OTA to the roof of my house, I checked the TV and couldn't get any channels, I climbed my roof and pointed the OTA SOUTH, and now I get all the OTA channels I should get on my upstairs TV, but not the downstairs, what the heck? If the TV upstairs gets the signal why not the other? It just always says "No Signal from channel X" on like 2 channels (that work upstairs). Also I have tuned into shows on NBC that say "HD" and when I tune to it it's in 4:3 and looks like everything else, am I missing something?

Last, when is that next patch coming?

Dvlos said:
At the moment I can't see StarzHD/StarzHDW StarzHD is Bravo, I've lost ESPN HD (NO!!!!) it's TMC (non HD). Everything else is fine.
This problem is usually caused by bad LNB, bad diplexer or improper wiring. Check this thread for details. The way I understand it, your STB sends a signal to the LNB to switch the polarity. Either that signal fails to reach the LNB (bad/incompatible diplexer or improper wiring), or the LNB fails to switch polarity (bad LNB).

Well the first time they came out changed both receivers, same problem, then they changed the LNB and were going to change the diplexer, but the LNB was the culprit. THis problem came back when I went to Va-Va-Voom and as I said, now the problem is only on ONE receiver.

The thing is that receiver is half new wiring during the install, and half the old copper that was running there since like 10 years ago. Could the old copper be an issue? The STB still says 90% signal strength.

Dvlos said:
Also I have tuned into shows on NBC that say "HD" and when I tune to it it's in 4:3 and looks like everything else, am I missing something?
If this was an isolated event, your local broadcaster must have forgotten to flip the switch from SD to HD. This happens from time to time :)

Dvlos said:
The thing is that receiver is half new wiring during the install, and half the old copper that was running there since like 10 years ago.
Not sure about old wires...
The LNB has two coax connectors. If I understand it correctly, each of your STBs should be connected to a separate LNB connector. Otherwise, they will not be able to switch polarity independently from each other.

You can do this test. Switch your TV upstairs to StarzHD (261) and do the same on the one downstairs and see what will be shown. Tell us what you see.

Well thanks for the link I read most of that, here's the problem I have with Voom installers..

I'll call Voom to complaing about rain fade and OTA reception... after reading and reading on here, I've suggested they do the following:

- Move my Sat dish to the very top of my roof, I have a concrete roof, there's an airport about 2.5-3 miles away, and I think this may cause some reception glitches even though the satellite says 90%. At times I'll be watching a movie in HD and I'll get blanked screens, stutters, blurs, etc... even on a perfectly clear sunny day, not a cloud in sight. My neighbors had their D* dishes repositioned for better reception.

- Run two lines to the two boxes not use a diplexor, to improve OTA reception.

- Run a solid clean cable from my downstairs TV to the Satellite, not really on old copper.

- Change my Dish size to improve my really bad rain fade issues.

Voom Customer Care usually says "Well that's not a problem, when the installer is there, if he finds it necessary we can do that for you." Most say they've had to do that for several people to improve their service. They'll even give me credits for not getting good service.

When the installer DOES get to my house, they don't want to do ANYTHING. Last guy moved my OTA up and didn't check it, he pointed the OTA north, and all the towers are South, I had to reposition it MYSELF. While he was there I showed him my Starz problem, he said that's a Voom issue, and that he can't fix it.

I told him about rain fade, I said call Voom and talk to them, he said he can't that they have to reprogramm it from their end, that it could be a new patch, or that they are changeing channels and just bolted the door. WTF don't they get paid for their time there? I'm getting tired of piss poor installers man that don't want to leave my house until it's all 100% kosher.. I'm going to start offering beer and hire a naked chick to sit on the Dish until it gets resolved next time.

On your Local channel issues, I have a problem were .1 should be HD and show's HD on the channel map and .2 is the SD version. However, when I tune to the channel the .2 is HD and the .1 is SD.

Ilya said:
Not sure about old wires...
You can do this test. Switch your TV upstairs to StarzHD (261) and do the same on the one downstairs and see what will be shown. Tell us what you see.

