4K Events Discussion Thread

Your Hopper3 is not handshaking correctly to your TV because 540-01 is 3840 x2160 4K on my TV.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Interesting all 3 4K TVs are reporting 1080i H3 And 2 4K Joeys.

firestick 4K with fox sports on all 3 TVs show 1080p.

Here is my 4K Roku.

615fba95ebfa7b112122151119a77e12.jpg

2e6ab66bd01cd984d5ba143e99613eb0.jpg

I just checked again and my Sony TV displays 3840 x 2160 4K Dolby Digital for Hopper3 channel 540-01. It has been recording. I even switched to OTA Fox 28.1 and the display went to 1080i HD.
I then went back to 540-01 and the display went back to 3840 x 2160 4K.

So my HDR-10 4K TV has it in 4K HDR but my non HDR 4K TVs have 1080i.

So it looks like HDR-10 is a requirement for the feed not sure.

The top picture is my dish 4k and the bottom is my roku 4k/HDR feed. The HDR is so washed out. QUOTE]

I have noticed just the opposite. The colors on my Roku 4 are brighter and more vivid than the Hopper3 colors.

It almost embarrassing that Dish is hyping their non-HDR 4K offering simply because it is so washed out. It sort of looks like a colorized black and white film. The sharpness is great and all but almost negated by the dull colors.

My ranking from the pregame shows:

1) Dish OTA Fox local
2) Dish provided Fox local
3) 540-01

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The feed is a upvert from 1080p ....Fox did this for the first Super bowl HD broadcast @ 740p.

Roku most likely paid FOX for the HDR feed.

“broadcast the game and half-time show (as well as its pre- and post-game coverage) natively in 1080p/60 frames-per-second HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma, an HDR standard). Then Fox will upconvert it to 2160p/60fps for the 4K/Ultra HD version.”

I blame Fox....

Fox Sports gears up for 4K HDR broadcast at Super Bowl 2020

• Angry
Reactions: TheKrell
I have been flipping through Local OTA, DISH 4K, Fire TV 4K and Roku 4K, and while the colors are not as vivid on the DISH feed, the picture quality is the best on DISH.

Of course on all of them, no matter what the indicator on the screen says, none of this is real 4K.

I hope people don't think this is what real 4K looks like.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell and GregN
The feed is a upvert from 1080p ....Fox did this for the first Super bowl HD broadcast @ 740p.

Roku most likely paid FOX for the HDR feed.

“broadcast the game and half-time show (as well as its pre- and post-game coverage) natively in 1080p/60 frames-per-second HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma, an HDR standard). Then Fox will upconvert it to 2160p/60fps for the 4K/Ultra HD version.”

I blame Fox....

Fox Sports gears up for 4K HDR broadcast at Super Bowl 2020
I cant speak for dish

But the picture looks amazing via DirecTV. Others on AVS forum also agree .

it's the 1st ever "4k" production. Let's see what CBS and or NBC do in the next few years .

But I still praise fox for doing the most "4k" events than any other usa broadcaster .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just went down stairs and checked out the DIRECTV 4K feed. It looks washed out like the Roku 4K and Fire TV 4K does. Almost like the brightness is too high. Its just too bad I dont have all these things hooked up to the same TV.

I just went down stairs and checked out the DIRECTV 4K feed. It looks washed out like the Roku 4K and Fire TV 4K does. Almost like the brightness is too high. Its just too bad I dont have all these things hooked up to the same TV.
That is strange. I had to switch my picture from Calibrated Dark to regular Calibrated on the Vizio P Series TV. I normally watch in Dark as I do most of my watching at night with a dark room. My setup goes from the Fire TV Cube (V2) through an Oykno A/V to the TV. Might be something in the way different TVs handles the signal?

I don’t think the 4K TVs know how to handle HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma, an HDR standard).Just HDR 10 and Dolby Vision ...

Fox is to Blame for this mess...

I don’t think the 4K TVs know how to handle HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma, an HDR standard).Just HDR 10 and Dolby Vision ...

Fox is to Blame for this mess...
I thought HLG was just an OTA broadcast format and not used in other medias. Some new Samsung, Panasonic, HiSense and Sony TVs support it. Some older one can via firmware upgrades.