4K Events Discussion Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Doesn’t DirecTV usually have both available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe their box can determine if your TV is HDR, any kind, compatible and push out what works best, much like the Apple TV for instance. DISH is doing it in an entirely different way having different channels. I’m unsure if the Hopper, or Joey, is capable of being updated to allow something similar to DirecTV.

I believe their box can determine if your TV is HDR, any kind, compatible and push out what works best, much like the Apple TV for instance. DISH is doing it in an entirely different way having different channels. I’m unsure if the Hopper, or Joey, is capable of being updated to allow something similar to DirecTV.
Yet another reason why Dish needs to come up with a newer version of the Hopper. ;)

Reactions: TheKrell
So, it must come down to money.

Since the box can’t determine if the TV is HDR capable, the simple solution would be to have the programming available on both -01 and -02 and let the viewer decide which one to watch. If you’re watching on a ‘non-HDR’ box only -01 will show. If you’re watching on an H3, you will have a choice.

Why limit all of us H3 customers? We’re only getting the washed out programming on -01 now. Give us a choice.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the box can’t determine if the TV is HDR capable...
Based on posts made by people here during the last Olympics, the Hopper 3 can determine if the TV is HDR capable, since they were getting Error messages on 540-02 when trying to view that content on non-HDR 4K TV's. It is not entirely fool-proof, though, as I remember there were also some posts from people with certain HDR capable TV's who also saw the Error messages, requiring them to do some tweaking to their TV's settings or swap HDMI cables in order to get the Errors to go away. Perhaps the Hopper 3 software still needs to be tweaked to help eliminate this problem in as many cases as possible, before Dish can provide any content on 540-02 with any confidence that it will work properly without any such finagling.

Reactions: charlesrshell
OK, so the Super Bowl is going to be in 4K. Usually a good thing but . . . half the reason you watch the Super Bowl is for the commercials especially if you could care less about the teams playing. No commercials on the 4K feed (usually a good thing) I think I will be letting my TV up covert to 4K :)

Reactions: pattykay
OK, so the Super Bowl is going to be in 4K. Usually a good thing but . . . half the reason you watch the Super Bowl is for the commercials especially if you could care less about the teams playing. No commercials on the 4K feed (usually a good thing) I think I will be letting my TV up covert to 4K :)
The 4K Super Bowl will include the commercials....

Great, I'll be watching it in 4K then. For some reason I'm no longer receiving notifications on this thread. It's a gmail address, logged into the web interface to make sure gmail wasn't blocking it (I hate that they do that) but not hung up there. Both this thread and the non discussion 4K thread have stopped coming in. As far as I can tell all the setting are set up for receiving notifications ??????

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but for those who are going to watch the Super Bowl on channel 540-01, be prepared to see a washed out picture. The last several events, basketball and football, have looked that way. I hope I'm wrong.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
This just in: The AVS Forum is alive with news that the Fox Sports, and all other Fox, apps will be taken off Roku devices tomorrow. Looks like a negotiation is going on. So, if you were planning on watching the Super bowl in 4K HDR on your Roku, think again. Maybe they will have it figured out in time.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell and dtv757
I downloaded the Fox Sports app on my Sony XBR-65X900E TV and activated it using my Dish account. I did this since my TV will do HDR but channel Dish 540-01 will not do HDR. My internet speeds are 111 Mbps download, 12 Mbps upload, 12 ms ping, and 3 ms jitter. The TV is hard wired to my Gigabit home network.

Testing the Fox Sports app I noticed the streaming kept pausing as if my connection was poor. Yet my TV internet speed showed as 110 Mbps. I am guessing that a lot of new customers are testing out the Fox Sports app and the Fox Sports servers are having problems. I hope I am wrong but I want to warn everybody who are planning to stream the Super Bowl tomorrow.

To test further I watched FS1 on Dish channel 150 to make sure that the problem was not due to the broadcast. There were no pauses with the Dish broadcast of the soccer game. I will test the Fox Sports on my 4K Roku next.

The Fox Sports app on my Roku 4 did not have any pausing. I have to assume that the problem is with the Fox Sports app on my Sony TV. The Android version of the Fox Sports app on my Sony TV is 3.23.0

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby
I downloaded the Fox Sports app on my Sony XBR-65X900E TV and activated it using my Dish account. I did this since my TV will do HDR but channel Dish 540-01 will not do HDR. My internet speeds are 111 Mbps download, 12 Mbps upload, 12 ms ping, and 3 ms jitter. The TV is hard wired to my Gigabit home network.

Testing the Fox Sports app I noticed the streaming kept pausing as if my connection was poor. Yet my TV internet speed showed as 110 Mbps. I am guessing that a lot of new customers are testing out the Fox Sports app and the Fox Sports servers are having problems. I hope I am wrong but I want to warn everybody who are planning to stream the Super Bowl tomorrow.

To test further I watched FS1 on Dish channel 150 to make sure that the problem was not due to the broadcast. There were no pauses with the Dish broadcast of the soccer game. I will test the Fox Sports on my 4K Roku next.

The Fox Sports app on my Roku 4 did not have any pausing. I have to assume that the problem is with the Fox Sports app on my Sony TV. The Android version of the Fox Sports app on my Sony TV is 3.23.0

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
If that's the case, what will happen tomorrow at 6:30p ET?

This is a streamjng issue with growning implications...
Reality is that only a fraction of 'viewers' are yet dedicated streamers.
Most still use cable, sat or ota.
Each of those does not require a dedicated single feed for each viewer.
Yes, accepting that cable needs enough 'power' in the line to divide the signal.
But relativly, they push one signal and the number of veiwers does not affect the source.

Streaming requires a dedicated stream to each destintation.
As more viewers turn to streaming, more servers will be needed to service EACH viewer.
Overcrowded servers during large volume programming will effect product from the source to end viewer.

Think dialup AOL without enough servers to handle number of customers dialing in.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: dweber
This is an illustration of the overhead that streaming sites will more and more encounter and having to install more servers and more and more bandwidth to service streaming will mean their costs rise and in the not-to-distant future we will see the same problems with escalating streaming subscription costs as we now see with Satellite and cable.

Streaming sites can't just pump out a stream and everybody gets it like cable or satellite.

Linear TV is better equipped to handle mass live market TV distribution than is streaming.