4 Tuner OTA Adapter?

reubenray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 30, 2018
Bella Vista, Arkansas
I have been using my OTA antenna for months now since Tegna pulled their stations. This one channel is the weakest, but 99% of the time it is OK. I would love to cancel my "local channels" part of Dish. But at times I need to record more than two channels. I know this has been asked over and over, but has there been any updates. Also can I use two of the OTA adapters?

Reactions: LQQK
Also can I use two of the OTA adapters?
Supposedly not, but I think Dish should do the software to make that happen, or else put out a 4-tuner adapter, so they can do PTAT OTA.
This one channel is the weakest, but 99% of the time it is OK.
A better antenna should fix that.

When I first bought the then new two tuner OTA adapters to replace my two single tuner adapters on my Hopper 2's, I tried connecting two adapters to one H2 with no success, only one worked. As said, the software does not support two adapters. Whether the software can be modded to support it is an unknown.

I use the DISH Network /Air tv Anywhere 4 tuner ota dvr with hard drive built in. Anyone can use this with a Sling Tv account, whether they have sling programming or not. You just need to establish a Sling account in order to use it. I ordered my Air tv Anywhere device from Amazon. It has complete ota guide information for all your local channels and sub channels too. Been using mine since last June. I refer to my Air tv as my ota primetime /anytime device.

Get you a TiVo Bolt OTA or Roamio OTA with all-in service and with 4 tuners. The tuners are exponentially better than the TiVo Edge's two tuners and the Dish USB OTA tuner.

Reactions: edisonprime
Get you a TiVo Bolt OTA or Roamio OTA with all-in service and with 4 tuners. The tuners are exponentially better than the TiVo Edge's two tuners and the Dish USB OTA tuner.
There's also a TiVo Edge for Antenna that's 4 tuners but you can't buy it new anymore and you'll most likely find it on Weaknees.

These would be a good options if I ever decided to can Dish completely and stream. But they would be counter-productive to get just to save $12 a month.

Maybe I need to dig out my old outdated HTPC. When I first built it the main reason was to record local channels. This was about 17 years ago. I have rebuilt it several times since then.

Reactions: charlesrshell
There's also a TiVo Edge for Antenna that's 4 tuners but you can't buy it new anymore and you'll most likely find it on Weaknees.
I just received an email from Tivo a few days ago. They were selling the Edge OTA four tuner for $200 and Lifetime All-in Service for $100. I think the sale has ended but here is a link TiVo EDGE for Antenna | Antenna DVR and Streaming | OTA Recording

On edit: I see that is just the two tuner. The sale was for the four tuner.

I personally prefer the Roamio with the stronger tuner and 3.5" hard drive. I paid $75 for a Premiere and $150 for a Roamio, both in great condition and with lifetime service.

I just received an email from Tivo a few days ago. They were selling the Edge OTA four tuner for $200 and Lifetime All-in Service for $100. I think the sale has ended but here is a link TiVo EDGE for Antenna | Antenna DVR and Streaming | OTA Recording

On edit: I see that is just the two tuner. The sale was for the four tuner.

I personally prefer the Roamio with the stronger tuner and 3.5" hard drive. I paid $75 for a Premiere and $150 for a Roamio, both in great condition and with lifetime service.
I wonder if it was a refurbished model? They haven't made new TiVo Edge For Antennas with four tuners for a couple years, but it makes no sense as to why.

I have been using my OTA antenna for months now since Tegna pulled their stations. This one channel is the weakest, but 99% of the time it is OK. I would love to cancel my "local channels" part of Dish. But at times I need to record more than two channels. I know this has been asked over and over, but has there been any updates. Also can I use two of the OTA adapters?

