4K Events Discussion Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think Samsung lists HDR as UHD Color.!

UHD stands for Ultra High Definition and is not the same as HDR which is High Dynamic Range. HDR makes more vibrant colors. Dish does not have HDR on their sports shown on channel 540-01.

What is Samsung UHD?
UHD is a term that many manufacturers were using to describe 4K TVs from 2014 through to now. UHD TVs are 4K, which means their resolution is 3840×2160. Samsung calls their standard 4K displays “UHD TV” LG calls their their standard 4K displays “4K Ultra HD TV” Sony calls their standard 4K displays “4K Ultra HD TV”

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I think Samsung lists HDR as UHD Color.

The pic is not to show pq, just the image resolution. It's my smudgy phone camera! View attachment 141202

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!
I also have a Samsung , watching via D*, there is another HDR indicator in the upper right corner when an event is HDR.

Uhd color is a setting on the Samsung TV

I think someone mentioned this before (above)
For dish , only if the game is on 540-02 will it be HDR ...

Again I have D* just sharing info I have gathered from this post

20191017_200703.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. UHD, when Samsung uses it, doesn't seem to be referencing ultra high Def resolution. The settings use the term "uhd color" for a color setting.

The way I understood the uhd color setting is that it enables HDR if present.

The only HDR indication I've seen on my Sammy UN65 or UN55KS8000 is when watching Amazo Prime material. I haven't seen how to monitor Netflix for HDR.

I also have a Samsung , watching via D*, there is another HDR indicator in the upper right corner when an event is HDR.

Uhd color is a setting on the Samsung TV

I think someone mentioned this before (above)
For dish , only if the game is on 540-02 will it be HDR ...

Again I have D* just sharing info I have gathered from this post

View attachment 141209

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: dtv757
I’ve seen it say HDR while on my Xbox One X. Also, looks like on the newer Samsung’s they changed the name to input signal plus instead of UHD color

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: dtv757
Why can't DISH get it together and give us these 4K football games both NCAA and NFL from Fox in HDR.

Directv gets them ALL in 4K HDR.

DISH has a dedicated f'ing channel and still won't give them to it's paying customers.

Do they even have a clue anymore????????????

I see FINALLY we are getting the 4K NFL games after they've already been Directv, Xfinity (Comcast cable), FUBOTV streaming, and probably elsewhere.
But DISH drags it's ass. Now I see two NFL 4K games in the guide and NO HDR.

Whoever has DISH Networks ear tell them to get with it.

It's irritating as hell to be the one left out when all the other major outlets and EVEN a streaming with FiboTV.

Does DISH even care AT ALL about it's customers.

Why are they even wasting time with 4K if they can't do it right and be an industry leader.

While I'm going on. Why NO ESPN 4k games and NO NBC4K games.

Directv and Xfinity GET ALL OF THEM!!!!!

Lastly, I don't need a smart reply from anyone about just go over to them.
I want DISH to get this nonsense fixed for it's PAYING Customers and DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bjf

Let's talk about these NFL games that are 4K. Fox is upconverting them from 1080P to 4K. Maybe Fox should get their act together first....

Being my 4KHDTV upconverts everything I am guessing my local Fox OTA feed will be equal or better than the Dish 4K feed. I will be doing a lot channel changing tonight.

Reactions: pattykay
Being my 4KHDTV upconverts everything I am guessing my local Fox OTA feed will be equal or better than the Dish 4K feed. I will be doing a lot channel changing tonight.
Actually your Fox OTA feed is 720P not 1080P so the upconversion will not be the same.

Why can't DISH get it together and give us these 4K football games both NCAA and NFL from Fox in HDR.

Directv gets them ALL in 4K HDR.

DISH has a dedicated f'ing channel and still won't give them to it's paying customers.

Do they even have a clue anymore????????????

I see FINALLY we are getting the 4K NFL games after they've already been Directv, Xfinity (Comcast cable), FUBOTV streaming, and probably elsewhere.
But DISH drags it's ass. Now I see two NFL 4K games in the guide and NO HDR.

Whoever has DISH Networks ear tell them to get with it.

It's irritating as hell to be the one left out when all the other major outlets and EVEN a streaming with FiboTV.

Does DISH even care AT ALL about it's customers.

Why are they even wasting time with 4K if they can't do it right and be an industry leader.

While I'm going on. Why NO ESPN 4k games and NO NBC4K games.

Directv and Xfinity GET ALL OF THEM!!!!!

