4 Year E*, soon V*

nicholassjenkins

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Dayton, OH
Basically, my feelings about E* service and product(s) matches the same comments as the "8 years E*, moving to D*" thread from a day or two ago, except that I really want HD, and want to give V* a try. However, if it fails to deliver the goods, or the business finally goes insolvent, or is bought out...then I will move on to D*.

At any rate, I'm finding it hard to imagine what compelling argument E* could make to get me to return, so I see this as permanent.

You may wonder why I would start a new thread, when this *is* covered by the other D* thread -- I just want E* to see each individual subscriber leaving, and maybe they'll get the message.

Great Switch technology paired with poor receiver technology.
Not enough HD content.
921 screwing, future MPEG4 screwing
Channel disablement due to negotiating practices (some people see this as a plus...I don't - all personal preference.)

At V*, I will have $100+/mo worth of service that could have been for E*...and I've been considering this for ~6 months-1 year, so I really don't lack loyalty. But, enough is enough.

By E*, Hello V*.

I'm giving serious consideration to making the same move. I have had D* but their customer service really sucked so I switched to E*. Now it's obvious that E* doesn't care about HD so I find myself looking again. I figure D* already had a chance and blew it so I'm thinking Voom will get my money next.

Mario

nicholassjenkins said:

You may wonder why I would start a new thread, when this *is* covered by the other D* thread -- I just want E* to see each individual subscriber leaving, and maybe they'll get the message....

At V*, I will have $100+/mo worth of service that could have been for E*...and I've been considering this for ~6 months-1 year, so I really don't lack loyalty. But, enough is enough.

By E*, Hello V*.
Vote with your feet. That's a message that will be heard, wether Dish reads this forum or not. I applaud your principles. :clap

I agree that if you are not happy with a service you should leave. HOWEVER, the problem is that VOOM is having financial problems and likely will not be around six months from now. Hopefully, someone will buy it in tact and keep the service running while they switch it over to their service, BUT there is the possibility that VOOM will be shut down completely and its resources sold off. That could leave VOOM customers without any service at all. Something to think about.

Personally, what I would do if I were considering HD (and I'm not because the programming, even VOOM's, is underwhelming) is wait about three months and see what happens.

DishSatUser said:
Who know's, if the rumors are correct, you may still be moving to EV* (Echostar Voom merger).

That would be ironic, wouldn't it? ;)

I've been thinking about a Dish to Voom switch as well, but *this* is what gives me pause, not Voom's impending insolvency!

All I can say is that I had Voom for 6 months. I wasn't displeased with the service. But I found that what you want to watch, is what it is. And just because they have 40 channels of HD, doesn't mean that I want to watch any of it. The ONLY channel that it was hard to part ways with was Rave, because they did have some really good concerts. Ultimately, the kicker was that they don't carry any regional sports networks, which became important to me when basketball season started.

What I found most was that the HD programming that I enjoyed most was on OTA channels and ESPN HD. Voom was great at the beginning. It really was nice to really have your HD set shine. But programming is what you watch, not resolution.

I don't know whether Voom will be around in 6 months or so. Maybe they can hang in there. But from what I can see, they just aren't adding subscribers. Customer service is terrible. Nobody can give you a concrete answer because no one seems to know anything. I also had billing problems.

I switched to E* about a month ago and am pretty pleased. I have 2 boxes for what I was paying for 1 with Voom. I do loathe the BSOD (It only happens when I'm watching with my wife!).

Basically, cool your heels a little before you switch and see what happens in the next month or two. I think that if something is going to happen (they go out of business or get aquired), it is going to happen in the next 2 months. They would'nt have cancelled the spinoff from Cablevision if they weren't going to do something. Voom has been a major drag on the share price and investors have been up in arms. They wouldn't have cancelled the spinoff if they did not have plans for some type of change (merger, folding).

i have been trying to talk myself into leaving dish as well. with the money invested i keep talking myself out of it. the good news is - when my commitment with dish is up, is right when direct is suppose to be launching local hd and i am in one of the cities scheduled for the first release. i am hoping the have some type of new promotion (companies usually take better care of first time customers) and then it will be a no brainer.

with both companies needing new hd recievers, it is almost a no brainer to go with direct over dish if you need to do an upgrade. who knows, maybe dish will have working as described receivers when released, but i would rather take my chances with direct with new equipment.

I'm thinking of going to voom as well. I don't care what people say about their financial problems, the company is working now and there is no upfront costs to me so I don't have a problem. The only thing with me is that I'm hooked on HDNet so I couldn't live with voom alone. So I'd either have to find a way to get an owned 811 since mine is just leased, or add cable to voom which will end up costing $20 more to ditch dish and make it voom + cable.

BFG said:
I'm thinking of going to voom as well. I don't care what people say about their financial problems, the company is working now and there is no upfront costs to me so I don't have a problem.
Same here. I'm waiting to see what March brings for Voom. Have $100+ programming with Dish now. Also have Comcast for the HD DVR and locals. I would love to be able to get all from one provider. Comcast would give me that, but it'd be a more expensive solution for me. BTW, is Dish the only provider using UHF remotes? That's another reason I'm sticking with Dish for now. I need UHF for a couple of my boxes.

Dish

I am pretty happy with Dish, bit I do wish they would add more HD programming. I cancelled my HD package last month (1 year commitment ended) but will start it again if they add a couple more decent channels.
I have 2 811's and it is TOO EXPENSIVE to switch to Voom or Directv. I own 1 811, and I lease one for $5.00 per month.

Add me to the list. If they deliver the announced new channels in March I will even eat the E* early termination fee. However, I agree with previous poster, content matters more than resolution!

Yeah I agree that there's hardly anything on the 21 channels that I'd watch But I still think it would be fun to try it out and have my options open. It would also be fun to be on the dark side :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)