Get an hdhomerun 4k or flex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cypresstree
I also have a 4 ota tuner TABLO dvr. It works connected to your home internet and you can see it on the Tablo app and on your phone or I pad out side of the home. It works well and you can pay the $20.00 a year to get commercial skip on any recordings. The latest quad tuner dvr has built in wifi and even one with direct hdmi to your tv ,but it is only for that tv. This ota dvr works very similar to satellite interface. The timers are very simple: new airings or new and old airings. You can even select the show and just hit record for a one time timer. I have had the Tablo since 2018 and it works reliably well. The guide information is very current for 2 weeks out for all channels and sub channels and I have notice no missed timers compared to the Tv Anyhwere 4 ota tuner dvr from Dishnetwork. Also the Tablo will allow surround sound pass through and record in dolby digital surround sound. Unlike the digital pcm you get with the Air tv anywhere device. I find myself using the Air tv anywhere device for news shows and day time soap more and the TABLO for my prime time shows I watch. Although I have both set to fire on both devices for back up. I paid for the lifetime membership when I bought my TABLO so new monthly fee. The interesting part of setting timers is you can select from the guide or by channel then show and set up recordings. They even have under Tv shows premiering for the next 2 weeks so you don't miss anything you want to record. The key is having a good antenna , peak it for best signal ,so your recordings will go off without a hitch. IF you have a weak channel it might not record all of the show and you might get no commercial skip if it fails due to low power channel. This is also similar to DISH receivers with weak channels.

I also have a 4 ota tuner TABLO dvr. It works connected to your home internet and you can see it on the Tablo app and on your phone or I pad out side of the home. It works well and you can pay the $20.00 a year to get commercial skip on any recordings. The latest quad tuner dvr has built in wifi and even one with direct hdmi to your tv ,but it is only for that tv. This ota dvr works very similar to satellite interface. The timers are very simple: new airings or new and old airings. You can even select the show and just hit record for a one time timer. I have had the Tablo since 2018 and it works reliably well. The guide information is very current for 2 weeks out for all channels and sub channels and I have notice no missed timers compared to the Tv Anyhwere 4 ota tuner dvr from Dishnetwork. Also the Tablo will allow surround sound pass through and record in dolby digital surround sound. Unlike the digital pcm you get with the Air tv anywhere device. I find myself using the Air tv anywhere device for news shows and day time soap more and the TABLO for my prime time shows I watch. Although I have both set to fire on both devices for back up. I paid for the lifetime membership when I bought my TABLO so new monthly fee. The interesting part of setting timers is you can select from the guide or by channel then show and set up recordings. They even have under Tv shows premiering for the next 2 weeks so you don't miss anything you want to record. The key is having a good antenna , peak it for best signal ,so your recordings will go off without a hitch. IF you have a weak channel it might not record all of the show and you might get no commercial skip if it fails due to low power channel. This is also similar to DISH receivers with weak channels.
I'm wondering if any of these would work with my A/V receiver for TV and Projector??

Yes, already have that. Was looking for Atsc3 device thank you for fast response
They also just came out with a quad dvr that has ATSC 3.0 tuner and hdmi connection . It also does 4k HDR and Dolby atmos sound. You can pre order one now and it supposed to ship in the spring.

I use the DISH Network /Air tv Anywhere 4 tuner ota dvr with hard drive built in. Anyone can use this with a Sling Tv account, whether they have sling programming or not. You just need to establish a Sling account in order to use it. I ordered my Air tv Anywhere device from Amazon. It has complete ota guide information for all your local channels and sub channels too. Been using mine since last June. I refer to my Air tv as my ota primetime /anytime device.
I am looking at doing this and may have other questions later.

I have a Hopper3 which I would would plug the 4 tuner Air TV into for ota and access through the Dish guide like when locals are through Dish. I also use Dish Anywhere. Does that count as having a sling account or is there something else that has to be done?

Reactions: TheKrell
I am looking at doing this and may have other questions later.

I have a Hopper3 which I would would plug the 4 tuner Air TV into for ota and access through the Dish guide like when locals are through Dish. I also use Dish Anywhere. Does that count as having a sling account or is there something else that has to be done?
NO you have to have a separate Sling tv account so you can see the guide and the channels . You don't have to subscribe to Sling tv for the programming to have a Sling tv account. Just sign up and register. Dishnetwork owns both DISH and Sling tv ,but they don't work together like you are asking. You can look at the Air tv website and the Tablo website and you can see how the different ota dvrs work. I use both Tablo and Air tv anywhere dvrs. I also have the amazon Fire tv in my home and I can watch both of them anywhere in my house or away from my house on my phone or tablet. But you could still use the amazon fire stick to do the same thing plugged into another hdmi port on your tv or a/v receiver.

www.airtv.net
www.tablotv.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Latest posts