4DTV in the clear channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

nycrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
I got a previously subscribed 4DTV receiver Motorola 920 from my in-laws (was subbed 5 years back). I plugged the unit in and I can get the id number (battery not dead) and view analog channels (RAI Italy on 103W).
I would like to view some of the clear channels like Blackbelt TV on AMC1 at 103W. I have read most of the threads and a bit confused.
Do I need to leave it on a digital channel to update the mapping since it was out of service.? Is there a good channel on 103W (W1 ) to take updates?or do I need to move the dish to a specific sat like G5 (105W)? Can the receiver view the FTA 4DTV channels or do I need to subscribe and have the reciever take a "re-hit". I am mainly just looking to view a couple of the free 4DTV channels that are listed on lyngsat as open like 103 W (W10 tp 3800H "Blackbelt TV, etc). If I need to get the cheapest sub to re-hit(authorize the receiver ) I don't mind.....Thanks...

To get the latest channel maps you need to go to a premium movie channel. As far as FTA goes to get the U channels like ALTV you need an active sub of some sort FP or ZK should work now. BTW Blackbelt is no longer ITC. Skyvision can supply some small alacarte subs for the least amount of cash.

I have been using SRL for a few years now. Good package pricing and quick to answer the phone and pleasant to deal with. They don't try to up sell other products like NPS.

SRL ( programming-center.net ) provides programming for Skyvision.

When it comes to ITC 4DTV, not much variety at all and that's the reason why I sold my 905 for 200+ late last year. You will have much better luck with a decent DVB-S2 HD receiver like the AZBox models.

Considering the box was previously authorized, ALTV should be viewable w/o any sub, just a current map. It used to be anyway....?

Once you have dl'd the latest map and confirmed operation of your equipment, spring for a package. They are cheap enough. FP stuff comes and goes but there are a very few DCII stations broadcasting ITC anymore. The (Nebraska) PBS channels on T4 are still there, but you can get them (and Montana PBS) via a DVB-S box as well.
DCII is still a nice addition to a TVRO station. One use would be to sub one of the movie packages (Starz etc) and have that suplement whatever your existing programming linup is. Still better Q and less expensive than the pizza pan guys.

Oh and the BIG plus'...NO contracts, pvr fees, locals fees, phone line fees, provide your own KY fees, we got ya by the short hairs fees....well you get the idea....lol Only devout masichists would stay in a relationship like that......

Bite me Papa Ergen's and Direcomino's....:D

Considering the box was previously authorized, ALTV should be viewable w/o any sub, just a current map. It used to be anyway....?

Bite me Papa Ergen's and Direcomino's....:D

ALTV requires a sub to one channels since it's in "U" Universal mode.

I already have the Everything package w/HD from Dish. However I was mainly interested in getting Blackbelt TV for the kids. Surprising martial arts is big around the world and the US, but there is no channels by the big sat providers.

I have no personal experience (always subbed), but was going on info from I guy I used to talk with on IRC. He was using a desubbed 920. He talked about the stuff he watched on ALTV. That was some time ago. Have they always been in U mode or did that happen after they "reorganized"? I have not talked to him since then.

When it comes to ITC 4DTV, not much variety at all and that's the reason why I sold my 905 for 200+ late last year. You will have much better luck with a decent DVB-S2 HD receiver like the AZBox models.

AZBox won't get VH1 Classic though :(

My model 920 receiver failed, so I'm looking for a replacement. I very kind SatelliteGuy offered to give me a model 920 that he had, provided that I pay for shipping on it. Unfortunately when he plugged it in to check out the unit ID, the number that showed up on the screen was not valid - another dead battery..

For "Pay" services, I like the small packages from SRL. I just wish that I could use an AZBox to get VH1 Classic through some sort of subscription card (IREDO?) on C-Band.

I have a Coolsat 8100 right now for my DVB-S2 stuff.

I enjoyed listening to the free audio channels on the 4DTV unit, and really liked it when channels would slip into the clear for periods of time. PPV was open a few months back for about a week on one of the C-Band birds - that was a nice perk of having a 4DTV receiver - my DVB receivers couldn't get the open PPV chans.

If anybody reading this has a 4DTV receiver with valid ID they want to get rid of cheap, please PM me :)

I'm still torn on where I should spend my money.. I really like (and miss) VH1 Classic.

Davage did you try contacting ATS to see if they can/will repair the lost ID. I dont know exactly what they do, if it's reload the EEPROM with Motorola's blessing or if they replace the whole board. I did see they say some boards are no longer available. Might be worth a call to a tech in support to get the scoop.

Davage did you try contacting ATS to see if they can/will repair the lost ID. I dont know exactly what they do, if it's reload the EEPROM with Motorola's blessing or if they replace the whole board. I did see they say some boards are no longer available. Might be worth a call to a tech in support to get the scoop.

The 920 boards are no longer available.

Is that the method of repair TVROPro, to to replace the entire mb? If so that would mean they have a quantity of preconfigured 4D boards all still running on a battery.
Given the technology available, it would seem to be more effecient to reload the memory with info from Motorola that they would allow the ACC to authorize. Being an authorized service center, I suspect "proprietary technical info" is available to the tech staff, so it wouldnt be impossible.
Unfortunately Motorola being the control freaks they are, I doubt they would even entertain the concept.
I guess we should consider ourselves lucky they grace us with the chance of repair of any kind.:rolleyes:

From what I know when the unit ID is toast ATS swaps MB's on 922's. (they have those)

I think the only way some other method of archiving & reloading Unit ID's would be done would be in someone's basement :(

".............would be in someone's basement"

Too close to the water table for a basement here....:no.....lol
I wouldnt be surprized to learn those bench techs have basements though.......:rolleyes:

I have a 922 that the board is trashed because the VCII battery puked. I wonder if the price is the same for a trashed mb vs a brain dead one....guess I should give them a call......
Wonder if it will fit in one of those USPS flat rate boxes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)