45 GB HD DVD Tested.. bye bye Blu Ray

I wouldn't say bye bye Blu-ray. Dual layer BR hold up to 50gbs and I think I read somewhere that Sony is work on a Quad layer BR disk with a capacity of 100GB :shocked. The HD-DVD site didn't say that the 45GB disk was single or dual layer so don;t yell at me if I'm comparing a single layer to a dual one. Me personally I have not pick one side over the other because they both suck. I hate this type of media that can easily get damaged and then your forced to buy it again. Plus Holographic storage is the real next gen storage medium. Can you say Terabit? That's just to cool. If company's weren't trying to steal money from use they would just skip right over HD-DVD and Blu Ray. I'm just sayin that all.

It's a little early to be declaring any winners. At best, year end figures might tell that tale.

navychop said:
It's a little early to be declaring any winners.
Why do so many people say this? Are they holding out hope that BD will catch up to HD DVD? That's what I think. Currently, BD is HD lite at best. Maybe they can fix it (they probably will). Why not declare the less expensive, better picture quality, cheaper to produce, cheaper movies the winner?

rgaines said:
I wouldn't say bye bye Blu-ray. Dual layer BR hold up to 50gbs and I think I read somewhere that Sony is work on a Quad layer BR disk with a capacity of 100GB :shocked. The HD-DVD site didn't say that the 45GB disk was single or dual layer so don;t yell at me if I'm comparing a single layer to a dual one. Me personally I have not pick one side over the other because they both suck. I hate this type of media that can easily get damaged and then your forced to buy it again. Plus Holographic storage is the real next gen storage medium. Can you say Terabit? That's just to cool. If company's weren't trying to steal money from use they would just skip right over HD-DVD and Blu Ray. I'm just sayin that all.
Funny I dont see any 50Gb Blu ray movie disks for sale :rolleyes:

rgaines said:
I guess you could say the same for HD-DVD.

The difference is the PQ on the current HD DVD's is outstanding on the current 25 Gb HD DVD's. There really is no need for more capacity unless BluRay pushes it. NO ONE is complaining about the PQ on HD DVD. EVERYONE is complaining about the PQ on Blu Ray.

That's true. From what I've read the PQ is bad. I would blame that on the porting process as the disk it self would not cause the bad PQ. They were just rush to market before they were polished. It's just bad presentation.

R&D Corner: 45G-byte HD-DVD disc
Toshiba Corp. has developed an HD-DVD disc with a capacity of 45G bytes by adding a third layer to an HD-DVD disc. The extra capacity will allow content producers to store longer movies or add extra features to the high-definition disc but this is one development that might never see the light of day. The HD-DVD group and Blu-ray Disc Association are discussing the possibility of a single format for high-definition video discs. It's what all consumers say they want so if the talks go well we're sure to be seeing a slightly different common disc.

Link

So they con the public with two different formats and then say, ooops, just kidding, and make early adopters invest in yet another piece of equipment/software. I think I'll just hold out until flash media becomes the standard of HD home video.

"... Why do so many people say this?..."

Because it's round 1 in the fight? Because all the players haven't taken the field? Because LCD owned the lower end of the HD display market, and then DLP showed up? Because the star of one of the teams hasn't entered play yet? Because probably less than one percent of the year's sales of this category of product have been made so far? Because the first HD-DVD players are repackaged Pentium M computers and will surely get better- as will BD players?

At the least, BD will serve to keep pressure on Toshiba et al to improve their product. Do you think they'd be selling at such a heavily subsidised price if it weren't for BD? Heck, do you think there'd even BE an HD-DVD player for sale already if it weren't for the competition? They rushed to market and have priced so aggressively because they need the buzz and early market share- they KNOW that BD will be very competitive.

At the most, BD will come out with superior players and software and take the lead- despite a poor start.

There is nothing to be gained by "declaring a winner" at this point. The single format idea is dead. More BD players will come out, including the PS3. Nothing will stop that. And despite what we may want to believe, we don't know if the PS3 will succeed or fail- or if it will make any difference in Blu-ray sales. Sony has dominated game consoles for a long time- but then, so did Nintendo, for a while.

Relax, no one could possibly know the winner now. It's the first game of the season. We can cheer our favorites, resign ourselves to who we expect to win, or just watch the game.

Zookster- I doubt that flash could become cheap enough to compete with optical. But there have recently been some major advances along these lines, so maybe one day. By then, some form of post-DVD optical disc will be common- HD-DVD, Blu-ray or maybe even HVD or something else.

I think the "common format/single hi-def disc" ship has sailed. They had their chance. Now, one company will suffer a lot thru failure in the marketplace, or both will suffer thru split sales. Or maybe they have another option.

Let's say the HD-DVD camp is frightened enough by the stakes and the possibility of losing to Blu-ray, and Blu-ray is frightened enough by the early lead of HD-DVD, poor introduction of their boy, and possible uncertainties of multiple layers- that they both sit down and talk for real. If they came out with a single disc, a third hi-def design, how would they handle people that have already "bought in?" Offer replacement players and discs? Stiff them and suffer thru the inevitable lawsuits, of which they are certain to lose at least some? Maybe it would be more likely that they would cross-license and move toward dual players, so they both limit their losses. Then it may not matter much to them if one dominates over the other- they have now stacked the deck so they can't lose. They wouldn't be able to win all the marbles anymore, but they may view it as a good trade off to not risk a major loss.

navychop said:
If they came out with a single disc, a third hi-def design, how would they handle people that have already "bought in?" Offer replacement players and discs? Stiff them and suffer thru the inevitable lawsuits, of which they are certain to lose at least some? Maybe it would be more likely that they would cross-license and move toward dual players, so they both limit their losses. Then it may not matter much to them if one dominates over the other- they have now stacked the deck so they can't lose. They wouldn't be able to win all the marbles anymore, but they may view it as a good trade off to not risk a major loss.
I'm sure the Toshiba could display BD with a firmware upgrade!:D

Last edited:
vurbano said:
VC-1 on HD DVD + 45 Gb = game over as far as movies and players go. There is simply no need for anything bigger. You must be nuts if you think 200 GB will ever be used for movies.

MPEG-2 on DVD + 8.5 GB = game over as far as movies and players go. There is simply no need for anything bigger. You must be nuts if you think 45 GB will ever be used for movies.

MPEG-1 on VCD + 800 MB = game over as far as movies and players go. There is simply no need for anything bigger. You must be nuts if you think 8.5 GB will ever be used for movies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)