4DTV 's value appreciating

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would certainly hope that Skyvision would at least replace the batteries in the DSR920 receivers. I suspect they did not in the DSR410s they market.

Too bad they couldn't recycle the DSR921s from Starchoice or some other Motorola box that's out there to increase the availability.

I'm glad I got my new 922s while they were still being produced. Even though my first failed on the 3rd month anniversary and took forever to receive another new one back in January.

I've got a Voom [DSR-550? I think it is] I'd LOVE to load up w/4DTV FW and maps...........(sigh)

I've got a Voom [DSR-550? I think it is] I'd LOVE to load up w/4DTV FW and maps...........(sigh)

I had the same idea about the Voom boxes. I played around with it some but the SRs are different. The last thing I wanted to do was lose the OTA capability, so be careful and avoid going near a factory reset screen.

On this subject, I noticed that Motorola built several models of Starchoice boxes. Like the DSR505, it looks very similar to our DSR550s. I was thinking of trying to see if my extra 410 would load a Starchoice map if I left it alone on Anik F2 for the fun of it.

It would be a great resource to put these unused models back in service.

I had the same idea about the Voom boxes. I played around with it some but the SRs are different. The last thing I wanted to do was lose the OTA capability, so be careful and avoid going near a factory reset screen.

On this subject, I noticed that Motorola built several models of Starchoice boxes. Like the DSR505, it looks very similar to our DSR550s. I was thinking of trying to see if my extra 410 would load a Starchoice map if I left it alone on Anik F2 for the fun of it.

It would be a great resource to put these unused models back in service.

There has to be a way to update the software in these Starchoice and like boxes to play with the US 4DTV channels. Only if Motorola would allow someone to do something we would probably have a winner. I guess the big M looks at the 4DTV as something that won't make them any money so thats why there just letting it die it's slow death. Heck we just lost another channel Showtime W HD that was 4DTV compatible has gone to megapipe.

...I was thinking of trying to see if my extra 410 would load a Starchoice map if I left it alone on Anik F2 for the fun of it...
It will- Iceberg did it with his, he said it mapped in about 10 minutes!:eek: I'm going to try it too since mine's been sitting on W5 for over a month and, nothing! He said you'll see the Starchoice PPV preview channel and I think some other Canadian gov't channel.:)

There has to be a way to update the software in these Starchoice and like boxes to play with the US 4DTV channels. Only if Motorola would allow someone to do something we would probably have a winner. I guess the big M looks at the 4DTV as something that won't make them any money so thats why there just letting it die it's slow death. Heck we just lost another channel Showtime W HD that was 4DTV compatible has gone to megapipe.
That's just not in big M's business acumin. They dominate, and if they are in a market, do all the can to squeeze out the competition, capitalism at it's finest. Throw in some old tech bas-ackards proprietary engineering and you have their entire sat dirtro system in a nut shell. It's likely the last thing they want to do is disiminate any more info than necessary for public knowledge, licensing or otherwise 'cause them patch eyed guys would tear that old school stuff up with enough info and todays techie tools. HITS would no doubt kick the entire system to the curb in a matter of months, go with Power Vu etc, leaving big M with not much to do but build cell phones.
Although far from reality, If me you and 100k or so others are watching tv on C band we are a market share that is NOT watching on their primary consumer end a/v market......cable, or other HITS distros, ie competition. It is sad for us, and the free public in general, but it is not in their best interest to support home TVRO

What I suspect would finally end the 4DTV consumer A/V distribution system would be a buy out from Mr. Ergen. Then it would just quietly go away with little notice. It seems that DN likes to absorb the competition.

I think many people that still use it are enthusiasts and hobbyists like ourselves that help keep it alive. That's why I promote that we all keep an active 4DTV sub. If the revenue dips too low the providers will think no one is watching.

Maybe someday they will release the 4DTV sub count numbers. All we used to read about was the decline in the analog subscriber base.

What I suspect would finally end the 4DTV consumer A/V distribution system would be a buy out from Mr. Ergen. Then it would just quietly go away with little notice. It seems that DN likes to absorb the competition.

I think many people that still use it are enthusiasts and hobbyists like ourselves that help keep it alive. That's why I promote that we all keep an active 4DTV sub. If the revenue dips too low the providers will think no one is watching.

Maybe someday they will release the 4DTV sub count numbers. All we used to read about was the decline in the analog subscriber base.

Screw Dish Network, they and Direct can stick it where the sun don't shine. We all must keep our 4DTV's alive and subbed. That's a thorn in LSD's side. I for one will be with the 4D till the end. Then I'll go read a book. Won't ever give a nickle of my hard earned money to any LSD company!

They won't release the 4d's sub numbers because they want to brainwash you that it's over and join the LSD crowd. If it was all over NPS and SRL would close there doors to us since they can't make any money. It appears the doors are still open, so they must be making a buck off us. Long Live NPS, SRL, 4DTV and the BUD!! :)

Guys, what sats and channels can I receive with a 4dtv receiver, and a 6 foot dish? Sub costs? I'm on track of one now, and the person only wants $40.00 for both receiver and dish "if I haul". I haven't had a "big dish" (funny calling a 6 footer a big dish!) sat system for 7 years now (since we moved to a new house), so haven't kept up much on Videocipher/Digicipher stuff since then.

Guys, what sats and channels can I receive with a 4dtv receiver, and a 6 foot dish? Sub costs? I'm on track of one now, and the person only wants $40.00 for both receiver and dish "if I haul". I haven't had a "big dish" (funny calling a 6 footer a big dish!) sat system for 7 years now (since we moved to a new house), so haven't kept up much on Videocipher/Digicipher stuff since then.

Ok, I picked up the dish and the receiver. The receiver is a G.I. "4DTV" model, and has the VCRS module installed. How do I tell if it's a DSR920 or 922, etc? I don't see anything else on it besides the 4dtv. The dish has one damaged mesh, (not the frame, just the mesh itself is damaged) so I'll have to repair that. The dish is a 6 foot "Unimesh" model, with polar mount, and superjack actuator. Anybody know how best to replace one of the mesh "V" pieces that's damaged?

OK, I just noticed the label on the bottom, it's a DSR-920. Is that a good model? I never went to digicipher when I had any of my old c-band dishes, so beyond remembering they cost a fortune at the time, I don't know much else about them.

Last edited:
Your 920 will be fine, just make sure the unit ID is still valid, if not it's a door stop, if it is still valid you mite want to have the battery changed asap, you can send it to ATS electronics to have it swapped.

DSR-920's are getting old and if the onboard battery dies, you lose your ID number.
This was a tamper gaurd put in by Motorola. It kind of sucks because a lot of good receivers have died because of a failed battery.

Some on the website with electronic skills have changed their own batteries successfully.

Well, the unit id on the 4dtv receiver is still good. I can't check the one for the VCRS module, since I don't have a c-band dish at present to get a VC signal to activate the menu. My wife is fighting me about this, and thinks that the 3 dishes I already have installed at present are plenty. I have 2 of the larger Primestar's and one 3ABN dish.

Make your wife happy by making sure your 4DTV package has something in it for her then she will be a pushover! On the other hand, my "pushover" has the 4DTV on her channels more often than on the channels I want to watch!!!

You mentioned replacement parts, I have been lucky to find damaged BUDs (beyond repair) to use for repair pieces like panels and whatever. Every time I drag a BUD home and the wife frowns, I just show her what the pieces cost new and then everything is fine. I can even get her to go BUD spotting now and then!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)