Lastly, I don't need a smart reply from anyone about just go over to them.
I want DISH to get this nonsense fixed for it's PAYING Customers and DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bjf

Dude, right! Have a look at this:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2629144&d=1571452493
It is from this forum on AVS:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-h...-live-sports-events-updated-10-18-2019-a.html

Back on Saturday October 12 I went over to a friends house who had DirecTV so I could see all four of those games in 4K. Wanted to experience channel surfing in 4K. I may not mind as much if you could stream the others that aren't on Dish from apps, like NBC, ESPN and FOX sports apps, but except for FOX, that's a big nope as well. Tonight I am going to stream the NFL game from the FOX Sports app, but lookee there, it is on a 4K channel on DirecTV. I feel ya my fellow sports TV watcher.

G Islands

I will update the chart to show dish and the NFL game tonight around 1730 EDT .

chart has been updated sorry for delay

Attachments

• October 2019 102419 1630EDT.pdf
    281.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Not happy with Dish's NFL 4K game.

By comparison the Fox Sports APP using AppleTV looks great.
Color is so much more vivid and accurate with HDR.

But also the Fox Sports APP to my eyes looks sharper and less noise when they show darker areas.

I go back and forth on my TV using the same HDMI jack so I'm going from memory.
But same results after several A/B comparisons. Dish just doesn't look nearly as good.
Something in the stripping of the HDR off the signal is impacting their picture.

The purple on the uniforms is excellent with the FS APP.
But more blue on the Dish and way, way less vivid with color to me.

Once again DISH 4K is a fail.
Yes there is a picture but you can get a picture on the HD channels.

Thanks DISH for "FINALLY" giving us the NFL in 4K and then doing a lousy job compared to your direct competition.
I'm sure the folks with Directv are enjoying the HDR version immensely. As are the FS APP but since you can't record the APP you must watch
live to appreciate it. Directv would allow you to record with HDR and watch later.

Glad DISH is such a self professed "Industry Leader" in the their own minds.
Of course this is the real proof. THEY AREN'T AT ALL. Just a "WANNA BE".
Industry Leaders LEAD and would never let their competition outshine them.

Anyone disagree with that assessment.

My disappointment with DISH grows daily.

Still EXTREMELY PISSED about losing all my sports nets.

And getting jerked around over the whole Fox channels debacle.

I really don't think DISH can do anything right these days.
Or even care about their customers.

Writing is on the wall for DISH and probably satellite TV. Within 2 years the internet TV revolution will
probably take most sat. customers in that direction.

My money will go where I get value and great bonus treatment.

Right now YoutubeTV with it's "Unlimited hours DVR" and "Unlimited Tuners recording at the same time" and 9 months backup on the DVR of the recordings.
Nobody can touch that. And I've heard it's all 720P 60P. Surely when they upgrade and start offering 4K channels and maybe bump to 1080P 60P it will be a tidal wave of change.

YoutubeTV seems hell bent on stealing customers from cable and satellite TV and young people could care less about cable and satellite they just stream. I'm not a fan of any provider.
I just want to watch the best picture and sound. What I want. When I want. And for the best price.

DISH better get it's s### together soon and start improving it's service.

Beginning with 4K WITH HDR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I'm only one customer but I get the vibe this ship has sailed and most are jumping ship soon.
NOW THAT WE FINALLY HAVE OPTIONS.

I will say one good thing about dish is the Hopper 3 DVR and old grey or black remote.
That is one thing that is still good with dish. Not perfect and not unlimited tuners in the cloud.
But it generally works. Is that enough to keep customers. No.

bjf

Last edited:
Bobby, you are right on the money, it did sparkle with HDR on the Fox Sports APP I used with AppleTV.

Sure would have liked to just use my DISH box to enjoy the game but watched it on the APP with the better picture.
Thanks dish for giving your customers No HDR and No Respect. On top of being late to the party of NFL 4K football.

bjf

Bobby, you are right on the money, it did sparkle with HDR on the Fox Sports APP I used with AppleTV.

Sure would have liked to just use my DISH box to enjoy the game but watched it on the APP with the better picture.
Thanks dish for giving your customers No HDR and No Respect. On top of being late to the party of NFL 4K football.

bjf
Ya know, I watched last week’s game on the Fox Sports app on my AppleTV because it wasn’t available on Dish but was available on the app using my Dish credential. It definitely was not HDR, just 4K. I have read many posts on AVS that say the same thing. There is no HDR on the apps. DirectTV has HDR and maybe Comcast but that’s it. I suppose you can force your Apple TV to output HDR for everything but that is pseudo HDR and the colors are not true.