4DTV Video Quality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
Is it just me or is the compression on G3 not all that great. I had high hopes for less compression of the video signals on 4DTV, however I have yet to see it.

Are these not the masters feeds? They sure seem like they are retransmitted copies of the master feeds.

I find that most are better than you get on any of the pizza pan services but the quality does vary quite a bit. Again, I think for the most part the quality is pretty good.

Is it just me or is the compression on G3 not all that great. I had high hopes for less compression of the video signals on 4DTV, however I have yet to see it.

Are these not the masters feeds? They sure seem like they are retransmitted copies of the master feeds.

The G3 channels are the NPS reuplinks. They are the graveyard of 4DTV signals as far as picture quality. NPS has bitstarved these to death. :(

They were suppose to flash there encoder (an old dinosaur there using) to be able to handle 29270 3/4 to improve the picture months ago but Crawford (there reuplinker) chickened out saying that it may crash the encoder for good.

According to Mike Mountford at the last NPS chat, they were suppose to get an engineer from Motorola to fly to Atlanta to oversee the operation to do this. And that's the last we heard over a month ago. If NPS ever does this the quality will improve but until then or the encoder dies and there forced to buy a new one were stuck with this quality if we want to subscribe to these.

I just about gave up on these ever getting better, lets hope NPS gets off there duff and proves me wrong. I really would enjoy some quality on these channels. I for one will not be renewing these once my subscription runs out unless NPS does what they said they are going to do. Im on the masters or W5 for the most part and the quality on those channels are excellent.

Maybe all of us that subscribe to these need to call NPS and let them know how dissatisfied with the picture we are. (I did this already) If enough voices are heard it may put a fire in there belly and get this done already. Like the old saying "The squeaky wheel gets the oil" :)

There are distribution feeds available on 4dtv, I sub to them only, these are the movie channels along with other channels, stuff on G3 is NPS worse than pizza dish channels, on AMC-18 (W5) those are HITS feeds, they are not bad but not the main distribution feeds.

> ...AMC-18 (W5) those are HITS feeds, they are not bad but not the main distribution feeds.

I thougt the HITS feeds are for Comcast resellers, like cable company head ends.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Sure seems like a waste of satellite bandwidth to be resending the same channels over and over again.

On a side note if I was the FCC I would consider the idea of a large cable company and pizza dish provider merging with the condtions that most of the TV delivery (With the exception of locals) be carried by Sat and that in turn would free up the cable for data bandwidth. (Imagine having 100 MB data lines like .jp and .kr)

but I digress

> ...AMC-18 (W5) those are HITS feeds, they are not bad but not the main distribution feeds.

I thougt the HITS feeds are for Comcast resellers, like cable company head ends.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Sure seems like a waste of satellite bandwidth to be resending the same channels over and over again.

but I digress

Hits does this to make it easy for the cable companies to plant one dish and view there 3 satellites at once. They can also pass the digital directly to the subscribers without having to do all the processing.

Charter cable used to feed quite a few second gen channels to there cable companies in digital also. They pulled those feeds a couple years ago. I miss those since they were Dc-2 ITC for most of the last year before they finally went away.

I remember that charter mux. you had to use a generic satellite on G13 and invert the polarity. It was a nice little mux. I used to watch spike on there.

Maybe all of us that subscribe to these need to call NPS and let them know how dissatisfied with the picture we are. (I did this already) If enough voices are heard it may put a fire in there belly and get this done already. Like the old saying "The squeaky wheel gets the oil" :)
The only problem I see with this approach....are there enough "squeaky wheels"? :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)