I will post back at 5pm EST when I get home and tell you... I don't know why 1 TV works fine 100% all channels work and the other it doesn't although one poster in that link you sent, said he nixed the diplexor and they ran two lines to get it to work another installed a different type of digital multi switch to get it to work.

Vreesar said:
On your Local channel issues, I have a problem were .1 should be HD and show's HD on the channel map and .2 is the SD version. However, when I tune to the channel the .2 is HD and the .1 is SD.

For NBC I only have .1 same as .CBS, it could be like Ilya said they forgot to switch it? I've seen HD on NBC before, I was just perplexed, usually when the guide says "HD" it's in nice 16x9 glorious goodness.

Dvlos said:
I will post back at 5pm EST when I get home and tell you... I don't know why 1 TV works fine 100% all channels work and the other it doesn't although one poster in that link you sent, said he nixed the diplexor and they ran two lines to get it to work another installed a different type of digital multi switch to get it to work.
When you switch both STBs to channel 261 at the same time, you are likely to get one of these two results:

1. Both TVs show StarzHD. (The TV set downstairs only shows StarzHD when the TV set upstairs is tuned to the same channel). This most likely indicates an improper wiring. Both STBs are connected to the same LNB connector and only one of your STBs (the one upstairs) controls the LNB polarity.

2. The TV set upstairs shows StarzHD, but the TV set downstairs shows Bravo HD+. This probably means that the two STBs are connect to two diferent connectors on the LNB (as they are supposed to), but your LNB is not working, or there is some problem with the second part of your wiring (TV downstairs) that prevents the polarity switching signal from reaching the LNB. Could be a wrong type of diplexer, that doesn't pass the voltage to the LNB.

(I assume, you do not have a multiswitch installed since you only have two STBs).

Vreesar said:

I have a simular problem with my local CBS where .1 is HD and .2 is SD (local Doplar radar) and they seem to swap around, but I've noticed if I'm coming from an HD channel, it will do the HD and if I'm coming from a SD channel it gets the SD... I don't have this problem with my built in ATSC tuner...

No multi-switch at all, you are correct, jeez man I would love to speak to someone like Ilya when I call Voom. Is there anyway in hell you can slap some people at Voom/Installs Inc have someone come to my house who lives and breathes Satellite signals and fine tunes my place?

Also the last time I called Voom to rain-fade complain ( I always call as soon as it rains and I lose signal its the only way to get my point across ) they said new dishes are in beta testing and aren't out yet...Is this just the biggest crock? I thought they they're like 24 or 28 inch dishes or something? She also said that I might have to pay for it... are you telling me in October when everyone's dish in increased in size it's going to be at a charge? Or are all the pictures of people's new bigger dishes on this site Photoshopped wonders?

Dvlos said:
The thing is that receiver is half new wiring during the install, and half the old copper that was running there since like 10 years ago. Could the old copper be an issue?
Actually, as I am thinking about it, your problem with channel 261 and others can indeed be caused by the old wiring!

To switch the polarity, your STB sends higher voltage (18 Volts). If your wiring is old or too long it might be causing excessive power loss. If the voltage that "reaches" the LNB is, say, 14-15 Volts instead of 18, this will not be enough to switch the polarity from "Right_Ve" (Bravo HD+) to "Left_Horiz" (StarzHD). This could very well be causing your problem!

Ok so I put the channels both on 261 and nothing, downstairs is still screwed...Voom is coming out on the4th week of July though to fix it.. eek. Later on im going to switch STBs to confirm its the wiring... also I want them to kill the diplexer, the snow i was talking about is not so much in the Voom Exclusives but OTA HD! I was really paying attention tonight and CSI Miami, the ABC comedy shoes had the worst cases of twinkly stars (also downstairs though)... I had a long talk with Voom, next installed has the instructions of not being able to leave until I'm completely satisfied.

Dvlos said:
Ok so I put the channels both on 261 and nothing, downstairs is still screwed...
This confirms that the two receivers are connected to different sides (different connectors) of the LNB. At least no splitters were used on the cable coming from the LNB, Good! :)
Still, we have several more suspects, including your old wires. Please check the link below for the list of other possible reasons for your problem:

Mixed-up channels: BravoHD+ instead of StarzHD on channel 261

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)