4DTV Model 920 - won't upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

trinidex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
I've got a 4DTV Model 920 receiver with software revision "61". From what I've read the latest version is "6D" but for some reason I can't my box to upgrade.

Subsequently I'm missing satellites (X4 specifically) which I'm desperate to get.

When I check the information page, it shows:
Current Revision: 61
Target Revision: 00000

So far I've tried these steps to get the upgrade, to no avail:

1) Enable "Allow dish to move for updates" - YES
2) Put receiver on G1-3 and switch off at night - YES

Can someone one help?

Thanks

Last edited:
A 920 does not have auto map refresh, you may want to go to G1-3 if you have a DCII light and good quality unplug the 920 for 30 seconds and then replug it, wait till warm up is complete and then hit the guide to download the guide once the guide is up scroll to a movie and hit info, sometimes the info will need to download on it's own.

Also make sure that the 4dtv is setup for c and ku lnb's in the main setup menu, if not then you will never see ku icons when trying to program a new satellite.

Don't blame me if your unit dies when you unplug it, if you have not had the battery changed in the 920 yet then the battery may be dead and will lose it's main seed key info when power is cut, if the unit dies you will need to send it to ATS electronics for repair or you can upgrade to a new 922, also if the unit is ok after the unplug replug you may want to send it in anyway to have the battery changed, and hope it does not die in shipping, the 4dtv battery is good for about 7-10 years, your VCII+/VCRS board battery is good for about 10-15 years, having both done is not a bad idea.

Last edited:
I think Hermitman is on to something there. I have a 920 and when they (my provider) add channels, I have to go to G1 channel 3 and unplug my receiver (about 10-15 seconds), and let it boot back up. You will lose the programming already stored, but you can re-apply it on G1 channel 3 also. Doing this will remap the 920, and you should be good to go.

Al

I performed these steps this morning:

1) Checked LNB settings: C-Band LNBF and Ku-Band LNBFs
2) Tuned to G1-3 (Sig:46 Qua:20)
3) Pulled AC power for 30 secs then reconnect AC power
4) Waited for "WM UP" to complete
5) Hit Guide - Waited for guide to load, guide loads
6) Selected a movie channel and pressed Info - Info loads
7) Options 6-4-4

Where X4 should be, the sat list reads like this:
X3, T5, L5, G4, W4, K4, W1

I read somewhere else that one of the f/w updates fixes an issue where K is shown instead of X, so I selected K4 (wishful thinking) and performed another update (G1-3, Pull Power, Restore Power, WM UP, Guide), but that didn't help.

Any other suggestions?

Your quality is very low on G1-3.

Hit options 6-0-5 (hidden menu) and then press the left arrow key twice, on the top line in about the middle your tdt count is listed, if it says 1920 you must do a master reset because the units memory is overloaded, and it will not operate properly.

I think tdti1 is correct. Because, X4 should be there, it is the ku side of G4. K4 is the ku side of W4. The maps you want, will never show up on K4, they will be on X4.

Al

Hit options 6-0-5 (hidden menu) and then press the left arrow key twice, on the top line in about the middle your tdt count is listed, if it says 1920 you must do a master reset ...

I don't see a tdt count, I don't have a Diag "G" page either.

I have A to E and I can't see anything resembling a TDT count:confused:

I don't see a tdt count, I don't have a Diag "G" page either.

I have A to E and I can't see anything resembling a TDT count:confused:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure thats the same way on all 4dtv's to get the count, try it again see what happends, if you want you can just do a master reset anyway, because there is a chance that the memory got corrupt from brown outs and the options and menus are all bonkers, I do a master reset on mine for the heck of it every year or two, you may want to change the battery also, because if not the unit will go dead once the battery fails and power is cut to the unit for over 3-5 seconds.

This is a bit outdated, you will want to do the reset on Galaxy-15 (G1)
http://my4dtv.tripod.com/mr.htm

It does seem strange that those diag screens are missing.

I'll try the master reset and report back.

I did a master reset... to no avail. I followed the steps here:http://my4dtv.tripod.com/mr.htm (but on G1 3).

I have diag screens A thru E I've checked them against this article: http://home.austin.rr.com/drlev/Diagscrn/diagscrn.htm
and screens A thru E give the same info, but there is no F or G.

On Diag A I see this in the top left: "ov20" which I presume is the model number of the unit (DSR920).

Are diag screens F and G on my firmware version "61"?

After a reset I do not see X4 it's not in the list.
I'm gonna call ATS and see what they say.

Tom from ATS had this to say:

"You need version 6D to be able to get X4. It will also allow you to use the volume control and make the unit a little less sluggish. We can update the firmware and install any other updates and a fresh battery for $55 labor + parts + S&H. Just call or fill out the repair form on our website and we'll issue an RA number for it."

So there we go!

Tom from ATS had this to say:

"You need version 6D to be able to get X4. It will also allow you to use the volume control and make the unit a little less sluggish. We can update the firmware and install any other updates and a fresh battery for $55 labor + parts + S&H. Just call or fill out the repair form on our website and we'll issue an RA number for it."

So there we go!

Cool, make sure you never go to a star choice satellite when you get it back.

Finally got round to sorting this out!

I shipped the unit to ATS, they upgraded it, changed the battey and replaced the front facia (the old one was dropping off).

The unit now has software 6D and satellite X4 - yippee!!!

The unit is a lot faster now too - bonus!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)