4Dtv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Nosbod

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Blind River Ontario
I have been looking at getting into 4Dtv but I don't want to buy a full blown receiver. I have been looking at the Motorola DSR905 sidecar. Orbits have them for 179.00. My current system is an 8 foot dish with an open box S9 receiver and von weis actuator.

From what I have found out I can hook up the dsr905 through the loop out on my s9 and use rca cables to connect to one of the connections on the back of my tv. Then I need to subscribe to a supplier and get digicypherII digital channels.

My question is / is it as simple as I have just explained or am I way off base. If so any suggestions would be appreciated providing I don't have to morgage my house to do it.

Thanks in advance

Orbits have them for 179.00.

Hi, That's an old website they don't have any.

To be honest you would be making a very poor choice to buy a 4dtv unit today unless you get it dirt cheap offline like at goodwill etc. The price has gone up on units big time and its not because people want to watch the history channel.;)

Don't take this the wrong way but your too late for the party the keg is almost killed.

wallyhts said:
Hi, That's an old website they don't have any.

To be honest you would be making a very poor choice to buy a 4dtv unit today unless you get it dirt cheap offline like at goodwill etc. The price has gone up on units big time and its not because people want to watch the history channel.;)

Don't take this the wrong way but your too late for the party the keg is almost killed.

Sold my DSR922 in 20 minutes flat. $$$. Seriously!

I may be a bit late getting into 4DTV but from what I.ve seen they are still offering programming and the prices for the complete package is about 1/3 the cost of what it would cost me to go to the small dish.I live in Canada and monopolies limit choices, and the choices you have are very expensive. I,ve been with C- Band for close to 45 years and I'lle be damned if I'me going to let the small dish dictate to me what and who I can buy my programming from.

I take this to mean you're predicting that no one will ever again bring out a new consumer DCII STB? (Not for a moment disagreeing.)

From reading the forum these last few years, I'd say that ship has sailed.
You're lucky to find a used receiver any more. :(

I take this to mean you're predicting that no one will ever again bring out a new consumer DCII STB? (Not for a moment disagreeing.)

Yes I don't think you will ever see a new DCII STB for the US market. Shaw has them but that's a different story they control their own system. Hits (Comcast Media Center) would be the only place that could auth a STB even if someone came out with one. However it is possible that someone could come up with a STB that just uses a Cable Card for hits but very unlikely. Hits is really pushing their fiber product to feed head ends. DCII is old stuff and to put money into that and not an IPTV platform would be a big mistake. Plus for the first time hits has competition in the small cable system market.

I'm not saying we will never have a C-band system just not a DCII system. ;)

You can try Roger at rpssat in Montreal, when I picked up my MicroHD he seemed to have a pile of 4d receivers sitting in front of his office.

Keep in mind this was a few months ago.

That's too bad DCII is on it's way out. I always liked the individual choices you had, clear picture and cheaper prices. Hits doesn't offer a whole lot and I'm afraid the plug is going to be pulled there too eventually. FTA, imo, is not what is was even as little as two years ago. Not being a sports fan, religion or a fan of other languages makes FTA somewhat limited. But I am thankful to have it. These are just my thoughts on the subject. I think that unless you're a hard core hobbyist or already have 90% of the equipment, investing much into a 4DTV unit would be a waste. IMHO.

A DSR920 with a new battery would do well for subscription programming. They can still be found reasonably priced compared to the dsr922/dsr905 and to my knowledge will do what you need to sub with. I have a pair of them myself. A DSR920 with new maps would do well as a dish mover too and get a handful of analog/zk dc2 channels.

DSR920's are about $250 + USBJtag =over $300 but I understand if your a sat geek its still fun to play with.

I have a 4DTV receiver I picked up years ago cheap, but didn't know until I got home that they left it unplugged for too long, and the unit id was wiped. I don't think it can then be used for anything but a dish mover, right? Re-mapping can't reload the id, so I don't see how it could then get subbed channels.

I have a 4DTV receiver I picked up years ago cheap, but didn't know until I got home that they left it unplugged for too long, and the unit id was wiped. I don't think it can then be used for anything but a dish mover, right? Re-mapping can't reload the id, so I don't see how it could then get subbed channels.
Put a battery in it and it should still work as a dish mover,analog receiver and free DCII channels(ZK),a couple of music services for example.You would not be able to subscribe it.
It's liable to have lost it's maps so you'd have to mapmaster it.

Last edited:
primestar31 said:

Prime if you don't want to buy the usbjtag cable u can send it to me and I will do it for you. I would just take the board out so it will be cheap to ship.

If any one else's wants it I am willing to do a few free of charge only thing I ask is you.
1- pay shipping both ways
2- buy something from the satguys store "don't have to but if u can buy a mug or mousepad that would be great"

I might consider giving up my 905 if the price is right and with it's LNB power not working it's ideal for someone using it as a slave to another system.

Prime if you don't want to buy the usbjtag cable u can send it to me and I will do it for you. I would just take the board out so it will be cheap to ship.

If any one else's wants it I am willing to do a few free of charge only thing I ask is you.
1- pay shipping both ways
2- buy something from the satguys store "don't have to but if u can buy a mug or mousepad that would be great"

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

Is it really worth the trouble though? How useful would it be afterwards, since the unit id is wiped and it can't be subbed? Are there really many ZK channels out there? You can PM me it those shouldn't be put in the forum. I know there's not more than about 7 max standard analog channels, and that's certainly not enough to bother about. I just haven't kept up on anything to do with 4DTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts