411 EHD???

chikagobnd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
lynchburg, va
Has anyone been able to activate an EHD on a VIP 411 yet? I know as of a few weeks ago, E* still wasn't ready to activate them. Just looking to see if anyone has had success with the 411 yet. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Tried last week, still no go as per CSR. Still not an option on the CSR's screen to enable the 411.

not sure what a 411 is, but if you mean a 211 then the answer is yes, there is a post about it

A 411 is basically a 211, but has no ethernet port. I have a 211 in my living room and a 411 in my bedroom. My 211 is already hooked up, but people with 411's haven't been able to activate their EHD, even though Dish said the 411's would be able to use the feature.

A 411 is basically a 211, but has no ethernet port. I have a 211 in my living room and a 411 in my bedroom. My 211 is already hooked up, but people with 411's haven't been able to activate their EHD, even though Dish said the 411's would be able to use the feature.

I'm still trying once a week to activate mine. I always seem to get complete idiot's for csr's but I'm hoping it happens soon, I have a hard drive hooked up and waiting to be activated.

I'm still trying once a week to activate mine. I always seem to get complete idiot's for csr's but I'm hoping it happens soon, I have a hard drive hooked up and waiting to be activated.

I actually just spoke to a Dish Tech Rep about this specific issue yesterday. As you have experienced week after week, the rep said the EHD function was not ready for activation on the 411 yet and he/she also had no timeline on when it would be available. At this point, I'm wondering if they've just given up on the 411.

Did you try plugging in an EHD into your 411 after the 211 was activated? I was hoping that by having both models on an account, activating a 211 would automatically activate a 411 since they have the same firmware. - And make it at least five that were produced ;)

You know, I have considered doing that. I guess it would be worth a shot. Someone actually sent me a PM last night stating they sent a polite email to the Dish CEO address and after about a week, was able to get the 411 activated. So, it sounds to me that they are able to do it, but since there aren't a whole lot of 411's on the market, that they are just spending no time worrying about it in general.

You know, I have considered doing that. I guess it would be worth a shot. Someone actually sent me a PM last night stating they sent a polite email to the Dish CEO address and after about a week, was able to get the 411 activated. So, it sounds to me that they are able to do it, but since there aren't a whole lot of 411's on the market, that they are just spending no time worrying about it in general.

After reading this yesterday, I sent an email to the ceo address and gave them my account number and asked if it could be activated.

Guess what, my 750 gig western digital it formatting now. I was just going to reset everything and give it a try and I disconnected the usb from the receiver and plugged it back in got the same message on the screen and instead of the gold highlight on the menu there was a green one and now I'm formatting.

Heres the email I got back from them:

Thank you for your email and bringing your concern to our attention.

Technically the software for the DP411 receiver is compatible with the external hard drive activation. At this time our system does not allow the activation to be added to the account. This activation is a separate activation than the archive activation for the ViP722 that you have on your account. There is normally an additional $39.99 fee added to the account for the external hard drive activation. I have manually added the activation code to your account and have waived the $39.99 activation fee. Please let me know if the receiver has accepted the activation. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee that this will work, or if it does, how long the activation will last. The DP411 was initially supposed to be supported by the external hard drive, but that information has been removed from our data base at this time. Please try to access the hard drive and let me know the outcome. We thank you for your patience in this matter.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

and guess what? It worked.

Got my 411 working too, After reading the success stories of you guys and getting a PM from a member who wishes to be anonymous I called the activation number on the 499 screen, when it wanted money to activate I said no. Got connected to tech support, Who then connected me to advanced tech support.The woman was very helpful and said she needed to talk to someone about it but she said let me send an authorization hit first so your units are using all the features on your account. While on hold the screen flashed to" do you want to format the HDD", clicked yes and was good to go.
She stayed on the line till I was watching tv and checked that it was functioning correct so I ordered a 21.0 remote while I was at it:)

Once again thanks guys.

Well guess what? I added a 211 to my account, activated the EHD feature and the 411 was also activated. (I never even mentioned the 411). You heard it here first.

That will help out the six Dish Network subs that have both receivers. :D:D

Are you listening Mr. Smith? I think you owe me a dollar.

On another site. I said it was just a tier. This bolsters my case. Unless they write to the eprom too. ;)

Hey guys I'm pretty new here, but I have been searching around and thought I'd post that tonight I just got my 411 activated. I called the number, got a CSR, who referred me to tech support, got a friendly guy who put me on hold while he looked it up, came back, informed me that there would be a $39.99 activation fee, after which there is no monthly charge, and then put the activation through. Within about a minute, the activation message came on my screen, and the receiver formatted my 750GB WD MyBook without incident, rebooted, and now I hve a DVR.

I just hope he was right that there was no monthly service fee for the DVR functionality, that was why I did not mind paying $40 one-time to activate my own hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts