4DTV DSR 922 with MPEG-2 decompression capability built in

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sugzze

Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
This may be a very dumb question, but I need some information. I am going to have the 4DTV DSR 922 installed this week and want to know if I will have to purchase an MPEG-2 receiver as well even when the DSR 922 has full MPEG-2 decompression capability built in. I want my new 4DTV receiver but I also am very interested in having access to as many free wildfeeds such as the news feeds, etc. A reply will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I think you will have to have to buy and install an fta box. I'm not to sure what Motorola means when they say MPEG-2 capability but my 920 sure does not tune in anything dvb fta. Maybe the 922 does.

Mpeg-2 Receiver

tdti1 said:
DVB and DCII use mpeg 2 compression, though they are not compatible.

Get the 4dtv have fun playing with it, program all the c/ku satellites you can find and then grab a DVB unit, they can be had for a very good price, you will slave it to the 4dtv like so:
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm

So I can just install the mpeg-2 receiver myself? I was told differently by the guy that installed my 4dtv, etc. He also told me that there was not that much on mpeg-2. A reply will be greatly appreciated.

Sugzze said:
So I can just install the mpeg-2 receiver myself?
Yes, use the diagram tdti1 left for you above.
Sugzze said:
I was told differently by the guy that installed my 4dtv, etc. He also told me that there was not that much on mpeg-2. A reply will be greatly appreciated.
There are lot's of stuff on DVB-s. Note though, you won't be able to get pay services, that you may be used to. There are more FTA (DVB-s) than 4dtv (Digicypher II). Both use/are mpeg-2. You can't go wrong.

Al

I've got a question about the 922. When I bought my 4dtv it was the 920 model (I spent a crapload of money on that thing) and a month or two later they came out with the 922 model.

The only thing I noticed that was different between the two models was that with the 922 the S-Video out worked for both analog and digital stations, not just digital.

Anyways, is there anything else that I'm missing with my 920? I subscribed to Showtime on my C-Band and noticed that a few channels weren't coming in. I called NPS and was told that I needed the 922 to pick the channels up. I was pretty mad, they could have told me that before I subscribed. I don't remember which ones exactly (I think C3-125-127). I don't want to fork out $300+ for such little things. But if I could update it for a good price, I would.

Also, does anyone know if this is the reason TV5 on GB isn't coming in? Because it says that the channel is free, but I just see a please subscribe slate.

Thanks for the help.

different between the two models

RussTC3 said:
I've got a question about the 922. When I bought my 4dtv it was the 920 model (I spent a crapload of money on that thing) and a month or two later they came out with the 922 model.

The only thing I noticed that was different between the two models was that with the 922 the S-Video out worked for both analog and digital stations, not just digital.

Anyways, is there anything else that I'm missing with my 920?.
I don't know, but probably. I'm not sure but I think Wealth TV is one of these channels. There is another thing that is different. The EPG, on the 920, you can only info the present feature and the next program. On the 922, you can scan futher programs from the info button.
RussTC3 said:
I subscribed to Showtime on my C-Band and noticed that a few channels weren't coming in. I called NPS and was told that I needed the 922 to pick the channels up. I was pretty mad, they could have told me that before I subscribed. I don't remember which ones exactly (I think C3-125-127).
You can watch those channels on G10 for the west coast feeds.
RussTC3 said:
I don't want to fork out $300+ for such little things. But if I could update it for a good price, I would.
Don't know what to say hear, I had/have a 922 that went quirky on me, I should have gotten it fixed. But, I have a 920 I'm using so I wouldn't spend the money on the 922. That's my problem. Can't blame anyone else.

RussTC3 said:
Also, does anyone know if this is the reason TV5 on GB isn't coming in? Because it says that the channel is free, but I just see a please subscribe slate.

Thanks for the help.
I don't speak French, so I don't know much about this one. But, I would think if you see a please subscribe slate, it must be a pay or subscription channel. It's probably in a digital package deal from NPS or Skyvision or somewhere else.

Al

tdti1 said:
you will slave it to the 4dtv like so:

I do that with an analog C Band and MPEG-2. The C Band controls the servo and polarity. Is there any reason you can't ground the servo to both receivers and use a DPDT toggle to switch control of polarity between receivers?

RussTC3 said:

Anyways, is there anything else that I'm missing with my 920? I subscribed to Showtime on my C-Band and noticed that a few channels weren't coming in. I called NPS and was told that I needed the 922 to pick the channels up. I was pretty mad, they could have told me that before I subscribed. I don't remember which ones exactly (I think C3-125-127). I don't want to fork out $300+ for such little things. But if I could update it for a good price, I would.

Thanks for the help.

The 922 is better I find anyway, you can sell the 920 and then put that money on for the 922.

Here is a list on what is different:
http://www.bigdish.info/ (just click 922 on the left hand side)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)