4K Events Discussion Thread

I think there is a fairly good chance that will happen. We had the last Olympics in 4K on a next day basis. It was only certain events though. I still have the Closing Ceremonies in 4K on my EHD.

No, I would say there is probably no chance of that happening. :biggrin ;)
D’oh! That’s what I get for typing on my phone!

Any recollection of when the OLYMPICS :biggrin were announced last time to be provided through Dish 4K? Or will it be last minute? (I’m guessing last minute since, other than this forum, I’ve never seen ANYTHING mentioned about Dish having any programming in 4K!)

Reactions: pattykay
Any recollection of when the OLYMPICS :biggrin were announced last time to be provided through Dish 4K? Or will it be last minute? (I’m guessing last minute since, other than this forum, I’ve never seen ANYTHING mentioned about Dish having any programming in 4K!)

I really don't remember any advertising at all but there might have been. Dish has shown all special events on channel 540, their on and off 4K channel. I know that channel is up in testing right now so the odds are it will be there for the Olympics.

Reactions: blackjackmark
It was on channel 540. They only have it visible when events are about to happen. It is up in testing right now. I have to believe they are trying something new for the Winter Olympics.... Perhaps HDR...

2018 Winter Olympics will be slaloming its way onto your TV in 4K HDR | TechRadar
From the article:

For those not familiar with 4K already, a 4K resolution (also known as Ultra HD)

So where can you go from Ultra? Will 8K be known as SDUHD? ( Sooper Dooper Ultra HD)

Reactions: charlesrshell
just googeling around to see if super bowl or Olympics will be offered in 4k.
Looks like no to football (Seriously, CFB not not the 'biggest' game of the year?)

But as to if Dish will rebroadcast or not who knows; but here's what apparently will be filmed in 4k:

STAMFORD, CONN.—Making its Olympic debut at February’s XXIII Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang, South Korea, is the distribution of 4K HDR to cable, satellite and telco providers, NBC Olympics announced in a press release. Xfinity will serve as the presenting sponsor of NBC’s 4K HDR coverage.

NBC Olympics said that this is the first offering of Olympic coverage in 4K HDR in the U.S. NBC Olympics provided 4K coverage for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janerio, but that coverage was distributed in 4K UHD.

The 4K HDR coverage will be provided by Olympic Broadcasting Services and Japan’s NHK. NBC Olympics will then distribute the content to U.S. distribution partners, who will make their own decisions on how they will make the content available to their customers.

Events at the 2018 Winter Olympics that will include 4K coverage are the Opening Ceremony, hockey, figure skating, short track speed skating, ski jumping and snowboard big air competitions. The 4K HDR coverage will be made available on a delay. Up to four events from the previous day’s competition will be provided daily from Feb. 9 through Feb. 26.

NBC’s coverage of the 2018 Winter Olympics will take place from Feb. 8-25.