4ft dish in Belize?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

guitfidl

Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
I have a friend that has a home in Dallas but also stays in Belize for like 3 months a year he was asking me to help him get set up in Belize so he could bring his recievers down on his vacations. What I have been reading is that he would need a 4 ft dish. Is this true and if so is there any difference from setting up basic 18" dishes? Does anyone know of a good information source for central american sat workarounds?

Thanks

Guitfidl

I think Belize might be too far south to be in the Directv footprint. But if it was on the edge you would need at least a 2.4m dish or larger if it will even work. But from reports it looks like the footprint is tighter as people in mexico city are losing the odd transponders on 101 (main programming)

I am in Belize and DirecTV worked just fine until last week when we lost a dozen transponders on 101. Net result is no eastcoast networks and many other channels disappeared. I am using a 2.4 metre dish and am hoping the footprint will change and bring Belize back in.

charper1 said:
I have read that they may be tightening up the CONUS footprints in efforts to make those in Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, etc move over to the DirecTV Latin America service.

Oh gawd I hope that's not the case! Do you know how much GLA sucks? Can't even get any networks!

EDIT: well, yes you COULD get networks, but it involves getting a Puerto Rico sub...

Once again we can all thank the NAB and the local affiliates for that, if you aren't in their market they don't care about you as a viewer. I hate it. The NAB is the biggest scourge on TV viewers these days.

What strikes me as funny (well not so funny) is that with the CAFTA (Central America Free Trade Agreement) they open up all our markets for tariff-free US products, but they still refuse to let us watch first-tier TV!

guitfidl said:
I have a friend that has a home in Dallas but also stays in Belize for like 3 months a year he was asking me to help him get set up in Belize so he could bring his recievers down on his vacations. What I have been reading is that he would need a 4 ft dish. Is this true and if so is there any difference from setting up basic 18" dishes? Does anyone know of a good information source for central american sat workarounds?

Thanks

Guitfidl
I am in Placencia belize. I have a 1 1/2 meter Channel Master antenna I bought from Tenchtronics in Belize City. I set it up myself no problem.
Be aware we lost most of the odd transponders on sat 101 in the last wk.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)