4:2:2 Feeds

arlo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
North Eastern
Alrightey. Here goes. OsMio4K doesn't play good with 4:2:2 feeds like ABC and the likes. I can open the webif in a browser and open them with VLC.
And cast my PC screen to my Android smart TV, Fire devices. And I'm guessing there's not a fork of VLC to stick on the Mio.
Any alternate ways to do this directly on the TV or Fire without all of the rigamarole? Does this make sense?
It would make life a lot easier if there was just a Linux version of a BDA driver.
I can help with the gears and wires and grease. Can anyone 'hook a brother up'?

Your streaming method sounds complicated! Why reinvent the stream server, it is already running and ready to cast to any networked device.

Many ways that I can get the service streamed for viewing on my TV:
  • Android TV Box running the DreamDroid app connected to the TV via HDMI
  • HTPC connected to the TV via HDMI and use WebIF/VLC
  • HTPC connected to the TV via HDMI running VLC tuned to the streaming address
  • Galaxy J7 smart phone running the DreamDroid app and casting to the Samsung smartTV
  • Android tablet running the DreamDroid app and either casting to the Samsung smartTV or via HDMI breakout
  • Samsung Smart TV OTT app tuned to the service streaming address
Example- Place the service streaming address in the media path of your player:

Last edited:
Thanks Bri. Will take a bit of looking into.
HDMI pc connection won't fly.
I figured there may be a VLC server plugin for Linux receivers where my media source would show up in VLC players on my LAN.
It's a Sony 4K, so I'm thinking a Sammy app on it is a wash.
It looks like casting or HDMI is the only solution for now.
Kind of nutso that Media Portal with an HDHomerun on LAN of the HDHomerun apps 'just work'.
And the Linux guys don't quite got it just yet.

Trial 1. DreamDroid working on a FireTV Cube. Regular FTA comes in OK. ABC on 99W tries to play for a few seconds then freezes.
Switch to next ABC channel....same. Opens and plays on on pc>webif>VLC just fine. Off to Google-Land I 'spose.

I use an old windoze 7 laptop with Kodi. Plays on the TV just fine through the HDMI out on the laptop to the TV.

Right I already have done the pc and HDMI thing.
Those feeds play just fine that way.
Kind of kills remote control unless I have another laptop and remote into it.
I'm a little foggy using VLC alone to grab channels from the Mio. Webif and choosing a channel from by bouquets moves the dish and VLC opens and plays. No problem.
Casting works well.

Have you considered one of these? I have 2 and love them.
Actually I have a 3 device one almost like that because my main laptop keyboard started crapping out and this covid thing slowed down getting one from chinavirus town for over a month. Plus it works on my Android and (I think) Roku like a peach.
Sure beats those remote up/down/right/left thumb exercises all to hell.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)