4K Events Discussion Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm getting the "Attention Format Not Supported" 1540 error as well. I see a program scheduled for 1pm CST for Olympic coverage for 2.5 hours, and it will not even allow me to set a timer for it

Can anyone else set a timer?

Just upgraded yesterday to AT120 as the rep said that was the lowest package that would provide the Olympics HD feed. The tech on the phone was told by his support people that AT200 is required...I sure wish Dish could communicate better to themselves and to their customers!

Today I called Tech Support, they're filing a ticket as they admitted the issue sounds like it's on their end, since my TV fully supports HRD (OLED65C7P)
i am also getting this also too

But I have top 250.
Little pissed that it is only available on H3. That tv in my house is for my father. I use use the joey upstairs.

I sent escalation an email yesterday and they still can not figure out why the 4K Joey is not getting the channel. They will let me know Monday. They made me verify my tv model and admitted that it should work.

The guide in 4k is nice but the HDR makes the whites of the guide way too bright and it's incredibly harsh to look at. If Dish makes HDR content more common, they should spend the time to make the guide look good in HDR. Limit the nit levels of the letters (no need for 1000 nit light coming from the guide).

It sounds like you’re in classic view. Try it in the modern view with the black guide. The black guide in 4K is super black and crisp. It makes the guide in the non 4K channels appear gray.

Reactions: pattykay
I'm getting the 4k channel, but the picture doesn't look great. Other 4k programming has looked amazing. Here's a comparison between the 4k and a regular HD.
1518227404407.jpeg
1518227450818.jpeg

I sent escalation an email yesterday and they still can not figure out why the 4K Joey is not getting the channel. They will let me know Monday. They made me verify my tv model and admitted that it should work.
Please let us know what they say. It's not available on mine and it used to have the 4k events available. But then again, it used to work right until all of the updates made it worse and worse. I am curious as to what they have to say about it.

OK I have discovered my issue...if I pass the Hopper straight to the LG, then it works. If I pass it through my Denon X4300, I get the error screen. All connections using Premium Certified HDMI cables from Monoprice. So for some reason the Denon is the issue. The Denon is fully 4k callable so it SHOULD be able to pass whatever it's given my the Hopper.

Ultimately discovered it was a cable issue. Even though I was using a Monoprice certified premium cable with the hdmi.org hologram, swapping the cable made it work, even when going through the Denon. So I blamed the Denon too quickly!

So, I'm screwed, I can't even find channel 540 or 147.5/145-05 in my guide to be able to record any 4K events. And since Friday night was the chance to watch the Opening Ceremonies, I guess I missed that in 4K as well.

So, I'm screwed, I can't even find channel 540 or 147.5/145-05 in my guide to be able to record any 4K events. And since Friday night was the chance to watch the Opening Ceremonies, I guess I missed that in 4K as well.
Tomorrow. 24-hour delay for the 4k content. Maybe get it figured out by then, with luck.

It sounds like you’re in classic view. Try it in the modern view with the black guide. The black guide in 4K is super black and crisp. It makes the guide in the non 4K channels appear gray.

Naw man, it's a Dish didn't make the guide look good in HDR issue. I've been in modern view the entire time.

HDR, specifically, is the issue,

I'm getting the 4k channel, but the picture doesn't look great. Other 4k programming has looked amazing. Here's a comparison between the 4k and a regular HD.View attachment 131283View attachment 131284
I happened to tune in to that exact same 4K picture you did. Something was wrong with the camera or something as when I returned to the channel later it showed a different skater performing, the HDR kicked on and the picture looked great.

Just quizical info here.
I do NOT have a 4K tv.
BUT
Last Olympics (and the nature 4K stuff) the H3 allowed down converted feed to my 1080 tv.
The extra noncompressed bandwidth made exceptional picture.
Throughout this past college football season, we enjoyed watching the noncompressed 540 4K games at 1080.
Even comparing FS1 to 540 to observe the extent of degredation of compression in the 'regular' hd channels.
So...
There has been no equipment change from then till now.
Why could the H3 previously pass/down-convert the 4K to our 1080 tv, but now cannot?
Artificial equipment verification block imposed by Dish?

Side note,
guide shows the 4K channel,
Pressing select to setup a timer brings incompatible message,
Pressing record button (below pause button) on remote allows initiating timer setup.
I have set timer to record all new and rerun programs on the 4K channel.
I don't have much of am expectation to watch them,
Expecting incompatible message on dvr/play attemp.
BUT, can't hurt to try.
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxbat and Pepper
I have a Hopper3 connected to a 1080p TV and a Joey4k connected to a 4k (non-HDR) TV.

Will I be able to watch the Olympics in 4k through the Joey4k?
I see some SD PPV movie when I go to Ch. 540 on the TV connected to the Joey4k. That channel # is also missing from the channel listing under "All Subscribed".

I could 4k content through Jory4k that when Dish gave us Planet Earth in 4k many months back.

Aloke

I happened to tune in to that exact same 4K picture you did. Something was wrong with the camera or something as when I returned to the channel later it showed a different skater performing, the HDR kicked on and the picture looked great.
Still having the same picture issue. Hopefully this gets sorted out.

I have a Hopper3 connected to a 1080p TV and a Joey4k connected to a 4k (non-HDR) TV.

Will I be able to watch the Olympics in 4k through the Joey4k?
I see some SD PPV movie when I go to Ch. 540 on the TV connected to the Joey4k. That channel # is also missing from the channel listing under "All Subscribed".

I could 4k content through Jory4k that when Dish gave us Planet Earth in 4k many months back.

Aloke

No, unfortunately you won’t be able to watch the 4K HDR channel. You need an HDR-compatible TV set and it needs to be connected directly to your Hopper 3 (not 4K Joey).

Why could the H3 previously pass/down-convert the 4K to our 1080 tv, but now cannot?
I suspect this is because the 4K HDR stream has much higher bandwidth than 4K, and it’s technically more difficult, if not impossible to do such real-time downconversion with the current Hopper hardware. That would be my guess.

HDR is such a new thing for Dish (revealed this week for the first time) that CSRs wouldn’t have good training on it.
The bottom line is that the 4K Joey cannot currently do HDR. I am not sure if this is a limitation of the 4K Joey itself or whether the Hopper is unable to send HDR signal over the MoCA.

Interesting that the Guide on the Joey4k looks different from the Guide on my Hopper3 as far as the channel 540 is concerned.

Hopper3 Guide says something like "4k HDR - off air" (it is 8 am eastern). When I go to that channel on my Hopper3 it gives me a pop-up saying that I cannot display that channel (my attached TV is 1080p).
On the Joey4k, the channel # 540 is missing from the guide and when I type 540 to go to that channel, I see a SD PPV movie landing page.